1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyrann Mathieu on how many drug tests he failed

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ckparrothead, Apr 12, 2013.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Well, according to the armchair psychologists around here, all he's done is lie through his teeth to better his draft stock.

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How many chances should less talented people get in your estimation? 20? 167?

3. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    If you were a quarter as talented as TM, you'd be in the NFL and not trolling here.

4. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    I don't care how many drug tests he failed, he is a playmaker and that's what we need!

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    No I don't think he's tight hipped, I think he plays the game without disciplined technique, because he's so talented, and he knows that he can get to point b faster than anyone just by playing a freestyle type game..

One of my points is, if this kid did start to take the game of technique seriously, he's gonna be a star.

At the combine, he showed what he could do when he had to focus on technique, he looked effortless, fluid and fast as hell when he flipped..he was easily the most fluid looking secondary player on the field..

I've stated that this is a hunch, and I'm basing this discussion on his talent and the assumption that he has a good heart..I'm may be wrong about his ability to commit, but I'm real confident about what I project his talent is.

MrClean likes this.
  6. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    Exactly, as soon as he'll focus on playing and have people help him with his off the field issues he'll be a great nickelback!

7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You mean, once he has millions of dollars living on South Beach?

You have it completely backwards. He should've and did have LOTS of people trying to help him at LSU. In the pro's you better be an adult or you won't last a season....and I don't think he will.

8. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Oh, and he never realized that the possibility of playing for a National Champion team wasn't a joke? He not only forgot it, he forgot it a minimum of 10 times.

The kid was propped up by an agent to get his act together long enough to get a paycheck...at which time, he will more than likely do what he likes doing best, which obviously isn't playing football.

9. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    True! It looks like he is focused and ready for a big change in his life! He is young and made mistakes like we all did but he's clean for 6 months now!

10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    WADR, I understood what he was saying. I am just saying...just cause the kid comes on and reads a script, and gets in shape for his very last chance, does NOT mean he has turned the corner.

Another thing to think about. Any year, at his age, that a player misses can be absolutely DETRIMENTAL to his development. That list goes on and on and on. Oh, and regardless of what anybody says, smoking pot is not good for your body, especially if you are a top-tier athlete. I am not saying it;s like was injecting heroin, cause I am not nearly that naive, but smoking the evil still takes its toll on a person.

Once again, if he is there in the 5th, sure, I honestly hope we take a chance on him. Anything sooner, and we are more than likely just throwing a pick away.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You don't have to be a psychologist. You just need common sense. If somebody makes the same mistake in excess of 10 times and obviously tells you he's do better every time why would you decide to believe him the 15th (or so) time? Unless you just want to pretend that every other time he said he actually said, "no, I plan to continue smoking pot, give me a joint" and that this is now the one time that he said he would stop. At it's not even about lying. He may actually believe it. But as a listener it's just common sense. If you asked me to lend you $10,000 and promised to pay me back, but never did. I'd probably be less likely to lend you another $10,000 if you asked again. But if you kept doing that in excess of 10 times then you asked me to do it again, I'd have to be a special kind of stupid to believe that you were likely to pay me back this time. And if another friend knew that you had been that unreliable with me, and you asked them for $10,000 they'd have to be pretty darn foolish to believe you would pay them back.

Fin D and azfinfanmang like this.
  12. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Very very very good analogy!!!

rafael likes this.
  13. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    5th round? Sure, he would be a steal by then but i think he won't last after the 3rd round! And you're talking about throwing away picks? I would rather take a chance on him in the 3rd than throwing away a 2nd round pick like we did so often in the last couple years!

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Did I insult you? Did I ask too difficult a question for you?

15. MrClean

Having a good athletic nickel back to man the slot is very important, and that is where Mathieu best fits. On the other hand, Nickell Robey is probably just as good manning the slot and he comes with no baggage concerns that I am aware of.

16. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    that kid was just 18 years old when this all happened, 18 !!!, mistakes happen, give him a break

17. MrClean

It seems like I've read some comments on how they can just tell by the way he blinks his eyes while talking, or the way he scratches his ear, rubs his chin, body language, etc etc. Their keen eyes can just tell he is lying. Yeah he has quite a questionable track record off the field. But, just listening to him talk, I'm not so full of myself to pretend I just know from watching him say what he says that he is obviously lying. Then again, I've never been any good at lying, so maybe he is fooling me. They say you can't bullsh!t a bullsh!tter.

djphinfan likes this.
  18. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i dunno he is from frostproof, florida....that must be the dumbest name of a village, city whatever you wanna call it, ever !!!

19. MrClean

I dunno. I thought Worms, Germany was a pretty dumb name, unless worms means something different in German.

Also, I guess you never heard of Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas. :shifty:

20. MrClean

That's what I'm thinking too, which makes all our constant discussion rather moot. In that role playing the slot, I'm thinking I like Robey just as well, at least doing the primary task of a slot corner, covering the slot receiver. Mathieu brings other aspects to his game, with his knack for blitzing, stripping the ball, etc. Heck, I wouldn't mind if we took both Mathieu and Robey.

21. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    How did LSU try to help him...by letting him fail over 10 drug tests first?

Dolfan4Life likes this.
  22. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Because I can't seem to get a hold of you via visitor message... clear your PM box.

23. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    Exactly my point!

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    3rd round pick as projected..Arizona willing to take some measures working with the kid..well played Arians and co, that's what you do when you have a blue chip talent fall into your lap in the third, you take measures to eliminate some risks while you teach the young man how to become one cause the reward is so high..real high, no pun intended..lol.

Gonna be a star..and we are gonna regret.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Def not going to regret the media circus he'll bring to AZ.

26. MrClean

This was absolutely the best place for him to go. Patrick Peterson being there is the reason why. It also does not hurt that they also drafted Kevin Minter. Tyrann needs the support group that only Peterson, in the NFL anyway, can supply. JMO.

27. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Def not going to regret our FO having to worry about this delinquent or having to have someone hold his hand.

Bpk likes this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Posted by Josh Alper on June 10, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT

"AP
    When Carson Palmer was the quarterback for the Bengals, he used to face the Steelers twice every season.

That meant he would see a lot of Steelers safety Troy Polamalu on film and then again on the field, the kind of exposure that leads a man to formulate a pretty good scouting report on a player. Palmer’s probably not spending much time looking at film of Polamalu now that he’s in Arizona, but says that he’s getting reminders of Polamalu every day at practice all the same by watching rookie Tyrann Mathieu work at safety.

“He reminds of Troy Polamalu with his closing speed,” said Palmer, via Peter King in Monday Morning Quarterback on SI.com. “He might not be the fastest guy out there, but he can change directions and get to the ball really fast, like Troy.”

Good analysis mr Palmer.. There's still time to change your mind on this special football player??

Anyone, Bueller?

29. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    if you're wrong, I hope you have the huevos to bump this thread like you are now.

30. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Wait.

Stop EVERYTHING.

A player on the Arizona Cardinals just complimented another player on the Arizona Cardinals?

Why isn't this on CNN?

SICK likes this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    trying to keep things fun, the bump was to show that safety was his natural position, not corner, where a lot of criticism I thought was misguided, hence the Palumalu quote from me.

32. MrClean

Who is Palumalu?

:shifty:

33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Might wana at least wait til they have pads on or play an actual game.

34. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Damn you're demanding as ****.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Auto correct said so..

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I know I know, god, you guys..

I thought my post had enough humor in it not to get such serious reactions..

I won't bump the thread if I'm proven to be right, I will if I'm wrong.

37. MrClean

Auto correct is messed up then. :)

38. MrClean

Bump for DJ :up:

http://arizonasports.com/?nid=40&sid=1653516

djphinfan and Fin-Omenal like this.
  39. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY