1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tua..

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thoughts? Observations?? Concerns??

:)

danmarino and PickleRick like this.
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Elite QB in the making. Just needs to keep proving it.

And it's really the McDaniel+Tua+Hill+Waddle combination more than Tua himself. But those denying Tua credit just have an agenda.

danmarino, dolphin25 and djphinfan like this.
  3. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008

4. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Going for on 4th around midfield and even trying to get points at the half even though it required some luck really shows how much confidence McDaniel has in Tua. Some people have wondered whether he is 100 genuine when he talks about Tua but clearly he is.

5. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah it will be interesting to see how Herbert ends up: 3 years above average but not elite play and a flop in the playoffs. Guy has to either take that next step or the Chargers are in another Rivers-type situation: above average QB but not good enough to win a SB.

Other QBs worth watching:
    Purdy.. he might end up being the real deal
    Wilson.. good to see last year might be an anomaly
    Geno Smith.. also good to see last year might be an anomaly lol
    Watson.. very surprised he isn't back to form
    Burrow.. is this a repeat of last year? Starting terrible only to end up near the top?

6. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Keep him upright and we may one day talk about his pairing with McDaniel the way people mention Shula & Marino. He now has the 4th and 5th highest yardage games in team history (both comeback wins, BTW). With that being said, I respect him as much for how he comports himself off the field as for how he plays while on it. Almost too humble and a great representative for the team.

I'll never understand how he became a polarizing figure for national media, let alone among Dolphins fans. We waited for two decades for a QB capable of playing at his level and I hope he maintains it.

7. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Herbert took a step back offensively last season, but he also played through broken ribs and a torn labrum. This is what playing through a whole season does to you.

hitman8 likes this.
  8. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    I was going to mention that on the now-locked thread. I didn't have the level of anxiety about going for it yesterday that I had last season. And last season, we went for it with a yard or less to gain in opposing territory. And much later in the game. I expected it to succeed but I don't know why. McDaniel believes in his team and especially in his QB.

9. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I don't know, I thought he played pretty good.

OwesOwn614 and resnor like this.
  10. FinFaninBuffalo

FinFaninBuffalo Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    He did a bunch of things that we've been told he cannot do. Multiple 10+ yard completions off platform. Throws deep outside the numbers. Making something happen when a play breaks down.

11. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Who is denying credit?

You just proved my point. It's Tua plus plus plus

Which is fine. I have no issue with that, so long as Grier doesn't get cute and continues to keep high powered weapons around him.

12. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm with you. I was very happy with the game yesterday.

Some people can't grasp that, but that's OK.

Hooligan and OwesOwn614 like this.
  13. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I was being semi-sarcastic. He played fantastic.

PickleRick, resnor and RGF like this.
  14. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    From Omar "Somebody Told Me He's Wasting His Career Playing Defense On A Team With Tua" Kelly:

resnor likes this.
  15. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Both are pretty amazing. Hill is elite wherever he plays and whoever he plays with, and Mahomes just won a Super Bowl without him.

Hooligan, resnor and OwesOwn614 like this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Obviously some pundits and fans misjudged the Qb’s talent

Fin-O and PickleRick like this.
  17. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Every elite or borderline elite QB has at least one "plus" so why does it matter?

dolphin25 and Springveldt like this.
  18. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    You and some others have been for a long time. You refuse to accept it's even a viable hypothesis that Tua himself is an elite QB. No matter how many times I've asked you to seriously consider that, including just recently (as well as all throughout 2022), you refuse to. For you the elite stats are not due to Tua but due to his surroundings. Tua according to you and some others here is maybe just a slightly above average QB. That's denying him proper credit.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    And there it is

You stated a thread questing the front office for not giving Tua a contract citing they just have reservations like some of you who have taken a stance on Tua that he’s not quite good enough.

It takes higher level of Qb talent to calibrate the speed of a Tyreek hill.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Never said you wouldnt be happy

21. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    As of right now, I really think the only debate is whether Tua is very good or elite. In terms of ability, I am convinced that we got our guy.

One thing I did notice is that I thought that he had more strength on his passes. Clearly he worked on his lower body in the offseason, and I think it is helping him drive his passes down the field.

In terms of play, I am 100% positive that we got our guy. Health is the only real concern going forward, and only time will tell with that.

22. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Just got to ignore that poster. He can't write a post without discussing and misrepresenting other posters. Just keeps getting threads shutdown. At some point the moderator will need to hand out suspensions.

23. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    lol.. so now you attack the poster not the post. Way to go. And no I don't misrepresent things systematically like you do (your latest post is a great example). That thread didn't get shut down because of me btw.

danmarino likes this.
  24. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Every great QB needs high level talent to succeed. Every great receiver needs somebody to get him the ball where he can make a play. Brady didn't have all-pros, but Welker, Amendola, and Edelman were perfect complements for him. We, as fans, try to see the game the way we want it to be instead of appreciating the nuance necessary for things to work out well. Not many QBs would have made the plays Tua made yesterday, but there are probably only one or two receivers capable of doing what Hill did. Perhaps only Justin Jefferson can play at that level.

PickleRick and StaleTacos like this.
  25. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Yes, this is anecdotal, but still impressive.
    [​IMG]

Tuanon4Life likes this.
  26. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    LOL...it's not working. You try and try but it's just not working. No props for perseverance either. Can't you even grasp how lame you sound. ????

27. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Come on, man. Let's try not to get personal. The other thread got shut down because things got uncivil.

28. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    You just had to take a veiled shot. Couldn't help yourself.

29. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    He also made a bunch of throws to second or third receivers in the progression? How is that possible when he just throws to a pre-determined spot "no matter what"???? Hmmm.....

30. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think you should tell that to StaleTacos first. He's the first poster in this thread who made a personal attack by saying I can't write a post without misrepresenting others, which is as big a lie as you can come up with.

31. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    He's far too easy to see right through. Pristine glass should be as transparent.

danmarino and Striking like this.
  32. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    It wasn't veiled. Folks were discussing Herbert's performance. That context is important. The fact he was playing with those injuries is important. Injuries a QB acquires over the season adds up and impacts performance. It's like comparing two runners in a sprint, but one of them ran a marathon prior. Tua needs to run the marathon. Let's see it.

dolphin25 likes this.
  33. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Incredible performance by Tua, he played up to his capabilities.

Most people on here who know ball and watched him earn the #1 QBR in the league early last year, already knew this is the level Tua can play at.

One big area Tua did appear to take a step forward and was noticeably improved… Was his movement in the pocket and his overall awareness of his surroundings in the pocket. He was stepping up or sidestepping and Making subtle movement to avoid pressure and help his offensive lineman.

Very encouraging if he can keep that up and better protect himself from big hits.

danmarino, dolphin25 and StaleTacos like this.
  34. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Sorry I missed it. The mods are focused on the Tua threads in particular and I actually enjoy the discussion. After two closed threads in two weeks, it'd be nice to keep this one going. For the record: I have deleted plenty of posts that I would have regretted, so Lord knows I'm just as irritated about some of the stuff posted here. But we both know it's done to stir a response; I just try to ignore it.

cbrad and RGF like this.
  35. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Just calling it like it is. I mean, someone had to explain to him how silly he is, so I gave it a try.
    I'm patiently awaiting for his gratitude towards my kindness.

danmarino likes this.
  36. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022

You...
    1) Started talking about other posters when no one else was. That's your MO. I just returned serve in the hopes of not getting the thread dragged down by telling resnor to just ignore you.
    2) Misrepresented their position by stating, "But those denying Tua credit just have an agenda." We've given Tua plenty of credit for his performance yesterday.

...so just stop, or you'll get this thread shutdown and eventually get a suspension.

dolphin25 likes this.
  37. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Very true. His pocket awareness was elite yesterday, which was something he needed to work on and he clearly did.

38. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Listen. You're like Fin-D in that if you actually do get banned this board will be a much nicer place to visit. I don't have issues with hitman or resnor, just you. At some point the mods are going to see that you're the primary instigator.

Regardless, it's true that as long as you and others keep claiming Tua is nothing more than a slightly above average QB you're denying him proper credit. That's a stance you've never backed away from, and repeated right before the game. And regarding not being able to write a post without misrepresenting others, how about the one I just wrote about Herbert and other QB's, post #5? Whose position am I misrepresenting there? Please enlighten us. Or admit you lied.

39. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    BTW, here is what happens when the defense over commits to taking away the middle of the field. This is 4th and 7. The guy at the 35 is deep and shading to the inside to take away the throw if Tyreek runs an in breaker. Berrios takes his man deep. Smyth runs to the open space. Easy first down.

upload_2023-9-11_15-17-26.png

BTW, Waddle ends up open in the middle too.

upload_2023-9-11_15-23-38.png

BTW, Tua can't throw outside the numbers.... just take away the middle of the field and he is done.... right?????

danmarino, RGF and OwesOwn614 like this.
  40. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Just throwing to spots baby......

Striking likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.