1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tua Had Memory Issues After Green Bay Game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Jan 10, 2023.

If Tua is cleared in time, should he play against Buffalo?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    https://dolphinnation.com/2023/01/0...er-suffering-concussion-vs-green-bay-packers/

This would explain everything we see going on- why he's not in meetings, why he wasn't on the sidelines, etc. They're taking it slow intentionally to protect him. The team is expecting more clarity on the situation tomorrow (Wednesday).

I also added a poll to get a better sense of where everyone's opinion is at on Tua playing again this season. I personally voted 'no' since I don't want him to take the risk; I'd rather see him enjoy the offseason, heal up, and make a decision about his career next summer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    resnor and dolphin25 like this.
  2. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    For his sake I hope he doesn't play. But I voted yes if cleared.

I personally feel his starting career in Miami should be over. The injuries he has suffered in total are enough for me to say Miami should look elsewhere next year. You can't have your starter missing 3-6 games a year.

If he's cleared to play and he wants to play, then he should. When that next concussion occurs, this year or next, he's likely out of the league anyway. So play if you want to, as your time is likely drawing to a close.

resnor, KeyFin and StaleTacos like this.
  3. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    I do not expect him to be cleared to play again this season. Maybe if the Fins were to go on a run and make the Super Bowl with Teddy and Skylar (), he could be ready to go with another month of rest. I really like him and wanted him to do well, but I have sincere doubts about his future in this league. Nobody wants to see a Jim McMahon situation happen to this young man.

This is going to be a pivotal offseason for this franchise, with questions at GM, QB, DC (for starters) needing to be addressed. There are lots of options out there, hopefully they make the right decisions. Who knows, maybe the Ravens are dumb enough to let Lamar hit FA. That would certainly shake things up.

resnor, dolphin25 and KeyFin like this.
  4. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Going to be super cringy if they force this man to play.

Only reason he stopped playing was the coaches told him to go see someone. If they don't, is he still playing? This isn't someone who is going to be honest about where he's at with a playoff game and his career in the balance.

resnor, dolphin25 and KeyFin like this.
  5. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    But, our DE retired from football because of concussions, came back and is playing very well. It is not always a final issue.

OwesOwn614 and KeyFin like this.
  6. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Lamar gets injured just as much as Tua and now you have coaches leaking to the press that he is lazy to go with it. I just don't understand why people want to throw $250M at a running QB who gets injured.

As for Tua, if he is medically cleared and he wants to play why shouldn't he? Kenny Pickett has had 2 concussions this year (and he's a rookie) but I don't hear anyone saying the Steelers should have pulled him for the season or that he should retire if he gets another one. Tua knows the risks when playing this game, so if he is happy to play I don't see why he shouldn't.

7. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    TBQH, I just feel like, on the low, some people are hoping Tua retires. Not for his well being, but because they want him off the team that badly.

As it is, as much as I want him to play, if the doctors say he is a no-go, then he's a no-go.

Phin McCool, JJ_79 and Fireland like this.
  8. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    It's very simple. If a doctor says he can play, and Tua wants to play, that's it.

If a doctor says Tua can't play, that's it.

If a doctor says Tua can play, and Tua doesn't want to play, that's it.

When someone brings up the "his life is in peril" garbage, that's what's cringe.

MonstBlitz, aesop and Silverphin like this.
  9. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    I voted no. Not because of health reasons though. I'd rather give either Thompson or Bridgewater a full week of practice and preparation for this game than throwing Tua back out there with little to no preparation with the offense. If Tua can't practice yet then it should have already been decided that if a miracle happens and they pull out an upset then he plays next round. I just think there isn't enough time left to get Tua ready for Sunday.

dolphin25 and KeyFin like this.
  10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Tua is the only QB we have that gives us a fighting chance of winning this game. He played well both times against Buffalo. No reason he can't do so again. The drop-off in QB ability is massive from Tua. So if Tua is cleared he has to be the QB.

dolphin25, Springveldt and KeyFin like this.
  11. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016

I’m not advocating for the pursuit of Lamar, should he become available, but plenty of teams will, and that might shake something loose that isn’t readily apparent at the moment.

I would let Tua recuperate and see where he’s at in a couple of months.

dolphin25, Springveldt and KeyFin like this.
  12. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    If Tua had a full week of practice I would agree with you. I just think the window is too small to try to get him ready to go considering he hasn't even practiced in three weeks. He came back against Pittsburgh very nervous and rusty. That was a home game against (at the time) a really bad Steelers team. He'll be running into a buzzsaw against Buffalo. I think they should go with Thompson, game plan to run plenty, and hope Josh Allen continues to turn the ball over.

13. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Well, remember that Ross really wanted us to drat Lamar Jackson. If he's available, there will at least be conversations.

14. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    We dont have the space anyways to get Lamar here and it would include giving up draft picks which we also dont have much to give up. Lamar is getting the tag again, whether he likes it or not. Ravens arent letting him walk without compensation.

15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    That's a very nice way of putting the situation. They are going slowly because there is a massive risk of prolonged/permanent neurological damage.

Tua should absolutely not play again this season, imo. Try to get healthy and strong, and make one more go at it next season.

KeyFin likes this.
  16. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    This, all of this. This is what I've been trying to explain to people. These concussions are much more significant for Tua than the concussions other players sometimes get. I agree, his next concussion will likely be his last NFL concussion.

17. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Did Pickett have ANY neurological problems that Tua has had? Just having concussions isn't the issue.

KeyFin likes this.
  18. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    You're sick. You want a man who is legitimately risking his brain to play just to entertain you.

You and others have labeled myself and a few others as Tua haters, yet WE are the ones who are concerned with his long-term health. You can spew whatever ad hom you want, you can argue that we don't actually care about his long-term health, I don't care.

Sceeto likes this.
  19. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Isn’t every player that steps on the field risking their brain? Everyone is one hit from their career being over.

If a doctor has cleared him then medically he is fit to play. Do we just say “nope, he’s medically cleared, he wants to play but let’s wrap him in cotton wool until next season”?

Do we have to wait some arbitrary time after being medically cleared before he is allowed to play again?

Personally, I don’t think he will be medically cleared for the game so it’s a moot point. I don’t think the NFL wants him to play again this season since he’s had so much media focus.

20. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    You are not concerned with anyone's long term health or else you wouldn't be watching this brutal sport. Offensive lineman and defensive lineman smash their heads into each other 50+ times a game.

Enough with the holier than thou nonsense.

I don't care if he ever plays another down, I would respect his decision to retire if that's what he really wanted. But, he obviously doesn't. It's his choice to keep going.

I'm not his father or his mother. I don't have to care about his long-term health. It's not my concern.

It's up to actual doctors and the man himself.

Puka-head likes this.
  21. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Society us so divided that even things like brain damage is a debate. They classify concussions as nothing but headaches.

there were actual so called humans out there that believed the monday night football game should have continued even though all players and coaches witnessed a player have cpr performed on him and unresponsive. Literally a brother in the locker room could have been dead but hey, play football.

its despicable and monster mentality.

with that said, whether Tua wants to continue playing or not does not rest on him. That decision will be made by Mike, Grier and Ross. If Ross wants to let this concussion story continue to put a black cloud over his franchise, he will have to sign off on it. He will also be signing off on any potential litigation that comes with playing Tua, should Tua be forced into retirement because his brains are scrambled and then he or his estate sue the NFL and or dolphins for the damages to his brain. Almost every former player has been involved in a concussion lawsuit.

resnor likes this.
  22. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No, they are not at all at the same risk.i can't believe you would even approach the argument from that angle. CLEARLY Tua is far more at risk of significant head trauma resulting from run-of-the-mill tackles.

23. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Oh please. You don't discuss anything in good faith. You did exactly what I said you would do.

You're acting like football is like watching gladiators. Get a grip.

And it actually isn't up to Tua at all.

Sceeto likes this.
  24. plc001

plc001 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I want tua to play just so I can watch all these virtue signalers have emotional meltdowns, because they know better than tua and his team of doctors…

y’all are the absolute worst.

dolphin25 likes this.
  25. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Wtf are you even talking about? It's like you guys have paid ZERO attention to all the information over the past 10 years regarding concussions and CTE.

It's not "virtue signaling." It's caring about a fellow human more than carrying about a meaningless sports ball game. It's sick that people care more about winning a game then the dudes long-term heath. My opinion is Tua is stupid to rush his long-term health, and frankly I'd be shocked if there is any team in the NFL willing to putt their eggs in the Tua basket.

And the reason why that is, is EXACTLY because of the things us "haters" and "virtue signalers" are saying, and being mocked by ignorant narcissistic posters.

Sceeto and StaleTacos like this.
  26. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Probably shouldn't imply he is soft and the team is soft because he wasn't on the sidelines if you want to pretend to care about his health

Springveldt and RGF like this.
  27. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    What problems would those be? Memory issues are an indicator of a concussion, so it's reasonable to assume that he had those.

dolphin25 and Springveldt like this.
  28. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    CTE and concussions are not the same thing. CTE is a danger for anyone playing football regardless of them ever suffering a concussion. That we are cheering players doing an activity that is going to give them CTE is something that every football fan should come to grips with and has no bearing on Tua's situation.

*edit To be clear not every player is going to get CTE, but someone is.

29. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    With 3 concussions this year, I don’t think it’s worth risking his brain and health long term for a game.

30. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Especially a game where they are going to possibly be missing two OTs.

mlb1399 likes this.
  31. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    I read a study on CTE and it said 97% of NFL players who have been tested had it. 60% who made it to college level had it and 25% of High School level had it. They can only test post mortem so the statistics could be inflated but it's probably more common than you think.

Two Tacos likes this.
  32. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    The fencing response. Memory loss. If memory loss is so common, why report it? It is common to not remember things that occurred right around the impact that causes the concussion, but memory loss is not the same thing.

ESPECIALLY when he had memory loss and a concussion on a tackle that would not have that effect on almost any other NFL player.

Is this forum so blind that we are now going to be arguing that Tua isn't experiencing different things than most NFL players?

Sceeto likes this.
  33. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I never implied he was soft. I was calling out players who don't care that he's not on the sideline.

Then we got more information that he is not really moving through the protocol, and it made more sense.

However, calling them soft has nothing to do with my concerns for the wellbeing of a player.

How you think the two are in any way connected is perplexing.

Sceeto likes this.
  34. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No **** they're separate things. I never said they were the same thing. You guys are really stretching to try to play gotcha games.

How does one acquire CTE, though?

35. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    I had a concussion when I was a kid. I remember everything to this day like it was yesterday except hitting the windshield.

resnor likes this.
  36. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Everyone is always twisting resnors words. Everyone.

37. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Right, that's what I'm saying. I had a concussion when I was like 14, and I remember basically everything until I hit my head.

Tuanon4Life likes this.
  38. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No, you just assume whatever the **** you want regarding what I write, and assume whatever the **** you want about my personal thoughts, even when you are told that you are wrong. It's not twisting words, it's being a disingenuous poster.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    Sceeto likes this.
  39. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    It honestly sounds like you have just found another avenue towards pushing your anti-Tua agenda. Now all of a sudden you care about his life and safety and he should just retire because it's for the best. That would conveniently add extra support to your agenda of him being too injury prone to make it in the NFL. I highly doubt you actually "care" and if this was Justin Herbert you'd be singing a different song. You'd be saying "man I hope he makes it back" but because it's Tua and you don't like him, you think it's best he retires. But you've also found a way to attack other posters that are holding out hope that he plays against Buffalo which is well played. I mean you have really gone to tremendous lengths to push your agenda. FWIW, I too think Tua should hang it up at this point. As someone that supports this team and players, I don't want to see things get any worse for him. Now if I'm wrong on your part, I do apologize, but your concern for him does not have a genuine tone to it. You've been bashing him for three years now so excuse me if I don't buy in to what you're trying to do.

RGF likes this.
  40. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Wait... You are taking your medical information from sports reporters? There is no reason to debate someone so misinformed.

https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/concussion_symptoms.html

dolphin25 likes this.