1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ubuntu sucks

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by #1 fan, Dec 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    ok, i was bored and installed it knowing i can dual boot . . ..

anyone considering this should just stop. it takes up a whole partition and is a ****ty operating system. furthermore, it replaces windows boot record with it's own crap, so it's a complete pain to remove.

just a rant . . . i've had it for a week until i figured out how to get it off. just an fyi for those considering installing it. luckily i figured out how to get it off.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

anyone considering this should learn a thing or two about partitioning and master boot records before installing it.

EDIT:

I just got done answering a question about ubuntu and linux actually so I'll C&P it here.

2. If you had a dual boot system (running two operating systems) you'd have windows XP. What would happen is that there would be a text screen that comes up when your computer turns on asking you to boot into "Ubuntu 8.10 (for example)" or "Windows XP". There can only be one running at a time (for the sake of this question) but the other is still available. You'd just have to reboot and choose windows if you wanted it or vice versa.

If you don't have the XP disks and are thinking of partitioning your drive for a dual boot setup I would recommend reading http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:I...ows_and_Ubuntu that. That site (ubuntuguide.org) is a good starting point. If you download the CD and want to choose the Wubi installer (that guide there says what it is) it will basically install Linux inside your Windows system.. it sounds confusing but it's the safest way to go. If you don't have the XP disks I would see if someone nearby you could set up a dual boot install system. It's not really confusing to do but if for some reason it gets botched (pretty rare now-a-days) and you don't have your XP installed disks well... then you'd be really FUBARED.

There's another place to go for questions if I can't answer them by chance.. http://www.ubuntuforums.org . It's a great place. You have to sign up and obviously not everyone knows every question you may have but the most common (the gaming stuff) are covered pretty well.

This is a great thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404

If I can help further let me know
    anlgp is online now Forward Message

3. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Linux threads I must say I love it. :yes:

anlgp likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

It's not for everyone that's for sure. It doesn't even take someone technically proficient to install a beginner linux distro like ubuntu. It's when you start getting into a linux from scratch or (supposedly) a gentoo system where the inner geek either comes out.. or hides like a wimp from a bully at school.

I'm still hiding from the linux from scratch bully myself....

5. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well since my days of being a Computer Science major I must say I don't use Linux anymore especially for fun but if I had time I would. I remember doing coding projects with Linux and found myself doing extra things with it just for fun. Plus I loved how it works as an OS. I am not a Linux pro but I love it none the less.