Tua...''He's the greatest prospect ever''

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Sep 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Your new buddy is THE biggest “troll” this site has seen. He is completely and utterly FOS which is why you can relate.
    You both are really making yourselves look like total arses and as usual, ruining this site.

StaleTacos likes this.
  2. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    LOL. I am reminded why I stay away from certain threads to avoid terrible Tua analysis on this site. You have his strengths and weaknesses reversed. It's crazy how wrong you are. The thing he does better than everyone is getting the ball out quick. He most needs to work on staying patient when it's not a bang bang play.

3. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    With the moves in free agency we're in rebuild mode. I wouldn't sign TUA now. We are not making the Super Bowl in the next two years. Zero reason to not trade Hill and Waddle now and TUA and just start from the ground up. Tiing up all this money on offense and having a 15-3oth ranked defense isnt keys to success.

YES blow it up GRIER should be fired today.

The G Man likes this.
  4. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    This has to be the hugest overreaction I've seen on this board in at least...........an hour.

Springveldt and danmarino like this.
  5. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Naw im just done with this. Let's tie up all our money on a QB that even if we agree will be top 5 next year soooooo WHAT! We are not making there playoffs or if we do were 1 and done again. We have a worse defense for sure, a new first time DC, major holes on defense.

We have issue now again on the Oline, were wasting HILL and Waddles careers in Miami.

For once just rebuild PROPER! Trade HILL AND WADDLE and draft young players

Aquapride likes this.
  6. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    It's 5:00 somewhere.

danmarino likes this.
  7. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    If the roster goes backwards talent wise, and you got blown out by playoff teams, and weren't remotely competitive in your only playoff game in 2023. How exactly do you intend on going further next season? Luck? Is that the plan?

8. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Shouldn't the people who said this team wasn't going anywhere be glad they aren't just simply running it back?

9. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    This logic makes zero sense? You need to keep your good players AND then add on.

It's not addition by subtraction. You lost 4 very valuable players on your team. You now need to find 4 players as valuable just to get back to what you were.

Sceeto and pumpdogs like this.
  10. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I would love for someone to say we are better now than last.year talent wise.

11. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    But if you think they can't win now wouldn't you want them to have a more favorable cap situation in a year? Instead of going all in again and kicking the can down the road.

I don't understand what they are doing simply because of Tyreek. He won't be on the team that much longer and he won't be this good that much longer.

12. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Well if you don't think they are going to win next season, then you need to do more than this BS. Forget extending Tua, and consider trading him. Definitely trade guys like Tyreek AND Waddle instead of half-a$$ing a rebuild.

Sceeto likes this.
  13. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    I am down with the strategy you've proposed. There is no question the Dolphins organizations pulled out all the stops to try and make the Superbowl the past two seasons, but the roster and coaching fell way short of that goal.
    I am also ok with for the 2024 season rolling with Tua on his 5th year option and watching how the team performs.
    What would likely be devastating to the team's future is what has been most commonly suggested, which is now committing to Tua for a 4 or 5 year year $200 million plus contract.

14. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    Obviously Tua's ability to release the ball quickly is one of his strengths. The whole world knows that, even you.
    But what you've apparently ignored is that scheme for the past two seasons has not been effective against the League's better defenses.
    And you seem to have forgotten the 2nd half of the season total collapses that the Dolphins suffered the past two years.

15. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    I say keep him on a 5th year option play the season out and see what we have.

Aquapride likes this.
  16. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

And when he posts another 100 passer rating you are now looking at $60M per year with the incoming cap rise. He's just posted a 100 rating with the worse interior OL in the league protecting him so I'd bet he's going to post a rating in that region again.

We know what we have, we have a very efficient passer who will win you lots of games. You can't keep having every single season as a "prove it" year while constantly moving the goalposts. The franchise tag for a QB in 2025 is projected to be $43M and the Dolphins definitely cannot afford to have Tua play on that. So if you don't sign him to an extension this season you are basically gambling on him failing so you can start again because if not he has you over a barrel where the only options will be pay him $60M a season or trade him.

Dorfdad likes this.
  17. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    What "we have" is a an accurate short to middle range passer who struggles when pressured, is unable to extend plays, and proven injury prone.
    Extending contracts to become multi-year hundreds of millions of dollar deals is why about 20 NFL teams are currently stuck paying too much for the QB position. Just because other teams make that mistake does not mean the Dolphins have to do so.
    I agree that is a reasonable plan.

Dorfdad likes this.
  18. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    The key is guarantees and how long they are committing themselves. Everyone freaked out about Daniel Jones getting 4 for 160 and yeah that is bad but only actually committed themselves for 2 years.

Dorfdad likes this.
  19. Springveldt

He's the best deep ball passer in the league though? He's also proven to be very efficient for the last 2 seasons now.

Nearly all QB's struggle when pressured, especially straight up the middle with no pocket to step into. People used to say the same with Brady, you need pressure up the middle to affect him.

He's proven injury prone? He played all games last year. The only serious injury he's had in the NFL has been the concussions. Maybe he's learning to take care of himself. Maybe last year was a fluke or maybe it's the sign of things to come.

There are only so many humans on the planet that can actually play QB in the NFL to a high level and Miami has one of them. They should focus on keeping him instead of wanting to throw the dice again. I don't want to be waiting till 2040 until they find another one.

20. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    So you don't like the idea of paying Tua $23 million for 2024 and $43 million for 2025?
    You would prefer to pay him more money, that is $50 million per season for the next 5 years?
    Have you considered that if in 2024 Tua appears overweight and slow while leading the Dolphins to an 8-9 season it would prove be a good thing that the Dolphins let him play on his rookie contract 5th-year option?

21. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    What if. What if. What if.

22. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    It's not just Daniel Jones. Look at the list below, which essentially reveals 18 overpaid quarterbacks and Mahomes. To the detriment of their entire rosters, these teams are paying too much for the QB position. Why would a Dolphins fan want their team to make the same mistake?

1. Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals: $55 million (5 years, $275 million)

2. Justin Herbert, Los Angeles Chargers: $52.5 million (5 years, $262.5 million)

3. Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens: $52 million (5 years, $260 million)

4. Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagles: $51 million (5 years, $255 million)

5. Russell Wilson, Denver Broncos: $49 million (5 years, $245 million)

6. Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals: $46.1 million (5 years, $230.5 million)

7. Deshaun Watson, Cleveland Browns: $46 million (5 years, $230 million)

8. Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs: $45 million (10 years, $450 million)

9. Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills: $43 million (6 years, $258 million)

10 (tie). Daniel Jones, New York Giants: $40 million (4 years, $160 million)

10 (tie). Matthew Stafford, Los Angeles Rams: $40 million (4 years, $160 million)

10 (tie). Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys: $40 million (4 years, $160 million)

13 (tie). Aaron Rodgers, New York Jets: $37.5 million (3 years, $112.5 million)

13 (tie). Derek Carr, New Orleans Saints: $37.5 million (4 years, $150 million)

15. Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings: $35 million (1 year, $35 million)

16. Jared Goff, Detroit Lions: $33.5 million (4 years, $134 million)

17. Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee Titans: $29.5 million (4 years, $118 million)

18. Geno Smith, Seattle Seahawks: $25 million (3 years, $75 million)

19. Jimmy Garoppolo, Las Vegas Raiders: $24.5 million (3 years, $72.75 million)

djphinfan likes this.
  23. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    My point is its about how long you are actually committed. Giving him 50 million wouldn't bother me if they out some outs.

All that list shows is there is no alternative to keeping good QBs. Trading away all your assets to take another swing at the draft almost certainly just means you will end up a lot worse up until the point where you are in the same exact position. With a good QB who isn't Mahomes and you have to pay.

Springveldt likes this.
  24. Springveldt

Yes, it would be a good thing then but I don't think that is going to happen. Tua has improved every single offseason at the things people have wanted him to work on. He's getting criticised now for being out of shape, I bet he shows up to camp in great shape.

That's the difference between our opinions. I expect Tua to succeed and see it as prudent to sign him now, while you expect him to fail and want out of the deal as quick as possible.

25. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    In addition to the draft, signing vets to 1-year contracts is another viable option. A year ago Tampa Bay did it for Mayfield and for the 2024 season there are some QB's the Dolphins could sign.

26. Fireland

Dec 29, 2013
    You will notice that Tampa didn't do it again and instead they gave Mayfield a big contract.

You want them to sign low end starters/high end backups to 1 year deals every year?

27. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    hasn’t everyone of those won a playoff game?

28. Springveldt

Who? I honestly can't think of a single QB out there right now that the Dolphins could sign.

The Raiders just signed Minshew and the Vikings went with Sam Darnold. I'm not sure who is even left out there.

29. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Tannehill, Lock, Huntley, Dobbs, Gabbert, Wentz, Siemian.

All viable options to get this team over the hump.

30. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    I was fine with the Dolphins drafting him and a year or two ago I was still optimistic about Tua's prospects.

31. Springveldt

Paying Tua $66M over the next 2 years in cap hits while you could have him count as $35M instead seems like a bad idea to me if you are already "all in" trying to win. That's $30M of signings you are missing out on.

32. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    Davis Mills is an accurate passer like Tua. Another option is Jameis Winston, a QB who would add the dimension of running to the Dolphins offense.

33. Springveldt

What has changed in the last 2 years then? He's been top 5 in every QB metric since then.

I guess it's the whole win a playoff game thing which is the new stick to beat him with.

34. Springveldt

You can't be serious? Have you actually watched those guys lately?

If that is the options then it's time to trade Waddle, Hill, Phillips, Chubb, Ramsey, Sieler, Holland and anyone else with any value at all as you are tanking for the #1 pick.

35. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Oh my God.

djphinfan likes this.
  36. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Total comedy

37. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Mills isn't even a free agent. Winston just signed somewhere. He also said Winston is a running quarterback. He's no more of a runner than Tua is. What is this guy talking about?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2024
    djphinfan likes this.
  38. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    Besides MIlls or Winston other veteran QB's the Dolphins could likely acquire for little money and take a shot with are Tyrod Taylor, Kenny Pickett, Cooper Rush or Zach Wilson. These are bridge QB's which would allow the Dolphins to build their team roster before drafting a potential starting QB.

39. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    OMG just stop. Please. My sides are hurting so bad from laughing. Please you're going to kill me. I can't breathe.

40. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    That comment was a waste of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.