Two More FA Visits
80 replies
"BlameItOnTheHenne wrote:
Aside from retaining Soliai at a very reasonable price and shoring up the secondary by signing Richard Marshall?
You're right.
I forgot about Soliai, however, if we are switching to a 4-3 I'm not sure he's an ideal fit.
Marshall is OK. But when that is your marquee FA signing two and a half weeks into FA, its cause for concern, IMO.

"PSG wrote:
You're right.
I forgot about Soliai, however, if we are switching to a 4-3 I'm not sure he's an ideal fit.
Marshall is OK. But when that is your marquee FA signing two and a half weeks into FA, its cause for concern, IMO.
I can name about 28 teams that haven't made a splash in free agency. Some are better than us and some are worse than us. Of course you want to plug holes in free agency and I'm glad that seems to be the focus rather than making a huge splash. If we end up with Scott I'll consider this a strong FA period.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"Alex44 wrote:
I can name about 28 teams that haven't made a splash in free agency. Some are better than us and some are worse than us. Of course you want to plug holes in free agency and I'm glad that seems to be the focus rather than making a huge splash. If we end up with Scott I'll consider this a strong FA period.
What holes have we really plugged?
Marshall plugs one I suppose, especially if they plan to play him at safety.
Not sure how much of an upgrade Hicks would be.
If we sign Scott that would be an excellent signing, but I'd hardly say it makes this a strong FA period for us.
But to each his own.
Don't forget, we also created a huge hole by trading away Marshall.

Scott takes Incognito's place?
LT-Long LG-Scott C-Pouncey RG-Hick RT-Murtha
"PSG wrote:
What holes have we really plugged?
Marshall plugs one I suppose, especially if they plan to play him at safety.
Not sure how much of an upgrade Hicks would be.
If we sign Scott that would be an excellent signing, but I'd hardly say it makes this a strong FA period for us.
But to each his own.
Don't forget, we also created a huge hole by trading away Marshall.
We didn't create that, we were simply left to deal with another mess that he made.
No chance Marshall isn't our new FS either, imo.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
"PSG wrote:
What holes have we really plugged?
Marshall plugs one I suppose, especially if they plan to play him at safety.
Not sure how much of an upgrade Hicks would be.
If we sign Scott that would be an excellent signing, but I'd hardly say it makes this a strong FA period for us.
But to each his own.
Don't forget, we also created a huge hole by trading away Marshall.
To me a strong free agency period is filling in holes solidly without making a splash. In all honesty we don't have very many holes. I would have considered our biggest hole going into this offseason as our coaching. Coaching alone should make our offense better which in return will allow our defense to be better simply by not being put in precarious positions all the time.
So I believe Marshall will be our FS and a very good one. We cut Bell who in my opinion is a liability in pass coverage. Insert Clemons who I believe will have a very good season at the SS position where he isn't required to make as many reads and decisions as at the FS position. He will be able to use his natural athleticism to make plays.
Resigned Solia which I believe to be a big signing. Even in the 4-3 it is important to have a DT who can take up multiple blockers on running downs and push the line back into the QB's face. Signing Scott would sure up an offensive line that really held us back. I think people will like what they see from Matt Moore when he isn't on his back every play against every decent defense. I also think Garrard is a good fit in our offense if he is healthy again. Very accurate passer with decent mobility screams Philbin. Not to say we have a long term answer at QB but we will be a lot more solid than most people think.
So going into the draft we are looking for a WR (or two), TE (possibly), QB (I'd expect someone mid round) and a pass rushing end. Not too bad.
On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.
"slickj101 wrote:
We didn't create that, we were simply left to deal with another mess that he made.
No chance Marshall isn't our new FS either, imo.
Whether or not its a hole we created or one we were left to deal with is irrelevant. It's a hole that was created, which hasn't been addressed yet.
As far as Richard Marshall goes, I agree he should be our new FS.

"Alex44 wrote:
To me a strong free agency period is filling in holes solidly without making a splash. In all honesty we don't have very many holes. I would have considered our biggest hole going into this offseason as our coaching. Coaching alone should make our offense better which in return will allow our defense to be better simply by not being put in precarious positions all the time.
So I believe Marshall will be our FS and a very good one. We cut Bell who in my opinion is a liability in pass coverage. Insert Clemons who I believe will have a very good season at the SS position where he isn't required to make as many reads and decisions as at the FS position. He will be able to use his natural athleticism to make plays.
Resigned Solia which I believe to be a big signing. Even in the 4-3 it is important to have a DT who can take up multiple blockers on running downs and push the line back into the QB's face. Signing Scott would sure up an offensive line that really held us back. I think people will like what they see from Matt Moore when he isn't on his back every play against every decent defense. I also think Garrard is a good fit in our offense if he is healthy again. Very accurate passer with decent mobility screams Philbin. Not to say we have a long term answer at QB but we will be a lot more solid than most people think.
So going into the draft we are looking for a WR (or two), TE (possibly), QB (I'd expect someone mid round) and a pass rushing end. Not too bad.
The issue I have with this FA period for the Dolphins is they didn't address the biggest need (QB). And created a another glaring one (WR).
So as good as the Marshall, Hicks and Soliai signings/resignings may be, the QB/WR issues make this FA period a wash, IMO.

"PSG wrote:
The issue I have with this FA period for the Dolphins is they didn't address the biggest need (QB). And created a another glaring one (WR).
So as good as the Marshall, Hicks and Soliai signings/resignings may be, the QB/WR issues make this FA period a wash, IMO.
you have issue with our new coaches decision on not to sign his former QB?
I don't understand this PSG??

"Alex44 wrote:
To me a strong free agency period is filling in holes solidly without making a splash. In all honesty we don't have very many holes. I would have considered our biggest hole going into this offseason as our coaching. Coaching alone should make our offense better which in return will allow our defense to be better simply by not being put in precarious positions all the time.
So I believe Marshall will be our FS and a very good one. We cut Bell who in my opinion is a liability in pass coverage. Insert Clemons who I believe will have a very good season at the SS position where he isn't required to make as many reads and decisions as at the FS position. He will be able to use his natural athleticism to make plays.
Resigned Solia which I believe to be a big signing. Even in the 4-3 it is important to have a DT who can take up multiple blockers on running downs and push the line back into the QB's face. Signing Scott would sure up an offensive line that really held us back. I think people will like what they see from Matt Moore when he isn't on his back every play against every decent defense. I also think Garrard is a good fit in our offense if he is healthy again. Very accurate passer with decent mobility screams Philbin. Not to say we have a long term answer at QB but we will be a lot more solid than most people think.
So going into the draft we are looking for a WR (or two), TE (possibly), QB (I'd expect someone mid round) and a pass rushing end. Not too bad.
i didnt realize there were still dolphins fans who knew what they were talking about
"slickj101 wrote:
The first is OG Jake Scott:
-MD website
The second is LB Philip Wheeler:
- La Crapola
*FreeStyle posted about Wheeler earlier in another thread, but I figured everyone would want to see it. Personally I like both of these potential signings a lot if they happen. Wheeler especially has shown consistent improvement and could be a real steal.
I'm ok with both guys and yes FreeStyle was the first to post the Wheeler info before anybody! :up:
Pray for the lost souls, injured and families that have been affected in the Boston Marathon explosion
"PSG wrote:
What holes have we really plugged?
Marshall plugs one I suppose, especially if they plan to play him at safety.
Not sure how much of an upgrade Hicks would be.
If we sign Scott that would be an excellent signing, but I'd hardly say it makes this a strong FA period for us.
But to each his own.
Don't forget, we also created a huge hole by trading away Marshall.
Wait, Hicks won't be an upgrade to Colombo ?? I doubt that...
Look, we have more holes to fill but the one that was created with trading Marshall may not be quite as big as everyone want's to make it out to be...
The big question for this team, as it stands right now (knowing the FA isn't over and the draft is yet to come), is really whether Gates, Clay, Thomas, Jerry, Murtha, Clemons, Jones and Wilson develop as many of us think they can... These guys can make or break because each can fill a hole we have....Gates - speed WR, Clay - speedy FB/h-back/TE, Thomas - can he have a more solid year (as he showed some flashes of last year) this year, Can Jerry and Murtha, along with Hicks, fill in the OL spots we have open, Clemons/Jones - Will either of these guys break out and become more solid players ?? Can Wilson be in the mix in the secondary, even with the addition of Marshall....To me, these guys will determine how many holes are filled or not filled...anyone we get in the draft to fill one of the holes is just icing on the cake...
"Larryfinfan wrote:
Wait, Hicks won't be an upgrade to Colombo ?? I doubt that...
Look, we have more holes to fill but the one that was created with trading Marshall may not be quite as big as everyone want's to make it out to be...
The big question for this team, as it stands right now (knowing the FA isn't over and the draft is yet to come), is really whether Gates, Clay, Thomas, Jerry, Murtha, Clemons, Jones and Wilson develop as many of us think they can... These guys can make or break because each can fill a hole we have....Gates - speed WR, Clay - speedy FB/h-back/TE, Thomas - can he have a more solid year (as he showed some flashes of last year) this year, Can Jerry and Murtha, along with Hicks, fill in the OL spots we have open, Clemons/Jones - Will either of these guys break out and become more solid players ?? Can Wilson be in the mix in the secondary, even with the addition of Marshall....To me, these guys will determine how many holes are filled or not filled...anyone we get in the draft to fill one of the holes is just icing on the cake...
Hicks is a guard not a tackle.

"djphinfan wrote:
you have issue with our new coaches decision on not to sign his former QB?
I don't understand this PSG??
I have issues with David Garrard being the answer. I guess you can chalk it up to a decade and half worth of frustration.
We don't know if it was the coach or GM who said no to Flynn. We'll probably never know what really happened behind closed doors.

"Larryfinfan wrote:
Wait, Hicks won't be an upgrade to Colombo ?? I doubt that...
Look, we have more holes to fill but the one that was created with trading Marshall may not be quite as big as everyone want's to make it out to be...
The big question for this team, as it stands right now (knowing the FA isn't over and the draft is yet to come), is really whether Gates, Clay, Thomas, Jerry, Murtha, Clemons, Jones and Wilson develop as many of us think they can... These guys can make or break because each can fill a hole we have....Gates - speed WR, Clay - speedy FB/h-back/TE, Thomas - can he have a more solid year (as he showed some flashes of last year) this year, Can Jerry and Murtha, along with Hicks, fill in the OL spots we have open, Clemons/Jones - Will either of these guys break out and become more solid players ?? Can Wilson be in the mix in the secondary, even with the addition of Marshall....To me, these guys will determine how many holes are filled or not filled...anyone we get in the draft to fill one of the holes is just icing on the cake...
I think the biggest question for this team is what kind of play we are going to get from the QB position.
And I have to admit, I'm not expecting to be very good.

Our last Jake Scott worked out well! Hope they sign him...then the odds of us drafting OL in the first round again get slimmer. :up:
1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team
K I K O
"Dolphins1Beatles wrote:
Our last Jake Scott worked out well! Hope they sign him...then the odds of us drafting OL in the first round again get slimmer. :up:
I still wouldn't put it past Ireland to draft a linemen.
Not sure he can help himself.

"FreeStyle wrote:
Looks like Wheeler didn't like the vibe in Miami...........
Free agent LB Philip Wheeler will visit the Raiders on Thursday.
Wheeler has drawn interest from Miami and now Oakland since the beginning of free agency. He'd be a candidate to replace old SLB Kamerion Wimbley.
Just leveraging himself in the market more than likely..
We are real sailormen, the destroyermen of the fleet.
We can follow the tracks and ride the backs of the dolphins.
We will be where the action is in every situation.
When things are getting too rough for anyone else,
they're getting just right for us!
"FreeStyle wrote:
Looks like Wheeler didn't like the vibe in Miami...........
Free agent LB Philip Wheeler will visit the Raiders on Thursday.
Wheeler has drawn interest from Miami and now Oakland since the beginning of free agency. He'd be a candidate to replace old SLB Kamerion Wimbley.
Nobody wants to play for this franchise as long as Jeff Ireland is in charge! Get rid of him already! :pity:
Jeff Fisher did the right move to join a franchise who soon will be in the playoffs... :sad:
Pray for the lost souls, injured and families that have been affected in the Boston Marathon explosion
"FreeStyle wrote:
I'm actually more interested in the Jake Scott situation, he's a player we need for the o-line...
Any news on Jake?
The Big MIA :clap: !
"FreeStyle wrote:
Well this was posted yesterday on another site i found, not to much but here is a small quote....
Not sure how reliable the site actually is...So don't everyone don't freak out on me if the site sucks..lol
Good info! I'll believe it when it's done with any of those players and not a rumor anymore, too many rumors that get us hyped about good news and then... we all know the not so happy endings lately! :tantrum:
Jake Scott is a must needed signing for sure!
Pray for the lost souls, injured and families that have been affected in the Boston Marathon explosion
I understand fromhis stats and what people say that Scott is a good Olineman. What puzzles me though is a lot of teams out there could use a good OG and having looked all or any place I could find, that seems to be not much interest in Jake Scott. So, I gotta ask, whats that say about him ?
Grubbs and Nicks were picked up as soon as FA started, Wells got grabbed by the Rams. Scott, on the other hand with all his accolades from fans on this board and other boards has not garnered much attention from anyNFL teams. I mean if Tenn could afford Peyton Manning as apparently they can, they can't afford to keep a good offensive guard like Scott ? Tenn head coach Mike Munchak is one of the best Oline guys in the NFL and I am to believe as good as people here are claiming he is, Munchak is just going to let him walk ? Something does not add up.
http://images.thephins.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3648_5.gif
"FreeStyle wrote:
Maybe it's me but damn we take forever to sign players, yes we got Marshall and a couple others but were at a standstill now, if not both of these players just sign Jake Scott, he is a much needed piece to the puzzle..
Can't always be Justin Smiley 30mins in to FA.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.
"FreeStyle wrote:
haha I remember that, I had rotoworld open and bam it popped up...
Yeah, good "old" days, which won't happen again soon!
Pray for the lost souls, injured and families that have been affected in the Boston Marathon explosion
"Dolfan4Life wrote:
Yeah, good "old" days, which won't happen again soon!
Us overpaying for an injury-prone and underwhelming OL?
Sure hope not.
Silence

It's ******* Golden.