1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troy Vincent suggests starting a developmental league

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Unlucky 13, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...cent-wants-to-explore-a-developmental-league/

I've been in favor of the concept for years. I don't want a MLB-style minors system, where players are sent down or called up to their parent NFL team. What I'd like to see is some type of academy set up where the players are signed out of high school, and spend three years learning football the NFL way. Live on campus, eat what the league feeds them, constant drug tests and monitoring. Players learn on the practice field and in the classroom about NFL offenses and defenses, about league history, and about how to carry yourself as a NFL player. In the fall, games are staged between 10 or so teams each week on a night that the league usually doesn't have games (Tue or Wed).

It would be like one continuous three year combine and teams would have a VERY clear picture of what the player can and cannot do. Pay the players an increasing sum (say, 50k, 100k, 200k) while they are in the program, and try to set something up with the NCAA where the player or league could opt out after the first year if the player just isn't making it, and he would still be eligible to play in college. Since the player would have all of his needs taken care of by the league, I don't see why there would be a need for a huge salary.

They would come into the draft like a true Junior at 20 or 21 years old primed for a good NFL career.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I've always thought if we had our own team it would work, has to be same colors and everything..I would watch every game.

Also think the dolphin network would work..

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    But then how would the collegiate racket survive and make Billions?

4. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Maybe using real student atheletes and not kids that are only there to play football, but who really want an education? As long as college football exists, no matter if the plaers go onto the NFL or not, people will watch.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it could work. What I would do is have two NFL teams (one AFC, one NFC) share a team. Plus, me, being me, I'd like to have a team in Fort Lauderdale, call them the Orcas.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that it would be much easier, logistically, to simply have all of the players in one central, warm weather location, where they can train and learn together all year long. Maybe Orlando, maybe LA, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, ect. Not a "call up" system, like minor league baseball.

7. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah I think with the size of NFL teams compared to other sports, having at least 2 NFL parents per DLeague team would probably be needed to help keep overall talent levels up. The NFL I think is overreliant on college atm to produce players, but the thing is colleges don't prepare players for the NFL, they prepare them to win college games at any cost. A DLeague would definitely help prospects who wish to improve certain skills, or swap positions, etc, without teams needing to really rely on them immediately.

8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Id be more worried about guys getting any education, this school wouldnt result in higher success rates for players, just greater competition.

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I disagree. If a player is trained, both body and mind, by the NFL itself for three years, and each team has equal ability to get everything on him, I think that the "bust rate" would go down tremendously with these kids. No getting into trouble off campus. No laziness, because the kid is gone if he is. No worries if he can pick up an offense or a defense. I think that the sucess rates would be through the roof with the guys teams pick high.