Tua...''He's the greatest prospect ever''

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Sep 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    What 'leverage" does Tua have?

2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Really? Lol! Follow along, flash.

resnor likes this.
  3. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I don't know, but it's way more than Cooper Rush, Mac Jones, and Zach Wilson have...Three of your suggested Tua replacements that would come here and effortlessly win us a Super Bowl.

danmarino and djphinfan like this.
  4. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    You wouldn't understand.

5. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    ??!

[​IMG]

6. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Here’s what’s going to happen, and I’ll preface with this…the Dolphins are on the cusp of catastrophe!

Is Tua with this? Is Tua worth that? The Dolphins have been playing around low balling Tua’s value and the MARKET has suddenly increased. Tua is GOING to get paid BIG BUCKS, whether the team wants to or not.

If Tua doesn’t get a contract this season, and thanks to the market being what is has become, he’ll play out this season on his 5th year contract. And if the Dolphins still try and play money all, they’ll have no choice but to franchise tag him and we know how that works; he’ll be paid an annual salary equivalent to the average of the top 5 paid quarterbacks in the league.

Meanwhile, the salary cap only rising fractionally, the TEAM will suffer as the Dolphins won’t have the money to pay the team needed for the Dolphins to perform at a high level.

In other words, Grier and his hardball stance on paying Tua now…or even giving him an extension last season is going to bite the Phins in the butt.

This season is going to be IT guys…because come 2025, the Dolphins are going to be in middle of a financial crisis.

Tuanon4Life likes this.
  7. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    This is exactly why Tua has the leverage. Just pay him and get it over with or someone else will.

danmarino likes this.
  8. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Tua has leverage because if the team tags him, he can wait until all options for replacing him have expired before he signs the tender. That means he'd have no offseason activities and the team will have to table $50+ million until he signs it. It's never a good idea to tag your QB, which is why it's seldom done. If they're unsure about him being the future at the position, it's better to trade him now than to invest that much next season in a guy who will be gone a year later. And if trading him now is problematic because of the looming season, might as well go ahead and pay him because he's apparently that important to us.

9. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

Just for the sake of argument, which teams do you think might give him Kirk Cousins money?

resnor likes this.
  10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I doubt it comes to that. Grier has so far seemed like teflon regardless of how well it seems like he's performed or not, but having sufficient doubts with Tua that you franchise tag him (irrespective of whether that's a good idea for the team or not) is the kind of move I think that could land him in trouble with Ross. The optics just don't look right if you're defending that decision to Ross. It was Grier's pick, Tua is the first QB since Marino to have back-to-back statistically elite years, and you're going to potentially franchise tag the guy because of concerns about playoff success? What are you going to do if he doesn't succeed this year or during a franchise tag? Pick a new QB and start over? This team is being built to win now and you want to justify a rebuild? That's a hard sell to Ross imo.

No, I think Grier is tied to Tua for better or worse. He'll get the contract done. And I'm saying that independent of what's best for the team. I actually don't think it's a bad idea to give Tua another prove-it year. You can always restructure contracts for a few years to give yourself a decent shot at the SB if that resulted in Tua's overall contract (not year by year) being larger. But I don't think we'll see that happen. Expect announcement of a long term contract.. at market value (that's the hard part of the negotiation precisely because of lack of playoff success).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
  11. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    I understand that within the Dolphins offices the recent conversation (s) are probably going something like this:

Mr. Ross: "what do you want to do about Tua?"
    Mr. Grier: "remember in March of 2023 we exercised our 5th year option to have him play the 2024 season so let's see how this
    plays out and we can talk about it again after the season"
    Mr. Ross: "o.k., if he can lead the team to the Superbowl in 2024 we can give him a new contract but otherwise let's keep our options
    open and develop a new QB or two"
    Mr. Grier "agreed"

12. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    My guess is that the Dolphins tried trading with one of the teams that had top 5 to 10 picks in the recent draft, putting out feelers to learn how high a draft pick (s) another team might offer for Tua. The Bears did the same thing with Justin Fields and all they received for him from the Steelers was a 6th round draft pick.
    As it played out the Bears, Commanders and Patriots made the first 3 picks quarterbacks, and with the 12th pick the Broncos drafted a QB.
    I don't believe any of these four teams would have offered the Dolphins more than a 3rd or 4th round pick for Tua. Rather than pay him big money they would prefer to use a rookie-QB-contract to develop and play a QB for 4 or 5 years.

13. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'd like to know too

14. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    The Jets (if Rodgers retires), Raiders, Giants, Steelers (neither QB they just got will pan out), Seahawks, Cardinals, and Cowboys. Any one of these teams could need a shakeup at QB after this season.

15. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    You have a great imagination. I could imagine they have a plan to extend Tua before training camp.

16. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I could see the Raiders doing something like that, though I doubt Tua would survive a season behind their line. The Seahawks might actually be the best bet for Tua. The Cowboys, though? Seriously? Why would they do that?

resnor and Tuanon4Life like this.
  17. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    My guess is the Dolphins offered Tua and a first round draft pick to the Cowboys for Cooper Rush and it was declined.

Then Mr. Grier went into Mr. Ross' office and had a conversation that probably went like this:

Mr. Grier - "We can't trade this kid for nothing Mr. Ross man."

Mr. Ross - "Oh well, we tried there son."

Mr. Grier - "Let's just let him put up elite numbers in this system again and let him walk next year. By that time Cooper Rush could be a free agent. Perhaps Trevor Siemian, Jameis Winston or Mitch Trubisky will be available then and we can throw them right in."

Mr. Ross - "Excellent thinking there Mr. Grier, I bet we would retain the top offense in the league. I actually was scrolling fan forums and have been following a poster named Aquapride who has very similar ideas."

Mr. Grier - "Wow, do you think we can find out this guy's contact information boss?!"

Mr. Ross - "Let me see what I can do!"

Mr. Grier - "Hot diggity dog! This man can very well save my job!"

invid, OwesOwn614, Fireland and 2 others like this.
  18. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    This ^ just lol!

danmarino likes this.
  19. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    I just threw in the Cowboys because you never know if they're going to stick with Dak for much longer. If they move on from Dak I could see them going for Tua. McCarthy has been teetering on the hot seat for a couple of seasons now. There's teams every year who fall apart and bring in new coaches. New coaches usually look to bring in a new QB. There's other teams who don't need a QB right now but that could change and it could add even more potential suitors come 2025.

20. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    And yet you applauded the Jags for picking up Lawrence and think he’ll eventually take Trevor’s starting job.
    You’re trying to backtrack. Maybe you were drunk when you wrote that post about Jones? Maybe you’re just drunk… a lot.

21. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

I don't know how anyone could believe that in this day and age when no secret gets kept more than a few days that this scenario could have happened without anyone hearing about it.

resnor and Tuanon4Life like this.
  22. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    I'm LOLing at "develop a new QB or two". Why stop at two?

danmarino and Tuanon4Life like this.
  23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Guys let’s lay off the new guy obviously the posts are not up to par

24. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    He did it to himself.

djphinfan likes this.
  25. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    He's trying to establish his presence. He came in and started posting like:
    [​IMG]

26. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    I've written all along that the Jags should not extend Lawrence's contract and that bringing in Mac Jones to compete for the QB1 position was a smart move. I have no idea who will end up the Jags starting QB but there is no harm in giving Jones some starts to learn what he can do leading the team.

27. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    Why were you banished Jar Jar?

danmarino likes this.
  28. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    And yet you wrote that you think Mac Jones will take Trevor’s job. How many times do I need to write that for you to admit that it’s stupid? Instead you try and backtrack with posts like your last one.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I know, but it’s not really worth the time spent talking about it imo when the posts are at that level

OwesOwn614 and danmarino like this.
  30. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Trevor Lawrence will clearly be the runaway starting quarterback in Jacksonville barring a catastrophic injury to himself. I don't think Mac Jones will overtake him...Trevor Siemian on the other hand? Now that's a guy that would easily steal the job from Lawrence.

31. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    I was banished from Tuaheaven Forum for authoring a thread topic which suggested that the Dolphins shop Tua to learn which draft pick (s) a team might offer for him.

32. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    Consider that Mr. Grier calls the GM's at the Bears, Commanders , Patriots and proclaims the Dolphins are interested in moving up in the draft , and asks if any Miami player (s) would be of interest.

33. Aquapride

Aquapride Active Member

Mar 7, 2024
    I wrote that it would not surprise me if Mac Jones beat out Lawrence for the Jaguars starting QB position.

34. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Consider shopping a back-to-back MVP candidate, the leagues passing leader, and a QB that’s at the top, or near, in every QB passing category over the past two years all for an unknown rookie QB?

no

35. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    [​IMG]

danmarino likes this.
  36. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    This isn't anything close to what you were suggesting that happened.

danmarino likes this.
  37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Kurt Warner

“improve on is getting beyond their #1 option… that ability to give quality compliments & the ability of Tua to get to them when available is their biggest short-coming IMO & that’s not “talent” based so to speak!”

This is what we’ve been talking about above.

Warner also said to Greg Costello, “You guys know I love you… but what does that mean? His talent of quick processing, anticipation & accuracy would make 90% of NFL QBs better, but we act as if he doesn’t have the talent to be great!”

38. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I’m thinking play design sometimes gives this false impression that Tua isn’t getting it to his second, third, etc options. I mean, sure he misses on some (as all QB’s do) by either misreading the defense, getting pressured, or being focused on another receiver too much. However, this quick passing game is designed for a QB with elite processing speeds, quick release, and accuracy and that necessitates (obviously) a fast play. And without knowing the plays or assignments of each player (which we will never know) that’s my opinion. All offensives schemes have pros and cons.

Tua’s biggest fault is his homerun mentality. He needs to learn to check down more often. That’s a character issue.

djphinfan likes this.
  39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah bud I think there is that fine line that is built in the scheme to throw to the first read and Tua’s skill set is maximized by doing the same, that line can get convoluted when Tua has to come off it based on the olines ability to sustain blocks and Tua’s skill set when he has to come off it.. two different games ya know?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    danmarino likes this.
  40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    What I mean by that is this.

Tua was in no condition to make a play off script in the last quarter of the season, that was his fault and his fault and no one can tell me any different.

So, coming off that first read in this system will require some better agility, foot quickness, and escapability.

He has got to measure that first read window and make a spilt second decision where he’s gonna go for it, look it off, and hit the 2nd or hit the check down.

Personally I think Waddle and Hill need to be decoys on some plays so he can target other weapons without them being the 3rd read.

The great news here is if indeed Tua is a 220 once the season starts, which is where he should be for a 6 ft player then he will give himself a much better chance of manipulating himself off the first read if he has to

danmarino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.