1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tua is not the Problem

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Nov 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    He is a tough kid

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    The real value of Tua was seen when we put in Bridgewater. It was like.. no chance to win now!

Next game we need to make Skylar Thomson the backup QB.

3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Injuries are part of the game. You sound like you're making excuses at this point.

4. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I did't see you much during the preseason, but I have become SOLD on Skylar. With Prescott going down in Dallas, I was SCREAMING for Miami to trade Dishwater to the Cowboys while he still had some trade value. Granted, he only threw what, 2 passes? but still looked like CRAP!

I agree 1000% to make Thompson the back-up over Bridgewater. Thompson clearly showed me he had command of the offense and would have no problem taking over if Tagovailoa were to go down. After seeing Bridgewater's "experienced play" in action when he came in for Tua, I'm fearful we won't get anything for him now.

resnor and cbrad like this.
  5. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    You know Allen, the guy everyone is calling one of the best in the NFL, screwed up the snap on a third and short and nearly threw a pick six, and cost his team the win, basically, by robbing them of the chance to get a FG at halftime.

6. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    If Tua would not have returned and Bridgewater had finished the game, we would have been blown off the field. We would have maybe...MAYBE came away with a field goal. Bill would have beaten us 31 to 17.

7. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    The thing that I see with Tua at quarterback is that the guys around him on both sides of the ball are starting to believe in him as their leader. They're beginning to play with that feeling of "as long as we have him, we have a chance." That is the very definition of a leader and a mainstay at the quarterback position.

dolphin25, resnor and Phil Hutchings like this.
  8. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Also, Allen threw what should have been two pick-sixes on their drive with like four minutes left. EVERY QB throws "almost" pick-sixes.

MonstBlitz, resnor and Ronnie Bass like this.
  9. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I’ve been as critical as anyone on Tua and hard not to like what we’re seeing this year. I don’t think anyone believes he’s in the top echelon but he can make plays and help this team win games. My biggest concern is his durability but hoping he can stay healthy for a full season.

resnor likes this.
  10. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    I think beating Buffalo today was just another major hurdle for not only Tua, but this team in general. Last week we show resilience by coming back and beating the Ravens. This week we show toughness by outlasting the Bills in a tough physical game in the 90 degree heat. I'm not sure what's NOT to like about this team right now. McDaniel has us in the right spots, Tua has us believing, this is the best we've looked in a very long time. Playoffs this year? Yeah, I think so if we stay healthy. I may even start to have broader dreams if we continue this tear.

dolphin25, Bumrush and resnor like this.
  11. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Yes, injuries are part of the game, but ignoring they have a big impact on how the game is played is just, ignorant. I actually thought Tua and the offense should have done a lot more considering the Buffalo secondary was missing all of their starters, plus their top two backups. They had a rookie UDFA covering hill and waddle for Christ sake, we should have torched them a lot more.

resnor likes this.
  12. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

But the injuries to our offensive line didn't make any difference at all?

13. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Again, your Madden ratings and two minute highlights don't attest to this.

ExplosionsInDaSky likes this.
  14. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yep, plus he short hopped a 3 yard out for the go ahead score, and had multiple other ints dropped. He played hero ball though. Kept his team in the game. That stuff happens to all QBs. Some of the Dolphins fanbase has argued themselves out of having a reasonable perspective when it comes to Tua.

15. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Hell, I was not his biggest fan after the 2020 season, but after what's come out about his relationship with Flores, I have to give him a second chance and wipe the slate clean.

dolphin25, resnor and Phil Hutchings like this.
  16. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    We only had one starter out on the oline (Jackson) and Little his backup went out for a couple of series but came back in. Buffalo had way more injuries than we did, both in the secondary and on their DLline.

resnor likes this.
  17. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    You keep trolling I'm just going to put you on ignore.

All you do on here is troll.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Sceeto and resnor like this.
  18. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    And we also had X go out for over a quarter. But the Bills' "injuries" seemed to be a lot of heat exhaustion.

dolphin25 likes this.
  19. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Yes, and Diggs was also out with cramping for several plays. The heat was affecting both teams, but the bills had their entire starting secondary and their top 2 defensive tackles ruled out before the game even started. That was not heat exhaustion.

resnor likes this.
  20. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Speaking of the Bills defensive woes, check out who they play next: Ravens, Pittsburgh, KC and GB. Bills could very well be 4-3 or 3-4 after 7 games without a decent pass defense. We could rack up some wins and put a buffer between ourselves and everyone else in the AFC East for the division crown. Mac Jones also got injured today making the Pats even less of a threat.

resnor likes this.
  21. Vinny Fins

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Mac Jones being out might make the pats better

22. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

You think Brian Hoyer can do better?

23. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Hoyer has been terrible for most of his career. Jones is an average QB. Hoyer below average. If Jones is out for a decent period Pats are out of the running for the division title.

resnor likes this.
  24. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Just because they are back-ups doesn’t demean their abilities. For crying out loud, Greg Little is Austin Jackson’s backup and has played just as well, if not better than Jackson.

Just because a good portion of buffalo’s secondary was out doesn’t mean thei fielded a bunch of scrubs. The bills are a fine organization…as much as it pains me to say that.

resnor likes this.
  25. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    But, he is still an NFL QB, man. Given the right circumstances, the right mental state, whatever, even a guy like Hoyer possesses the ability string together some good games. It can happen.

26. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    That's insane. We started out with a murderers row, but that easily matches it.

27. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020

Pennington's Limp Arm and resnor like this.
  28. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    A deeper look into Tua’s week 3 performance;

Actual: 13-18 for 186 YDS/1 TD/0 Int.
    10.3 Yards per attempt.

Anybody with eyes (even the haters) could see Tua had 2 perfect balls dropped. A 20 yard sideline dime to Ingold and a 10 yard touchdown to Edmonds.
    Adjusted;
    15-18 for 216 YDS/2 TDs/ 0 int
    That would be 12 yards per ATTEMPT.
    An elite game.

Now let’s look at those other 3 incompletions;
    -He had a sideline throwaway to avoid a sack.
    -Screen call on own goaline in 4th Q that was destined to fail before the ball was snapped.
    (His decision making was ok/fine on both of these plays.)
    -Terrible screen attempt that was nearly intercepted by Milano.

So really he was OK/Good/Elite on 17 of 18 attempts.

He had one very bad play.

In conclusion, another Great performance by Tua!!
    Can’t fault him, because the defense was getting dink and dunked on for 18 play drives and he barely got the ball today.

29. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    From cbssports.com:
    Miami 21-19 over Buffalo

C

Bills
    Buffalo's defense played relatively well, especially given the fact that they were without safeties Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde. But their lack of depth in the secondary reared its ugly head on Miami's two big completions from Tua Tagovailoa to Jaylen Waddle on Miami's game-winning drive. Buffalo's defense did not receive much help from an offense that was just 2 of 4 in the red zone. The Bills are now 0-7 in one-score games dating to the start of last season.

A

Dolphins
    The Mike McDaniel era could not be starting off any better for the Dolphins. McDaniel's team is now 3-0 after topping the Bills, the team many are picking to come out of the AFC five months from now. The Dolphins defense came up with several big second-half stops while holding Buffalo's offense to just three points during the game's final 30 minutes. On offense, Tua Tagovailoa continued to strengthen his rapport with Jaylen Waddle, whose 45-yard catch on a third-and-22 play set up Chase Edmonds' game-winning score.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...colts-dolphins-earn-an-a-for-upsetting-bills/

brandon27 likes this.
  30. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    If you are going to play alternate reality and change Tua's numbers because of drops, then you should also give him a pick six because of the drop by Milano.

Tua had an ok game overall, not elite. Drops happen in every game.

31. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I clearly acknowledged (twice) the possible interception and pointed out it was very bad…

Yet of course you are refusing to acknowledge those drops were perfect plays by TUA.

On 18 attempts, 17 of them were good reps.
    One bad throw, that was it. With many elite passes today. Of course some on here will refuse to acknowledge every single throw he made today. (Except that one)

And some will ignore the sheer grit and determination to heroically return from injury for the 2nd half. We had no chance of winning this game if he doesn’t return.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    looks like all tua needed was adequate time and he will shred..some weapons helps the cause..

Bumrush and brandon27 like this.
  33. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I don't think Tua would be doing this well if he had the same time to throw and same weapons but with Flores as HC. He'd be dinking and dunking with no serious attempt at winning the game through a modern passing game. What we're seeing is a great offensive minded HC in McDaniel showing how to use Tua, Hill and Waddle.

We might have finally gotten the most important piece right: HC. Great HCs tend to show themselves fairly early (with some notable exceptions like Landry and Belichick). McDaniel's showing he's a winner from the get-go. I fully expect a SB win by 2030 with this guy as HC.

34. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    How many plays did Tua and th offense even play? Their score per play has gotta be high. People in the haters club … I reckon they want more of a dink-n-dunk offense now.

35. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    No scenario where they try to pick up a 3rd and 22 with Flores in charge

dolphin25 and Bumrush like this.
  36. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

He should have thrown at least two pick 6's, a couple of ints got dropped and he also one hopped a wide open receiver to win the game but people will still concentrate on the one poor pass that Tua threw. I honestly just don't get it.

Just how bad did we look when Teddy came in? Do people really want to see that?

Injuries or not the Bills defence still had their pass rushers and their very good LB's. Their scheme relies on zone a lot more than M2M as well so it may be easier to plug players into. Personally I thought Tua looked very, very good yesterday again. He was sharp, threw an absolute laser for the TD and dropped a perfect 50 yard pass into Waddle.

Rick 1966 likes this.
  37. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

If you think that was an "ok" game then you have unrealistically high expectations of QB play. How would have rated Allen's performance? Was that just ok as well?

Bumrush likes this.
  38. Vinny Fins

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Ok, so like, lets ask: the coach, who is very good, says he is the teams pulse and leader. His teammates rave about his leadership. He limps back in and uncorks a perfect throw on 3/22 to set up the winning score, captaining your undefeated miami dolphins to the only 3-0 record in the afc over a superbowl contending division rival AS THE NUMBER 2 RATED PASSER in the league.
    All that said, and every single post you make in this thread is negative in regards to Tua.

Nobody’s asking for the fullblown mea culpa yet, desperado, but its time to come down from your fences and at least admit you may have judged him too harshly. Just be open to the possibility. If you cant? Theres really nothing to discuss

dolphin25 likes this.
  39. DolPhinPhan7

DolPhinPhan7 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    The failures on offence here are the team's inability to run on short downs.

I know the running game has to keep going as not to be one dimensional but this line is not helping the running game.

If Tua gets 3 seconds, in the pocket, he usually converts.

40. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I hoped we would see a little more from Tua and our offense yesterday, but that being said can't really take a way much from his performance yesterday. That concussion/back injury whatever it was sure made it seem like he was done for the day and so were our chances, but back out there he came in the second half and made plays when it counted and that's what you want your QB to do. More heart, toughness and leadership on display there from the kid.

That go ahead drive was some impressive work from Tua, that deep shot to Waddle too, damn that was nice!

That earlier TD to Cracraft... what a throw. Bullet there from Tua on the money. As someone else said he shoulda had another one to Edmonds as well & a couple of big drops out there yesterday that would have made the numbers look a bit better.

That being said though he didn't get much of an opportunity given how Buffalo dominated the time of possession and we only ran what... 39 offensive plays? Sure that sounds bad, but at the end of the day we had a gameplan to not get beat deep and that resulted in buffalo throwing mostly checkdowns that were just like running plays basically and it just ate up the clock on us. Bend but don't break D. So not alot of opportunity for Tua to shine yesterday but he still did anyways when it mattered most.

Still seeing that growth into this offense and into a better QB from him so far this year and that's what we need to keep seeing every week. I just wish we had a more competent OL, but they did manage to hold their own for the most part yesterday, but if we can give Tua more time and keep him upright and not running for his life I think we'll continue seeing him grow and put up consistent numbers.

dolphin25 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.