1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tua on McDaniel not getting enough love

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    “I think coach Mike does a great job putting us in great situations offensively,” Tagovailloa said in his press conference. “He has a lot of, people would say window dressing. He doesn’t like that term, because it’s just a part of our offense with the movement, shifting, motioning. It’s a part of what we do. So I think it’s a lot of credit to what our head coach has done within installs and things like that to help put us in those situations.

“We can say that I go out there and throw, Tyreek and Waddle and all these other guys catch and run. [McDaniel] continues to give other people praise, but he doesn’t get as much praise as I think he should, and a lot of that is because of him.”

Tagovailoa noted how McDaniel has customized the offense specifically for the strengths of its best players.

“If you look on film, he tries to tailor it to what Tyreek runs the best, what Jaylen likes running, what I like throwing, what I’m good at throwing and things like that,” Tagovailoa said. “Whereas, you watch their film from when they were with the 49ers, they did things a little different because of what those guys were good at and what they liked. So I really think it’s just things that are tailored to our strengths, and then he builds off of that.

“So not much of, ‘Why are we doing it like this?’ Or ‘Why are we doing it like that?’ It’s more so, ‘How do you see that play if they get this or if they get that? How do you see him running it and where do you think I should go with the ball on this?’ Just more of that kind of conversation.”

Tagovailoa has completed 70 percent of his passes this season for 1,980 yards with 15 touchdowns and three interceptions. Entering Week 10, he leads the league at 9.2 yards per attempt, 13.1 yards per completion, and a 115.9 passer rating.

Tin Indian, KeyFin and danmarino like this.
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think we're going to look back some day and say McDaniel's the best HC hire the Dolphins made since Shula.

3. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Let's hope so. The long search for QB was about the same for the coach. I like his attitude. He doesn't take himself so seriously and seems like a really cerebral guy. You have to be one part psychologist, one part play guru and one part tactician to thrive as a HC. I think he has the 1st 2 parts down. It's the 3rd part he's learning about.

Tin Indian and danmarino like this.
  4. FinFaninBuffalo

FinFaninBuffalo Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    So far, he is excelling more as the de facto OC. It is his offense and he calls the plays. But, I agree, he is smart. He will clean up the HC stuff (use of timeouts, when to challenge, when to kick a FG, clock management, disciplined play, etc). If we ever get the defense and special teams even close to up to par with the offense, look out.

Tin Indian and dolphin25 like this.
  5. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I think he was hoping the DC would be better then he has been so far.

FinFaninBuffalo likes this.
  6. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    I think we all were. Having the defensive staff back with a first time (offensive minded) head coach should have been a good thing, especially with how the defense finished last season. Unfortunately, the defense has regressed and Boyer has not been able to adjust to injuries, backups and new personnel, not to mention failing to adjust in-game to what the other team is doing.

It’s looking very much like McDaniel and Grier will need to find a better DC in the offseason.

7. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Im not sold on Boyer, but like players, coaches can’t perform with injuries. We have like 5 DB’s out for the season and our shut down CB slowed with groin injuries. This defense is predicated on good DB play. When you have rookies and practice squad players on the field it really hampers the play calling. When taken in context, we are still winning games. Yes, mostly due to putting up points, but the defense has made some spectacular plays to seal the win in a lot of games.

Tin Indian and KeyFin like this.
  8. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

It sure looks like it so far. I remember being hyped for Gase as he was a supposed "offensive guru" but McDaniel actually is. Watching the All-22 this year I've never seen our offence have so many guys getting open. It's not just Hill and Waddle, Sherfield, Cracraft and Wilson also get open when they are in. From what I've seen the last few weeks we seem to have an offence that NFL defences have no answer for at the moment. It might take them till next season to figure out how to slow us down.

As Chris Canty said on a segment the other day he watched the Bears do something he hadn't really seen before and that was double cover both Waddle and Hill in the 4th quarter. That was the only solution they had and if the Browns try that I'm sure McDaniel will already have a plan for Gesicki, Sherfield and Wilson to get open instead.

9. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    No question defenses will adapt, but truly elite players and teams are hard to adapt to. I actually think that's what we're looking at here, and I mean specifically the Hill/Waddle combination. Defenses are afraid of going man against Hill especially (but also Waddle) as they can burn you with the deep ball, but zone doesn't work either with Tua's accuracy and their great route running. This is one of the rarer moments where a team has both the right scheme and talent (especially speed). It's taking all the right lessons from the modern NFL where it's the passing game that reigns supreme.

Also Tua is going to improve. Yes, his arm limits his ability to hit Hill and Waddle in stride on some deep balls, and that's probably decreased his rating from what it otherwise would be — he's missed some clear TDs because he underthrew the ball. Tua also on occasion tries to force the issue, throwing at a receiver he already decided he wants to throw to. But he's leading the league in passer rating even with such limitations. And he should improve in both areas next season by throwing the ball earlier on some deep balls and being a tad more intelligent on some plays than he already is.

I'm not sure he'll lead the league in passer rating next year (that's extremely difficult to do.. the only QB that ever did that consistently was Steve Young who did that 6 times in 7 years from 1991-1997 — incidentally Tua is in many ways similar to Young), but this is a legit top 5 offense for the foreseeable future IMO.

Pauly, danmarino and Springveldt like this.