1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UDFA rookie LB Micah Johnson Signed

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by surferosa, Aug 3, 2010.

1. surferosa

surferosa Balance and Vision

Mar 23, 2008
    I know this has been discussed elsewhere but I think it warrants its own thread. If not, feel free to close.

With Edds out, the fourth ILB spot (after Dansby, Crowder, and Dobbins) is now wide open. Micah Johnson will compete with Folsom and Spitler for a single spot. Should be fun to watch. Like many, I was high on Johnson coming out of college. Obviously he cannot replace Edds as a nickel LB against the pass, but Im hoping he shows something against the run. Brandon Spikes also ran a 5.06 at the combine and it didnt stop Bellicheck from drafting him in the second round.

03/13/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS:

LB Micah Johnson (6-foot-1 5/8, 256 pounds) posted a 4.84 and 4.92 in the 40, an 8-foot, 11-inch broad jump, 4.26 short shuttle, 7.34 three-cone drill. Johnson chose to keep his vertical jump and bench press numbers from the combine. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Stats

Career: 277 tackles, 2 FF, 2 INT

2009: 105 tackles, and a sack.

Big Games: 12 tackles 1 sack vs Louisville.

vs Alabama 10 tackles.

At Auburn 14 tackles.

vs Mississippi State 11 tackles

at Georgia 10 tackles

vs Tennessee 16 tackles (10 solo)

at Clemson (Bowl Game) 5 tackles.

2008 Stats: 87 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF

SICK likes this.
  2. surferosa

Mar 23, 2008
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    wow...

[​IMG]

4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    here's a little highlight package from 2008

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc7RoALOZfM"]YouTube- Micah Johnson Highlights 2008[/ame]

SICK, GMJohnson, CaribPhin and 2 others like this.
  5. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    He may not have the coverage skills we're looking for (with losing Edds for the season). But, he looks to have a nose for the ball carrier and isn't afraid to get dirty. He could end up being a steal. I want this kid to succeed, so I'm pulling for him.

6. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Seems like if he can get his hands on you, your going down.

Might be a huge liability in passing situations but in run support he can be a difference maker.

We'll have to see what happens during Pre-Season.

7. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well my favorite quality about the guy is he was a violent footbal player meaning that when he hits he really hits. he had a mcl problem his senior year so 2008 is better to view. i'm not sure how it is right now. might still be bothering him. he's a strong SOB though and can fight through blocks and still make tackles

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've gone down to UK a few times for games to visit my brother. Granted, UK playing against Georgia in '08 and Florida last year, were totally overmatched, but Johnson didn't miss many tackles between within the edges of the defensive line. Ask him to move and run, well, that's a different story.

9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He seems to have great acceleration at the ball carrier. Once he sees you, you standing becomes unacceptable. He could come in handy against teams like the Jags where our corners can pretty much man up on their WR's and their running game has to carry the load. Edds going down sucks but I like this pick. Maybe Dobbins can do the Nickel linebacking in coverage. Can he though?

10. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    That is one big freakin' dude !

11. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    unfortunately, size/strength doesn't always equate to talent...::cough cough Gholston::

...but here's hoping he makes an impact on the team! :yes:

HULKFish and CrunchTime like this.
  12. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thumper, wedge buster type guy. Be afraid JD Folsom, be very afraid.

13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My guess is that Dobbins would probably get the first crack at it. I know Nolan had Wesley Woodyard, another UK player in Denver, who's more of that smallish, athletic type of LB. I'm not sure we have that type of player on our roster any more with Edds, who certainly wasn't as small or athletic as Woodyard was, on the shelf.

14. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    good point. didnt even think of him on special teams but he could find a niche there

15. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I hope he has better football instincts than Gholston who is built similarly-:wink2:

HULKFish and Phinperor like this.
  16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He has quite the injury history

17. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    IMO the 4th ILB spot will turn into the 5th or 6th OLB spot.

18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    ok being that inside linebacker is the position i played in highschool and collegiately....let me give my breakdown from the limited video i have seen (the video adam posted)

--he takes on blocks pretty good. hes so massive that its hard to move him, the good thing about him taking on blocks as well is, hes always looking through the blocker....for example a fullback will be in his face, he is using his hands and size to move the blocker while continuing to look in the backfield for the ball.

--Good lateral movement. He shuffles very well from the small footage i saw. He was very quick to shuffle, and good things (what we are all taught) is he didnt turn his hips and shoulders to run full speed to the ball giving up the cut back lane. he shuffled and made the play, and he made it with fierce power.

--my next point, hes powerful. He hits THROUGH the ball carrier, it almost looks effortless when he hits guys, hes a truck, big hits, good speed, good power....good middlie linebacker. (He benched 225 pounds 31 times at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.)

--He covers the middle of the field well, did he move sideline to sideline great? no, not great. but anything in the inside he took care of. He left his feet a few times for tackles, which is a no no....but sometimes it must be done to get a hand on the ball carrier.

The cons:

--not alot of different games from that footage, it seemed he had a few good games against miss state and MTSU......thats where most of the footage was from. my question is where is the footage against florida? georgia? lsu? the big games. did he show up? did he step up into the limelight and show up when his team needed their captain?

--Not alot of video (no video) of him in coverage....there were a few screens where he flew to the ball (good) but never saw him covering a guy in man, or playing his zone well and funneling the guys in the zone through to another.

--didnt see a pass rush.

so all in all, there is obviously a reason an All-SEC 1st teamer wasnt drafted.....and was cut from the giants in otas with his size. he was injured recently (knee) so maybe hes a diamond in the rough. he wont help out coverage from linebackers, but he may surprise some people and be a good run stuffing linebacker, goaline and special teamer.

Hopefully it works out, i am rooting for him. alot of stuff i liked from him!

19. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    awesome breakdown SICK...but how exactly does one become this?

btw, nice use of the EDIT feature :wink2:

CaribPhin likes this.
  20. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    thanks....isnt the edit feature used to edit a mistake?

siciliansith likes this.
  21. Phinperor

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    :words:

22. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    It's going to be really hard for him to stick. He's a thumper, nothing more. Dreadful in coverage, and slow as death. But as a thumper, he does have some talent. Tends to make up for his lack of speed though with instincts and ability to shed blocks. Problem is, he's never healthy, and he offers nothing that Crowder and Dobbins already do. I think he can break the rotation in a 3-4 defense somewhere, just not here. His skillset is redundant with Crowder and Dobbins imo.

23. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

As a perennial all-sex 1st teamer, you have to be nominated by 10 of your yearly partners. Voted up by 70% of your yearly partners and you have to give a live showing at the combine. I mean it's rigorous but I like the attention.

24. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    OMG... I wanted us to get this guy before the draft. I'm sure he was an UDFA for a reason, but when I caught a Kentucky game last season (can't even remember which game) he stood out to me. Didn't blow the doors off, or anything, but just played solid. Has a great build.

But... I gotta wonder why the guy was still out there. Hmm...

25. surferosa

Mar 23, 2008
    Just realized that LB coach Bill Sheridan probably called Tom Coughlin to get the inside scoop on why Johnson was released by the Giants.

Does anyone know why he was let go before the start of camp?

26. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'm not sure but I recall speculating that perhaps his injury isn't fully healed and someone may sign him and stash him on the IR for a season.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm sure them favoring Jonathan Goff had something to do with it. Also, that Johnson is just not very good IMO. I don't like him much. Felt he was overrated in the draft process. JMHO though.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Johnson reminds me of that big muscle bound ILB from Louisville who was on the back end of our roster a few years ago. Robert McCune. I had some trouble remembering his name.

29. sandcastle

sandcastle Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Reports out of Giants OTA's highlighted sideline-to-sideline speed of their 4th round pick, Phillip Dillard. Perhaps, this made it more obvious that Micah Johnson was not a good fit for their 4-3 defense.

As for the Dolphins, I think the Johnson pick-up might fall somewhere in the following:
    • Quick look-see to determine if he can shed blockers and be a potential 3-4 ILB.
    • Dansby, Crowder, and Dobbins have accumulated enough reps and Sparano wants a fresh body to help test the OL.
    • Spitler missed too much time and his TC plan has been narrowed to special teams and coverage.

30. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    he could just be a body, special teamer for preseason.....doubt he sticks to the roster honestly.

31. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Maybe that build has been ¨enhanced¨ and that can lead to frequent injuries .
    David Boston comes to mind.

32. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Sounds like a rookie Akin Ayodele to me...

33. surferosa

Mar 23, 2008
    So happy that this kid looks like hes going to make the team. He was considered a potential first day pick until his disastrous 40 time at the combine. I cant imagine how gutted he was to go undrafted back in April and cut by the Giants in June. Now it looks like hes going to earn an NFL salary.

Awesome.