1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyler Thigpen: Possible trade bait?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NolePhin, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I take it you've actually never seen him with the ball in his hands in the open field......

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Charlie Whitehurst and his 0 NFL pass attempts fetched a #3 and a swap of #60 for #40. That's what it took to get a #3 QB from another conference.

Just over a year ago, Thigpen scored 22 touchdowns for Buffalo's head coach. And he is clearly the #2 guy in Miami right now.

Trading that guy within the division is going to require at least a #2 pick IMO. And even that might not be enough simply because you don't want to help a division rival.

Doesn't matter if Seattle overpaid for Whitehurst. The bar has been set for this season. Similar to when teams overpay for marginal players. It's the A.J. Feeley trade all over again, only worse. :lol: But that's what the good teams do. They get good value and exploit desperate teams in trades.

IMO you don't take risks at the quarterback position. If you're strong there, you remain strong. With Henne still having something to prove, and Pennington rehabbing on a 1-year deal, I don't think you mess around here.

Come next offseason, you slap the 1st round tender on Thigpen. He isn't going anywhere unless Miami allows it. In 2011, $2.8 million isn't a big deal for a backup QB. Pennington will make more than that as the #3 (plans change, I know). The position is simply paramount.

OT: If a deal were to go down, I think the 5th rounder would indeed be in play somewhere simply because we're looking to recoup ours (for Thigpen no less).

josephreese likes this.
  3. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i don't want to see PW fail ..... and i'm willing to wait to camp to see what growth he can show -- but he really did look very bad last year (even with his 1 or 2 lucky runs).

not sure how you could compare their rookie seasons .... up until the gift of CP, Henne was very much in the running to win the starting job. once CP showed up, not sure what anyone could have expected to see from Henne. for PW, he was drafted high, specifically to come in and enhance the WC. he did not accomplish that even in the slightest sense.

so, if we want to say that PW got on the field in his rookie year .... so be it. equally, if we are going to use that as a benchmark, then we should have higher standards for PW this year, since he actually got gametime experience last year.

I just don't see Thigpen as trade bait .... UNLESS, someone offers an early 3d rd pick or better ..... I honestly don't think any of our 3 are going anywhere .. why - because this regime wants to win - NOW .... and having CP gives a safety blanket, and Thigpen has shown flashes of potential -- so all in all, a good position to be in and keeps us there beyond this year.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree with that thought, if PW is to earn that high draft selection he has to show more than he has, it is Year #2, White has massive holes in his game that he has to close.

We all watched what Brad Smith brought to the Jets offense, White should be expected to at least obtain that leve of competence this year.

It really would depend on what was being offered for him, if the Bills packaged Donte Whitner or M Lynch and a #3 pick, we'd have to think about it imho.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    everything has its price
    however
    the QB's are
    Henne, Pennington & Thigpen
    & we need all three
    White will have an opportunity
    to make his mark @ WR
    & on SpecialTeams

6. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Padre ... agreed ....

as said, anything 'can' be had for the right price, but i do believe this regime wants to win now -- so, whilst it is possible for us to trade CP or Thigpen (not a chance on both) .... but i don't think it could happen until camp. Why, CP is a safety blanket - even though it puts some measure of pressure on Henne (but there is not doubt our offense is more dangerous with Henne at the helm); Thigpen could up his value with a good performance in camp. Depending on where we stand coming out of camp -- a move could be made then .... but one thing is for sure ... the FO will not gamble this year with 'knowns'.

padre31 likes this.
  7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Not as a Fin...

8. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    1. This remains to be seen. I justified the pick in my head as our FO must have seen this in White. I watched Randle El in college and thought we certainly could have used Pat White's talent at a position other than QB. As a QB, I don't like the pick. Based on taking BPA and using talent like the Steelers did with Randle El it made more sense. Based on how they've used him to date, it's a head scratcher.
    2. He has played QB so that gives him another element than Brown.

9. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ

Exactly. And he should be able to. Time will tell.

10. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I'd take Whitner and a 3rd. I don't want Lynch. Nothing but a punk, and an over-rated one at that.

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree on Lynch, Fred Jackson quietly had a all time season up in Buffalo, as in led the NFL in all purpose yards, Lynch never got a chance to start rolling.

And let's face it, Williams was worn down by the end of the season, Ronnie B is hurt every year, we need a quality #3 back and no, that isn't pat cobbs.

12. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    No thanks on Whitner. No thanks on Lynch. The only thing valuable Buffalo has is a 1st & 2nd round pick or Jairus Byrd. They're not giving up any of that for Thigpen.

So, you want to trade a backup QB for a slightly better Gibril Wilson & 3rd string RB? To a divison rival no less?

Also, Lynch has absolutely no value or place on this team. Not many teams require 3 RBs to carry the load. Pat Cobbs is a fine #3 RB. He does it all. Heck, Lex Hilliard is a fine #3 RB too.

13. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Wait, assuming they work out a new CBA for 2011, Thiggy will have four NFL years, going into his fifth. That would make him a UFA, right? Which means the Franchise tag at how much? It's up around $14 million or so?

Seattle got taken in the Whitehurst trade, but even then they don't cough up the third rounder till next year, so the value for this year is about a third rounder.

I get what you say about having the security of Thiggy and Penny to back up Henne, and I like it, but I'd roll the dice if a trade offer was on the table and we could get a couple more picks to move up as we wanted, or trade back down, or trade for a pick next year. It's a luxury to have extra picks.

Watch the Pats for example, I could see them trading the Jags second rounder back to them for their third rounder and 2011 first rounder. That would give them three first rounders in 2011 (with probably rookie salary draft slotting in place). The Jags have to find a way to get Tebow, and the Pats have the enough extra picks to deal as they please.