1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh, maybe this is something they should have fixed? (Tanny batted passes)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Sep 10, 2012.

1. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Gee CK, I'm sorry to say I'm not a person who believes you're never wrong.

If you simply cite where you obtained the data, then I don't have to wonder if it's your own personal opinion and therefore subject to the error inherent in all human beings, including you. ;)

2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

CK vs Shou

Get your popcorn ready.

unifiedtheory likes this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I didn't say I was never wrong. But I was hardly stating some kind of cloudy opinion. Either you have a grasp on the percentages to know that 19 of 531 is about twice what you want, or you don't. You don't have to assume I do. You have the right to be completely and utterly in the dark on the subject.

MrClean likes this.
  4. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Nah that's okay. I'm done. ;)

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Damn I'd love to see it.

Sometimes I agree with Ck and others I disagree to a massive extent. Same with you (though a lot less massive on the disagreements)

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This isn't about whether I'm always right. This is about whether you think I bandy about statistics that are pulled completely out of my *** and/or made up out of thin air, or whether when I pull out a statistic you should assume it's because I've researched it. If you assume the former, you have every reason to continue to be in the dark on the subject.

dolfan22 and MrClean like this.
  7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Personally it looks like you are both overreacting a bit. It is pretty standard procedure here to ask where a member got a statistic from. Yes we know you back what you say, but your reply was a bit edgy. Then his reply after was over the top too about weight in your opinion.

It looks like you guys are going back and forth about nothing.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Having the same coach and playing in the system for 4 years now, if it's a quick fix you would think our o coordinator would of patched him up.

I'm on the side where I think it's his fault, 3/4 delivery on some throws combined with not manipulating his upper body quick enough to find a slight variation in the platform while still being on time with the throw..He's so concerned with execution at this point, he's throwing it as fast as he can, I also think the pressure that he's getting for the past five games maybe rushin him to execute his responsibility without a good feel of how much time he does have..

Speed was an issue, and that will slow down for him hopefully, you could tell he wasn't working on things like ball placement, "just throw to the target today and live" he was a hundred mph lol.

Also, he was throwing the short passes with a lot more velocity then what we've seen in practice and preseason, another sign of goin a 100mph.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't think anyone questions that, I'm just not sure that Sho was implying what your saying.

10. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    The issue with Tannehill IMO is that he hasn't been a quarterback all that long, and so he doesn't have the instincts or the feel for the position that come from having played it for a long time. When you pair that with a system that requires precision from the quarterback, he's going to make errors that represent the way that precision can be uniquely defended, e.g., batting down short drop timing passes.

In other words, IMO it's a combination of his inexperience and a system that requires a certain kind of precision.

Hopefully as he plays the position a little longer, he'll develop more of a "Joe Montana" feel for this particular system and play better in it.

11. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Man, that's crazy. Didn't he have 50 something dropped passes last year as well? That seems to be continuing element as well.

MrClean likes this.
  12. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I wasn't assuming either one. I was asking you to tell me whether your statement was based on an established statistic or your own personal estimate.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Not only did Tannehill have the highest number of batted down or tipped passes at the LOS, far more than any QB in this past draft, he also had, as I recall, the highest number of dropped passes in 2011 by a considerable margin. There have been a couple of games so far here where it seems like more than the typical number of catchable passes were dropped. To me, that is a more difficult thing to try and figure out. The receivers speak well of his ball placement. His velocity is good but not the extra zip heavy ball kind of throws one would expect more drops from. His passes look more catchable, speed wise, than say Henne's were for example.

14. smhemi

smhemi Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    The Texans also led the league in batted passes last year so I would give them a little credit too, there pretty good at it

GARDENHEAD, dolfan22 and shouright like this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    she's a dumpling of love dough...wait, are we sure she's of age??lol.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Dirty ole man.....sssssinner...lol

CWBIII and Ophinerated like this.
  17. TackHammer

TackHammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Exactly ^^^^
    Texans lead the league in batted down passes last year. So you combine Tannehills penchant for low passes and the Texans penchant for knocking them down.....
    Tanny ran into the perfect storm.
    He didnt look bad for a rookie though.

18. MrClean

My opinion on the primary reason for the high number of tipped passes, is Sherman's offense incorporates such a high pct of short set quick passes, it has become rather predictable. Most tipped passes from any QB seem to come on the short set quick throw type of pass. This offense uses them more than most. If were WR screens where there is more a clear passing lane, then less chance of tips, but seems to me like for RT they come mainly on passes designed to go less than ten yds and between the hashes.
    That is my perception, without taking the time to go back through 4 preseason and 1 regular season game and analyze every play with a tipped pass.

19. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Well on the subject of if the coaches are capable of fixing this. I would say off the top of my head to have the defense in practice doing alot of disengaging and blocking passing lanes to at least start the process of breaking down where the problem(s) is(are). Maybe that way they can narrow down the issues that are causing the ball to get batted down and maybe incorperate some pump fakes to throw the DL out of timing.

Thoughts?

20. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well he doesn't have much to throw to.

21. MrClean

She looks over 18 to me, but even if by chance she isn't, she's not naked, and I'm not planning on or suggesting anyone else have sex with her or even fap to her photo. Just consider it like a work of fine art like a Monet or something. :up:

22. MrClean

Last year, when he had so many drops, his top 3 WRs were a pretty good bunch as college WRs go. Fuller was probably the least reliable when it came to drops and he was good enough to make the PS. Swope was known for his hands, and 3rd WR, who's name I won't attempt to spell without looking it up, was pretty good too.

23. MrClean

They say there's a heaven for those who await, some say it's better but I say it ain't,
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun....

;)

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    And I told you, it's based on a FIRM GRASP of ideal and acceptable percentages. You chose not to believe me. You chose to be dickish about it.

25. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Wine bottles scattered like last nights clothes
    Cigarettes, papers, and dominoes
    She laughs for a minute about the shape I'm in
    Says, "You be the sinner honey, I'll be the sin."

And not YOU you btw ;)

26. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    CK your idea of "dickish" is based on your perception that someone is challenging your unique and exquisite expertise. In your mind we should just bow down and all hail the great CK, with no questions asked.

This will be my last exchange with you on this topic.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I really like the new sig thing, it fits you..so far the girls are pretty and in good taste....( except for the accidental dude you liked)

Lol, damn I'm funny.

MrClean and Fin D like this.
  28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    And the dickishness continues.

29. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    From your end, as usual.

30. CWBIII

CWBIII Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Throw out my .02 after taking another look at the game, fwiw. Looked to me like the first tipped pass by Watt that turned into a pick was due to a combination of factors. Tannehill makes the correct read pre-snap, doesn't stare down his intended target, but does get his head around a split second early and hesitates before releasing. Almost as if he doubts his initial read at the last second, feels the clean pocket and thinks, " better safe than sorry". If he lets fly, it's a first down with room to run. The Oline was not good on this play. The Texans ran a well timed stunt enabling the end to slide past Pouncey. If Jerry attempts to initiate contact with the NT and delivers a blow, he throws the timing off. Instead he waits and catches, allowing Watts an easy angle to the 1 gap. On the other side, Incognito has to be more aggressive with Cushing. A punch gets his hands down, but isn't necessary if Richie engages Cushing and locks on instead of freezing/waiting as Cush pulls up on his rush, clearly reckognizing the drop/read and looking for the swat. The second tipped pass/int was somewhat the same. Tannehill's timing on the release should have been better, but Martin wasn't at all aggressive in dealing with the stunt. He has a chance to get a nice shot on Watt while he's (Watt) engaged with Jerry, instead Martin gives ground and waits for Jerry to pass Watt off. Martin looked indecisive. Like Keith Sims said, play-action pass blocking helps out both plays. Maybe they aren't complete, but maybe the ball gets knocked to the ground. I think it comes around with reps, timing and confidence.

dolfan22, smahtaz, djphinfan and 2 others like this.
  31. MArino2Clayton

MArino2Clayton Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    JJ Watt is one hell of a football player.

[video=youtube;TdVR0KTO2do]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdVR0KTO2do[/video]

32. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    WTF? Put the last chick with the penetrating sexy eyes back. She deserves more screen time.

CWBIII likes this.
  33. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    You were also dickish to me in this thread. Not that I'm above dickish behavior myself. Just saying...

The bottom line is that even if the ball lands harmlessly on the ground after being batted at the LOS, 3 or 4 of these per game is too many.

ckparrothead likes this.
  34. MrClean

I am changing sigs every time we lose a game.

Alex44 likes this.
  35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Thats totally not cool because if we don't like a girl, we have to root for a loss in a sense. Or stop gawking at your sigs I guess....

36. MrClean

No matter which one I may like, there will never be a total agreement on whether or not she is good looking enough. Heck, I had that other new one up for like only an hour today, and several were concerned she is too young.

Alex44 likes this.
  37. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I just simmed a game in Madden we lost now change the picture. Thighs to manly. I think she gives MJD a run for his money on who has bigger thighs.

CWBIII and Alex44 like this.
  38. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    True about peoples opinions, I'm concerned she's too gone now myself rather than too young. Oh well.

Anyway yeah batted down passes.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ahhh man...booooooooo, chicks with abs, and muscles, booooooo..

Quick story, long time ago I was training some folks in palm beach Florida, there was a woman who was competing and won Miss fitness USA back in the day that liked me a lot, she had a boyfriend that could crush me, but she pursued, and she flirted,and she eventually pressured, and pressured some more, I wont get into to many gory details but, let's just say I had to do it... and I nonos likey..worst sexual experience ever..

40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

I think you need to PM me the story of how a woman forces a man to do her :lol: but I agree....not into hard bodied women. Just my personal taste, I like the look of a soft but beautiful body.

ANYWAY BATTED BALLS