1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travis Kelce

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Boomer, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Best tight end in the draft and I'm not even joking. I will expand after my dinner. But this guy is ridiculous.

2. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I was thinking not enough pure speed, then I saw this play at 3:00, which is nice- especially for a physical player of his size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtYA0VQGBLM

He just ran away from the DB, which surprised me.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I think best all around. He's a weapon as a receiver, but so are Ertz, Eifert, Escobar, and Reed. He can block but so can Williams. Thing is, Kelce does all of it in a better total package than the others.

4. Finsanity247

Finsanity247 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Miami, FL
    I like him a ton. Perfect target in Round Two. Reliable, solid blocker, more athletic then given credit for

5. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Had to have a glass of wine over dinner just to calm myself down. Travis Kelce. Where have you been all my life?

This kid is special. First off, look at the frame. That upper body.....he looks like a wardrobe. Then watch him block. Locks on, locks his arms, stays in perfect position, drops his hips, power through the thighs, steers where necessary, blocks on the move. Often motions down then blocks back inside on power runs through the B gap or option runs. He can block down the field as well. Interestingly, the only block I've seen him miss comes against Duke when he misses on a reverse, but all of a sudden he's down the field in front of the receiver and steering a linebacker out of the way for about twenty yards. It's textbook.

He's quick off the line of scrimmage, quicker than Ertz. In the short and intermediate area he does a good job as a receiver, boxing out the defender. But it's the nuances of his route running that are so special. Head fakes and manipulations of the shoulder at the top of the route. It's stuff you rarely see in college. You kinda watch him and you think he probably has decent speed but then he catches a ball, jumps over two guys, weaves his way in and out of another two with acceleration and athleticism and boom, he's forty yards down field. Then against Duke, it's 34 all and he takes a seam route 86 yards for six, catching in double coverage thirty yards down the field and then changes down a gear and runs away from the safety and the corner like he's Usain Bolt against children. It's ridiculous. Sorry, but this is the best tight end in the draft. And he's going in round one.

Marco, Zanno, Ludacris and 7 others like this.
  6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Suspended for the entire 2010 season- violation of "team rules". I wonder what that was about.

Bpk likes this.
  7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Haven't watched him yet. Certainly will now.

I haven't seen a slam dunk first round TE yet and I watched Ertz, Eifert (borderline 1st, high 2nd), Escobar and Reed... Plus some bad guys.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Wow...I've been a Kelce fan for a while but Simon's making me look like a Chelsea fan.

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Ha ha. Love it!! :)

10. Finsanity247

Finsanity247 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Boomer is Simon? Tremendous write up

11. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Been saying for a while now that if Kelce had on golden head gear, he would be getting talked about as the best tight end prospect in the draft. Kelce's biggest problem right now is that he plays for Cincinnati and not a bigger name program. He's everything Ertz and Eifert are, but he's also a much better blocker. A complete tight end, IMO.

Ludacris likes this.
  12. MrClean

Yes, and he likes to do...drawings. :shifty:

ajaffe9 and ckparrothead like this.
  13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    UC's even had him take direct snaps in a pseudo Wildcat formation and run the ball.

14. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's certainly the kind of tight end I'd like to see the team draft. You might not end up with a Jason Witten or Rob Gronkowsk, but a real tight end would be nice.

This I think is really a hugely important question about him.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think he's a hell of a blocker, like how he sneaks and plays low comin out of his stance and during the route, like how he deeks and sets up his defender, can run good routes for a man 260, but I don't see him being better than Eifert, Eifert has more athletic prowess to me, much bigger catch radius, appreciate the conviction on the player, gives me hope that another player in a need position could be available if we don't get Eifert.

16. MrClean

You may need to change your rankings to Ertz, Kelce and then Eifert. :shifty:

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Who says I have Ertz as 2nd.

18. MrClean

You don't have Ertz first anymore? :)

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Am I gonna have to wait the mandatory three years before you concede on this one?

20. MrClean

Just kidding with ya my young friend. You are right in that Eifert will probably and most likely be the 1st TE to be drafted. :bighug:

21. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Eifert and Kelce are a long way clear of Ertz.

Disgustipate likes this.
  22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I've been plugging Travis Kelce since Christmas. :huh:

But seriously this kid has shot up draft boards, and rightfully so.

23. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Boomer - No chance we snag him in round 2?

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Depends if he gets there, my man.

25. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Very interesting - great stuff as usual, Simon.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh is this a pissing contest? Heh.

http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?73404-Tyler-Eifert&p=1919619&viewfull=1#post1919619

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  27. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    He makes plays, but he also creates opportunities for others.

[​IMG]

Cincinnati is running a double slot on this play, with Kelce as the inside slot guy. Kelce is going to run a dig pattern with the other slot receiver running a post in behind his dig.

[​IMG]

Notice how three defenders converge on Kelce's dig route. The safety comes up. Honestly, I'm not sure what the guy on the outside slot guy was doing. He's opened to the outside watching the outside receiver on the play. The slot guy running the post behind Kelce's dig gets an easy touchdown with the safety cleared.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  28. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I couldn't pin place it at first, but now as I look at a couple of other videos, Kelce seems to have a long body and shorter legs than Eifert or Ertz.

I really like Eifert's athleticism as a receiver a bit better. His body seems to pretty flexible and he doesn't look as stiff as Kelce. But Kelce is a block as a blocker.

djphinfan likes this.
  29. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm probably in the minority but I'm not overly excited by Kelce. He seems like a Fasano 2.0 guy- great blocking TE but not much more than a JAG as a receiving threat. He looks like a quality prospect but I don't see him representing the best fit for our offense. Personally, I'd rather spend a 4th or 5th on Gragg and save our 2nd for WR, RT, DE, or CB.

If we're hypothetically taking a TE in the 2nd round I think it'd be better to use 2a on Eifert (if he's there) than 2b on Kelce.

30. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I don't think we draft a te in the 2nd, not with the talent at wr de ol lb s maybe even cb.

I think a good te will fall to our 3rd.

I could see us going into the season with clay fauria mustrud and egnew.

Mustrud would obviously be our blocker. I would like to add walker.

31. MrClean

Maybe it seems I just want to be contrary, but I like them in this order: Ertz, Eifert, Escobar, Kelce, Reed, McDonald. But, I'd be happy with any of them, and even more with any two of them. IMO, this is a good draft to double up on TE.

32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    My combo of preference would be Eifert-Gragg followed by McDonald-Gragg. IMO some of those other guys are too similar to Egnew.

IMO Gragg is > Reed

33. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I mentioned Kelce in, er, 2009.

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    ...."a trainwreck character-wise"...

and..

"PFW has learned that Kelce was scheduled to meet on Friday with the Chiefs, Raiders, Bills, Saints, 49ers, Patriots, Dolphins, Packers, Cowboys and Rams. Absent from that list: the Eagles and Browns, his brother’s team and his hometown team, respectively. That, however, is not significant; teams meet with players throughout the draft process at different venues: all-star games, private workouts, Pro Days, and so on."

35. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I saw that re the train wreck. I don't believe it. I've read a lot of articles on him the last couple of days which strike the opposite note. I just don't believe anything written around now.

36. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    My question would be as to the details as to why he was suspended all of 2010.

37. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    On the message boards of Cincy it said it was rumoured to be after a bad block on his knees, there was an offense vs defense fight and he went Miami Hurricane and started swinging his helmet as a weapon and took someone out.

Disgustipate likes this.
  38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jason Kelce?

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  39. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Kelce Grammer.

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    he's a graduate from my high school. Not that anyone cares.