1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyrone Culver wants to be the answer at free safety

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 7, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Tyrone Culver wants to be the answer at free safety
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/06/1566556/culver-wants-to-be-the-answer.html

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    between Culver, Clemons, Jason Allen
    & the possible conversion Sean Smith
    w/ the return of Will Allen to CornerBack,
    I think FreeSafety is well covered.
    I'm sure we'll add another to the mix
    via the draft, but it looks solid to me.

Coach 'em up!:dolphin:

dolfan7171 and MikeHoncho like this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Questions: Do they give Culver a shot at it now? Can he prove it? 32 total tackles last year (less than the year before)...

4. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    Culver and Clemons are big question marks, neither player has shown flashes of anything beyond mediocrity. Jason Allen? Kill me. Sean Smith has no shot of being converted. Well covered in question marks, maybe.

5. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    it is not covered at all ... but Culver will certainly get a shot - no matter who we draft. all he has to do is show it on the field.

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Culver was pretty good imo last year as a nickel and dime back...havent seen enough of him tackling to have an educated opinion on the switch, but I liked what he did in coverage in 09.

7. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I like him, I just wonder why he didn't fill in for Gibril much last year if he's the answer.

8. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Maybe not enough time to transition? If they transitioned him this year he'd have the full offseason to learn the position. Mid year might be too much of a shock I'd imagine.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Culver would do fine at FS. I don't think he has the speed to be great back there, but I think he can be as good (or slightly better) than Hill was two seasons ago. Overall our defense compares very favorably against the 2008 unit that ranked 15th.

2008 depth chart
    RE = Vonnie Holliday, Phillip Merling, Rodrique Wright
    NT = Jason Ferguson, Paul Soliai, Anthony Toribio
    LE = Randy Starks, Kendall Langford, Lionel Dotson
    SOLB = Matt Roth, Charlie Anderson, Rob Ninkovich
    WILB = Channing Crowder
    SILB = Akin Ayodele, Reggie Torbor
    WOLB = Joey Porter, Quentin Moses
    RCB = Andre Goodman, Jason Allen
    LCB = Will Allen
    SS = Yeremiah Bell
    FS = Renaldo Hill

2010 depth chart
    RE = Randy Stark, Ryan Baker, Lionel Dotson
    NT = Paul Soliai, Tony McDaniel, Jason Ferguson
    LE = Kendall Langford, Phillip Merling, Ikaika Alama-Francis
    WOLB = Cameron Wake, Erik Walden
    WILB = Karlos Dansby, J.D Folsom
    SILB = Channing Crowder, Reggie Torbor
    SOLB = Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses, Brian Johnston
    RCB = Sean Smith, Jason Allen, Evan Oglesby
    FS = Tyrone Culver, Chris Clemons, Nate Ness
    SS = Yeremiah Bell
    LCB = Vontae Davis, Will Allen

I see our DL as slightly better assuming Soliai develops. The 2010 version of Starks is an upgrade over a good Holliday and Langford is about equal to the 2008 Starks. I think Soliai should be close to the IMO over rated two down 2008 Fergy. And by the second half of the season I think our run downs NTs are better than they were in 2008. I also think McDaniel is better as our third down NT than anything we were using in 2008.

AT LB Wake's development is key. IMO he can be this year's Dumervil for Nolan. If so he won't be huge downgrade from Porter as a pass rusher and will be at least as good against the run (Porter's work against the run is pretty low bar). I think Anderson or Moses should be better than Roth as rushers but weaker against the run. Dansby should be a huge upgrade over Crowder and will have an even bigger impact in our nickel and dime defenses. I also think Crowder is a significant upgrade over Ayodele at SILB.

In the secondary, the development of the CBs is key. If Davis and Smith progress than I see W. Allen as a vast improvement over J. Allen in the nickel spot. Bell should be the same if not better at SS and Culver should be as good or better than Hill was.

And this is pre-draft and the rest of FA. I would like to add JT or another SOLB. I'm pretty sure we'll add somebody as this draft is very deep at OLB (Worlids maybe?). I would also like to improve the depth at ILB with a late round pick.

If we take FS like ET or Berry early then that position becomes a huge strength. But even if we don't and take 3rd or 4th round FS I think we're improved from 2008.

IMO even with no improvement we can be a 15th ranked defense. So I don't think things are as dire as some portray. IMO people are caught looking at last year and think it was a talent problem. But we were much better the year before with a very similar talent level. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't upgrade the defensive talent. Just that our defense isn't doomed if we don't draft 4 LBs or other such nonsense.

MrClean, Phins28 and dolfan7171 like this.
  10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    where does this speculation of converting S Smith to safety come from? that's not even a rumor. not going to happen.

MrClean likes this.
  11. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    man our whole secondary needs work, they are so unorganized at times, we burned on big plays too much, too many mistakes and Y Bell is getting up there in age and hes the only vet we got back there.

12. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    I would like to see Sean Smith at safety. Put him there during the pre-season and see how he does.

13. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    not physical enough, doesn't tackle real well
    bad combo for a FS

dolfan7171 likes this.
  14. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Raf ..... if we take your depth chart

2010 depth chart
    RE = Randy Stark, Ryan Baker, Lionel Dotson
    NT = Paul Soliai, Tony McDaniel, Jason Ferguson
    LE = Kendall Langford, Phillip Merling, Ikaika Alama-Francis
    WOLB = Cameron Wake, Erik Walden
    WILB = Karlos Dansby, J.D Folsom
    SILB = Channing Crowder, Reggie Torbor
    SOLB = Charlie Anderson, Quentin Moses, Brian Johnston
    RCB = Sean Smith, Jason Allen, Evan Oglesby
    FS = Tyrone Culver, Chris Clemons, Nate Ness
    SS = Yeremiah Bell
    LCB = Vontae Davis, Will Allen

and add:

S = Burnett in rd 2
    DE = Carrington in rd 3
    OLB = Lane in rd 3 (bonus for trading down)
    NT = Joseph in rd 4
    (maybe another rd 4 pick for trading down)
    ILB: Chaney / Dillard or CB: Cook / Ansa or WR: White / Williams

and then throw in whomever in rd 1 .... wether that be WR: Marshall, Bryant; SOLB: Morgan, Graham, Griffen; WOLB: Hughes, Kindle; S: Berry, Thomas; DE: Odrick; G: Iupati; RB: Spiller ... gives us great improvement -- albeit, i still believe we go OLB, DE or WR.

on your depth chart - we don't have a suitable SOLB .... one that weighs 260+ (Moses isn't the guy, and Johnston is an unkown) and Anderson is clearly a WOLB = Lane fills this gap. S is a big questionmark ... Culver may be able to fill the gap, and Clemons is an unknown (albeit, i still think he has great potential) = Burnett can step in. picking a guy like Odrick and / or Carrington provides us some flexibility with Starks to move to NT ... at least to start the season (Merling is eh, and Baker is an unknown). Joseph provides additional depth immediately at NT, but doubt he'd be ready to go right away - which leads me back to Starks and DE.

this still leaves Wake as a big ???? at WOLB ... which could be fixed with Hughes or Kindle.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Of our three current top corners, Smith is by far the worst one to consider converting. Though in reality none of them will be.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.