1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turner Gill to be Kansas Head Coach

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by padre31, Dec 15, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4737280

I love this move, there was static about the Auburn job and perhaps Gill should have been hired there "but" Gill is a relatively newbie HC and KU is a perfect big tyme job for him, he replaces Mangino who was successful at a extremely unsuccessful program.

If Turner Gill can win at KU, the sky is the limit for his coaching career, imho he may, but he will have to do things a bit differently than he did at Buffalo.

2. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    With Gill, they went out and got the guy who was the complete opposite of Mangino, both in terms of physical appearance as well as football philosophy.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Mangino was an arrogant slob, but he made a moribound KU Football team into a winner, I hope Gill has the same success.

4. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I do not know about this one...maybe he is the right guy but you are hiring a guy with a 20-30 lifetime record that had one winning season when he won some close games.....not sure he would blow me away but I do like the intangibles he brings......but whatever he will get his shot and we will see..............................but their would have to be a lot of questions.

5. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Agreed. I like his intangibles but he is far from proven. Kansas had a easy schedule til conference play so maybe he gets some cheap wins that way.

6. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Yeah I looked up KU's 2010 non con schedule....Rice, New Mexico State, Southern Miss and Duke...not exactly murderers row.

7. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    The big key will be in how he handles recruiting ... we're talking about KU football, not basketball ... there's a lot less tradition to rely on.

I didn't like Mangino but speaking from what I know on the situation, it seems like he was railroaded out of town.

Theyr'e losing a lot of talent (Both WRs, QB, TE) this year, so Gill will have his work cut out for him. Quite honestly I wouldn't be shocked to see KU return to the mean in terms of how well they play next year and beyond ... a 7-4 record or even 6-5 seems about right.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    KU has no football tradition to speak of, in fact they were the weak sister for decades in the Big 10.

Gill has his work cut out for him, Phunwin knows a heck of alot more about T Gill as a coach than I do, but I hope he runs the spread offense because a traditional offense with his pool of recruits would be a disaster imvho.

9. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I think this is a very questionable hire for Kansas, but this is not exactly a place where quality coaches are beating the door down to coach.

The media loves this move, but the are ignoring the results and lauding Kansas for hiring a black coach. The fact is, this guy has a 20-30 career record as a head coach and has had only one winning season in 4 years as a head coach. Auburn was smart to pass on hiring him.

I didn't think Kansas would be able to find someone that could do for that program what Mark Mangino did. He made football relevant at a basketball school. I think success is going to be difficult to sustain at Kansas, and Turner Gill will not win much at this job.

What I wonder is why Kansas didn't pursue Kevin Sumlin when Jim Harbaugh pulled his name out of the mix. I think a number of coaches would have been better hires, including Kevin Sumlin along with guys like Butch Jones at Central Michigan, Larry Fedora at Southern Mississippi, and several assistant coaches like Kevin Wilson at Oklahoma, Greg Robinson at Texas, and Gus Malzahn at Auburn.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Butch Jones just got hired at Cincinnati.

11. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I know 20-30 isn't all that great, but it was at freaking Buffalo. Considering the school and history, I would almost ignore any shortcomings that may have come in the box score and simply focus on what you think the individual can do with your program and resources. I don't care if Kansas is a basketball school, it is light years ahead of Buffalo in the resource department. This is coming from probably the biggest MAC fan on the board.

12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I hope he makes Auburn regret their desicion.

13. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Maybe so, but this doesn't diminish the fact that he wasn't even the best coaching candidate from his own conference. Both Butch Jones and Bill Cubit have better resumes, and I think a case can be made for Frank Solich at Ohio as well.

14. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not disagreeing with you in that he wasn't the best candidate from the MAC. I'm just saying I wouldn't use his W-L record as his biggest detraction.

15. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    One of the worst hires i have seen. I was stunned with how bad. Bama gets Nick Saban and Auburn counters with Gene Chizik lmao

16. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I agree with you Pete. Me and you have talked about Gill before. Buffalo had little talent and he still won. Its not a bad hire but I thought KU could have done better. He probably came cheap and that may have been a factor. I am very interested to see what Gill does

17. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Big 12. :wink2: Or if you want to jump in the wayback machine, Big 8.

Actually he'll be making around 2 mil per season, which is on par what they were paying Mangino.

I'm ambivalent to the hire either way. Sports radio in the area seems to think his assistant coaches are an improvement, but I do think he's got an uphill battle considering how much talent the program has lost the last 2 years. Really though, the Big 12 North is likely to continue to be weak next year ... so he could end up doing better than I expect.