Tua...''He's the greatest prospect ever''

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Sep 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Moon and Tark were great, but Moon rarely ran and averaged 8 yards rushing per game. Young was a pass first QB by a lot. Cunningham wasn’t an all time great. Same with Vick. Splashy plays, like what LJ and JA make are nice, but rarely win championships.

The_Dark_Knight and resnor like this.
  2. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Vick was fun to watch and as I've said multiple times if he couldn't make the run first QB work then I don't think anyone ever will. I don't think of Moon as a run first QB at all btw.

Cunningham, again fun to watch but I never think of him as an all time great. Same with McNair, very good QB but I wouldn't class as an all time great. Interestingly both Cunningham and McNair's rushing yardages start falling off a cliff after year 8, might be something to watch out for in Buffalo.

Tarkenton is way before my time but I am aware of him. His rushing yardages also decrease dramatically after year 8.

I'm assuming that Young is Steve rather than Vince as surely no one thinks of Vince Young as a great QB. Hell he might be Justin Fields v1.

Also I'm not sure the game has moved on a ton. It's probably that perception because of Mahomes but he's actually a pocket passer who can run if he needs to but he is a pass first QB. Buffalo were trying to make Allen that but were going to miss the playoffs so reverted to letting him shorten his career, Baltimore are trying to make Lamar that but he is still a much bigger threat with his legs and he has the number 1 rushing attack and defence in the league helping him.

3. DPhinz_Dphinz

DPhinz_Dphinz New Member

Feb 10, 2024
    When Eichenberg was getting pushed back I'd see an open man in the flat AND an open crosser...but he waited 3 seconds for Hill to clear.

Tua is going to face pressure vs good defenses because they know the offense is about timing and the recipient of that timing is Tyreke Hill...Tua's fault for locking on Hill.

Blitzes are so successful against us because of the above mentioned flaws of Tua and compounded by the play coming in late so often. This leaves Tua no time to check out (has he ever done so in this offense?) of a play.

This leaves a good DC to wait for the late play call, jam Hill because that is the target come hell or high-water and send one at Tua. Chances are slim that he avoids the 1st tackler.

StaleTacos likes this.
  4. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014

Most of this is just flat wrong and made up.

Keep trying though, "new guy".

5. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Cunningham is a HoFer. All time great in my book. I mean, at least don't act like he wasn't a great player. And you're minimizing Vick.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if you want to argue. Those guess ran. Oh I left out Elway. These dudes were running when it wasn't really a thing. So it was even more effective, and they didn't have to run a bunch...plus back then you got actually murdered by the linebackers if they got you.

The point was, having mobile/running QBs isn't really a novel thing, as people continue to want to argue. I mean how many decades of effectiveness just we have before we stop calling it a novelty?

Puka-head likes this.
  6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I never said "run first."

I said "dual threats."

Vick gets minimized mostly because people still hate him for the dog ****.

7. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Oh really??

Tua vs the blitz:
    Passer rating 130.09
    25/36
    286 yards
    4 TDs
    0 Int
    0 sacks

8. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The secret for defeating Vick was keeping him in the pocket and not let him get outside.

We decimated Vick in December 2001, holding him to 11/20 for 214 yards, 1 TD and 2 Int.

Dual threat quarterbacks have flashes that make highlight reels but when it comes to winning championships, they fail more often than they succeed.

Keep them in the pocket and force them to play quarterback.

9. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    lol… Randall Cunningham isn’t in the HoF and he never will be.
    Cunningham was a good player, he wasn’t an all time great and not close to being a HoF’er.

Vick was a career 55% completion % passer. He could run fast, but couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Not an all time great… or HoF’er. lol

10. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

I loved watching Vick play as he was a human highlight reel that could take off at any moment. He gets minimized because although he had a cannon for an arm he was widely inaccurate and had no touch on his passes, everything was a missile. He just wasn't good at the QB part of the game when you kept him in the pocket.

It's no surprise his best years passing the ball came with Andy Reid.

The "dual threat" QB's that are in the HOF are there because they were actually pocket passers who could scramble. The vast majority of them didn't actually have any run plays designed into the scheme for them the way Allen, Jackson and Fields have.

danmarino, resnor and JJ_79 like this.
  11. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Again, you're arguing something in not saying.

The simple fact is, they were guys who could run, and they would run. It made them more effective.

Being able to run yourself makes you much more dangerous. I truly don't understand why people want to minimize it, especially since running QBs are so commonplace at this point in the league.

All I'm saying is that guys who can run and throw have always been around, they are in the HoF, and being able to do both makes you more effective, and it's not sooner novelty.

Puka-head and Springveldt like this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Steve young was the best dual threat because his runs were consciously calculated imo

resnor likes this.
  13. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    FanDuel weighs in:

[​IMG]

14. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    :sidelol:

Csonka Marino likes this.
  15. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    The level of hate and disrespect is astounding.

16. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Purdy should be where Stafford is if not higher. Would put Tua in that 10-15 range.

resnor likes this.
  17. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Illegal substances must've been consumed before this list was made.

Csonka Marino and danmarino like this.
  18. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014

I think Mahomes is the only one in the right spot.

19. Csonka Marino

Csonka Marino Season Ticket Holder

Mar 22, 2013
    Florida
    Just some positive thoughts on the Dolphins future.

RGF, resnor and danmarino like this.
  20. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    This week, General Manager Chris Grier told reporters that the organization has been in contact with Tagovailoa’s representation since the start of the offseason and would continue talks at the scouting combine.

“Our goal is to try and get something done,” Grier said, via Alain Poupart of SI.com. “[Tagovailoa’s agent] Ryan Williams has been great. Tua has been great. We’ll see. There is no timeline on it. At the end of the day, you know how these deals get done. They are complicated deals and we’re building a team through free agency as well. We’ll work through it and see if we can get something done.

“I think we’re hopeful. When you go through these things — you guys have all been around and you see other teams go through that — these are deals that very rarely come together quickly. There are a lot of pieces and moving parts. We’ve had positive discussions so far, and we’ll keep working here throughout the offseason.”

Grier noted that “everyone” would like to have a new deal signed “before the season.”

“But you’ve seen over the last few years, some of these other big deals that have been done have gone all the way into training camp, because they are complicated deals to put together with the money and stuff people are talking about,” Grier said.

resnor and danmarino like this.
  21. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Some weird stuff in here.

Hill says Tua gains weight easily which is no surprise, and communication issues:
    "Hill indicated that the quarterback-receiver relationship, while appearing flowery on the outside, has had its bumps in the road.

“We done had some battles in there already,” Hill said, “but it ain’t been a battle where it’s like we can have a conversation but then we can come back the next play and be like, ‘Hey, bro, I think you should do that.’"

Hill said there would sometimes be interactions that just resulted in expletives getting thrown back and forth and communication shutting down for a bit. He wants all sides to be able to confront each other directly with constructive criticism."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/0...mmunicate-more-like-mahomes-not-hold-grudges/

Full interview

resnor and djphinfan like this.
  22. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Hill is a diva. He needs to keep his mouth shut. But he can’t. It maybe why they “got rid of him” in KC.

StaleTacos likes this.
  23. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Yeah, I don't want Tua hanging out with Hill off the field. I'm good with that.

resnor likes this.
  24. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    The answer is no, which is why the Dolphins should either trade Tua now for draft picks or let him the play the 2024 season on the 5th year option of his rookie contract. What should not happen is now sign Tua to a multi year contract for hundreds of millions of dollars.

hitman8 and The G Man like this.
  25. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Just be aware, this guy was banned from other Dolphins sites for trolling.

26. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    It’s probably the same guy that was posting a few weeks ago and has since disappeared.
    Nothing will happen though. Trolls are allowed to run freely here on the mains. It’s one of the reasons this place is so dead.

ExplosionsInDaSky likes this.
  27. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    Suggesting that it would not be good for the Dolphins to sign Tua to a big new contract is trolling?

The G Man and StaleTacos like this.
  28. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    You define a "troll" as someone with a different opinion from yours?

The G Man and StaleTacos like this.
  29. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I don’t see anything wrong with what he said. Competitive people argue

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  30. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Nope

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just putting this here because it is the Tua evaluation thread

Tyreek hill “ Tua does gain weight fast”

Ryan Clark again “ Tua is thicker than a snicker all lower half”

It’s been a serious concern for me when I don’t see the committment and folks have downplayed and poo pood my opinion of it, but I’m sure he gained a lot of weight during the season and it affected his movement and confidence in the field and that is unacceptable imo and no one is holding him accountable

resnor likes this.
  32. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Yep, "Tua does gain weight easy"

Then they went into the Polynesian thing which makes sense. Tua just got to work extra hard if he wants to keep that weight off.

Springveldt and resnor like this.
  33. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I also think he needs to he more.of a leader.
    U saw Brady all those years pissed off when they lost and same with Mahomes.
    I watched our boy in Baltimore after getting our asses kicked and was joking around with the Raven players like he didn't even care after the game.
    Come on dude show some fire!Players respond to that!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    resnor likes this.
  34. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    If they go backwards next season, this relationship is going to get real ugly.

Hill off the field is a complete garbage person.

35. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York

resnor and StaleTacos like this.
  36. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    Concerns about Tua's weight were discussed during Tua's playing career at Alabama.
    It was fine that the Dolphins took a shot and used their high pick to draft him, but now 4 years later the limitations of his play I believe have made it clear that he should not be offered a long term contract.
    At this point in time I don't believe it would hurt for the Dolphins to contact other teams to see what they might offer for Tua in the way of draft picks, players, or both. If no good offers are made the Dolphins may still play him in 2024 on the 5th year option of his rookie contract.

resnor, The G Man and StaleTacos like this.
  37. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    On the field following the recent playoff loss to the Chiefs Tua approached Mahomes and asked him for a signed jersey.

Sceeto likes this.
  38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    were going to sign him so we need to hope he hears and takes things personally, he hasnt yet imo.

39. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    People assumed Hill would be a problem teammate the moment he got here and it hasn't happened.

He is only here to be in Miami for 2 more years anyway so its likely to much of an issue.

40. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    I realize it's a long shot, but my hope is that another team contacts the Dolphins offering a 1st round draft pick for Tua and the Dolphins do the deal, using that pick to draft a QB.
    *I understand the Dolphins are likely not shopping Tua around at this time, but it's possible a team could initiate the contact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.