1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Training camp quote

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    This isn't a Dolphins quote but I thought it was something I would share as we go through training camp and dissect every nuance of what's happening.

"Shanahan on Sherman getting burned at practice and using it as a teaching moment":

“I just used it as an example,” Shanahan told reporters. “You guys have got to put yourselves in these players’ shoes. We didn’t used to get reports of stats on our practices and I don’t get the reports and judge our guys off of them. You tell everyone to ignore them, but I guarantee people hear it, their wives hear it, someone hears it.

“You know Jimmy [Garoppolo’s] completion percentage every day, how many picks he threw, and I just try to put myself in players’ shoes. You’re going out trying to practice and get better at stuff, trying new things, stuff you don’t always do in games and you’re getting reports on stuff that you had a bad completion percentage or you can’t do this. That stuff worries me for players because now I’m afraid they’re going to go there and be like, ‘Man, I know you want to try this new thing, but I don’t want this to go viral for the next week, I don’t want people to say I can’t throw this type of ball.’ Then they don’t get better and they just try to survive the day so they can please people who don’t really know what they’re working on. It takes a very mentally strong person to not care about that.

Puka-head and KeyFin like this.