Uhh what if Lazor leaves in the offseason?

59 replies

LBLBsFinestNew MemberOP
Dec 21, 2014, 11:34 PM

It's funny to me that the people defending this idiotic move to retain Philbin really only support the decision so Tannehill can continue to work with Lazor when it's not even 100% guaranteed our OC will still be here next year. I mean I'm sure he'll get at least one interview for a head coaching position after the job he's now done with Foles and Tannehill. Or he could get a head coaching offer in college.

If he does leave does anyone trust the man that wanted to keep Sherman to find a suitable replacement?

here's a well respected league insider's thoughts from a couple months ago.

Woody Johnson will inevitably fire Rex & should clean house. if I were betting man, I'd project Tom Gamble as GM & Bill Lazor as Head Coach

Combination I've been pushing #Eagles Tom Gamble GM & #Dolphins OC Bill Lazor Head Coach. Worked together in past, & Lazor's young star NFL

Gamble and Lazor? The executive I've wanted to hire for years steals our OC away and they go off to rebuild the Jets? While we keep Philbin? Sheesh talk about worst case scenario....

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 21, 2014, 11:36 PM

Go Lazor GO!!!!!!!!!

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Dec 21, 2014, 11:48 PM

"LBsFinest wrote:

It's funny to me that the people defending this idiotic move to retain Philbin really only support the decision so Tannehill can continue to work with Lazor when it's not even 100% guaranteed our OC will still be here next year. I mean I'm sure he'll get at least one interview for a head coaching position after the job he's now done with Foles and Tannehill. Or he could get a head coaching offer in college.

If he does leave does anyone trust the man that wanted to keep Sherman to find a suitable replacement?

If that occurred it would make Dolphins OC a much more desirable position. Kinda like Packers OC. Or Philly QB Coach.

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 21, 2014, 11:52 PM

"Piston Honda wrote:

If that occurred it would make Dolphins OC a much more desirable position. Kinda like Packers OC. Or Philly QB Coach.

If Lazor leaves then Philbin will have to find someone from within.

No one will come in to that situation.

Maybe you can take it Piston

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Dec 21, 2014, 11:54 PM

"bigbry wrote:

If Lazor leaves then Philbin will have to find someone from within.

No one will come in to that situation.

Maybe you can take it Piston

No one would want the OC position that just produced a Head Coach job? Yeah, OK.

I would put in my resume' but there's no way I could compete, contrary to popular opinion coaching from the couch is much easier. And less time consuming.

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 21, 2014, 11:57 PM

"Piston Honda wrote:

No one would want the OC position that just produced a Head Coach job? I think you've had one too many LOL.

I don't drink and Its apparent you aren't old enough to drink.

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 12:03 AM

"Piston Honda wrote:

No one would want the OC position that just produced a Head Coach job? Yeah, OK.

I would put in my resume' but there's no way I could compete, contrary to popular opinion coaching from the couch is much easier. And less time consuming.

He's saying no one wants to come into a team with a coach on the hot seat and the risk of dismantling after 1 year on the job. Personally, I think a quality OC doesn't think like that. You have to think that you can make the difference to push this offense to the next level. If that isn't your mindset, then you're a dead man walking to begin with.

youre welcome

HEheylookatmeForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 12:04 AM

Good question. Hope the Ravens ****-can Gary Kubiak?

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 12:05 AM

"bigbry wrote:

I don't drink and Its apparent you aren't old enough to drink.

Does it matter? If I wasn't I'd do it anyway.

What I'm not old enough to get all cynical and depressed over a game. Apparently you're the sad clown.

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 22, 2014, 12:09 AM

"Piston Honda wrote:

Does it matter? If I wasn't I'd do it anyway.

What I'm not old enough to get all cynical and depressed over a game. Apparently you're the sad clown.

I predicted an 8-8 season.

No disappointment, sadness here.

Now, before your mom has you do your chores ask me why.

DODolphinGregSupporter
Dec 22, 2014, 12:12 AM
"LBsFinest wrote:

It's funny to me that the people defending this idiotic move to retain Philbin really only support the decision so Tannehill can continue to work with Lazor when it's not even 100% guaranteed our OC will still be here next year. I mean I'm sure he'll get at least one interview for a head coaching position after the job he's now done with Foles and Tannehill. Or he could get a head coaching offer in college.

If he does leave does anyone trust the man that wanted to keep Sherman to find a suitable replacement?

here's a well respected league insider's thoughts from a couple months ago.

Woody Johnson will inevitably fire Rex & should clean house. if I were betting man, I'd project Tom Gamble as GM & Bill Lazor as Head Coach

Combination I've been pushing #Eagles Tom Gamble GM & #Dolphins OC Bill Lazor Head Coach. Worked together in past, & Lazor's young star NFL

Gamble and Lazor? The executive I've wanted to hire for years steals our OC away and they go off to rebuild the Jets? While we keep Philbin? Sheesh talk about worst case scenario....

I don't think Bill Lazor impressed anyone enough this year to be considered a leading HC candidate for any job. It would be a huge reach for any team to do that.

I like his upside quite a bit personally, but Lazor has a lot to prove as an OC. He had some real rough patches this season in the way of play calling. He's very quick to abandon the run and put the game on Tannehill's shoulders. I guess it's a credit to Tannehill that Lazor feels he can do that, but I don't see any team reaching out to get Lazor as a HC. I just don't see the reasoning behind it. I feel very fortunate that Philbin was able to get Lazor down to Miami but I'll be the first to admit Lazor is far from proven.

Down the road I guess it's a possibility but Lazor has too much too work on. I think it's in his best interest to stay put since he can continue to work with Tannehill.

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 12:13 AM

"GISH wrote:

He's saying no one wants to come into a team with a coach on the hot seat and the risk of dismantling after 1 year on the job. Personally, I think a quality OC doesn't think like that. You have to think that you can make the difference to push this offense to the next level. If that isn't your mindset, then you're a dead man walking to begin with.

youre welcome

I know what he was saying, but thanks.

You're absolutely right. A man with the drive and ambition to reach the top levels of coaching in the NFL is almost certain to believe he can make the difference. Lazor becoming a HC after only one year in Miami will give Philbin valuable street cred in recruiting a replacement, far more than he had when he went shopping the first time. There's no shortage of smart coaches ready to step in and coach an up and coming QB like Ryan Tannehill, this is just more doom and gloom from a professional doom and gloomer.

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 12:20 AM

Philbin is not a system guy. He is not an offensive guy. He really is nothing more than a manager. A 3rd system in 3 years will be a terrible thing. And frankly, this is our best offensive output in about 12 or so years. I will be devastated if Lazor resigns or gets hired away. And we will be in serious trouble.

Dec 22, 2014, 12:38 AM

"Piston Honda wrote:

No one would want the OC position that just produced a Head Coach job? Yeah, OK.

I would put in my resume' but there's no way I could compete, contrary to popular opinion coaching from the couch is much easier. And less time consuming.

No. No one will want an OC position with a mediocre coach who will finish at .500 again and be gone.

Ross is killing this team and the fans.

If Lazor goes to the Jets, that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DODolphinGregSupporter
Dec 22, 2014, 12:38 AM

"Sethdaddy8 wrote:

Philbin is not a system guy. He is not an offensive guy. He really is nothing more than a manager. A 3rd system in 3 years will be a terrible thing. And frankly, this is our best offensive output in about 12 or so years. I will be devastated if Lazor resigns or gets hired away. And we will be in serious trouble.

I agree that losing Lazor would sort of undermine what we're going for by keeping Philbin, but still, the chances of that are slim. He's simply not HC material at this point--not with Harbaugh, Ryan, Bowles, Quinn, etc. all on the market.

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 12:47 AM

"Da 'Fins wrote:

No. No one will want an OC position with a mediocre coach who will finish at .500 again and be gone.

Ross is killing this team and the fans.

If Lazor goes to the Jets, that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, the Jets. The 3 win Jets. With Geno Smith at QB. If you think Lazor'd be interested in that job you should have no problem understanding why OC candidates would be jumping thru hoops to be the OC in Miami.

Larry LittleLarry LittleSupporter
Dec 22, 2014, 12:47 AM

"Sethdaddy8 wrote:

Philbin is not a system guy. He is not an offensive guy. He really is nothing more than a manager. A 3rd system in 3 years will be a terrible thing. And frankly, this is our best offensive output in about 12 or so years. I will be devastated if Lazor resigns or gets hired away. And we will be in serious trouble.

Even if they end up 8-8, what I saw this season was a team showing signs of being something special. I want to see this group together one more season.

Now, what I really mean to say is... I want to see Lazor, and Tannehill, and this offense together for one more season before I give up on them.

I believe in these guys.

The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese

DODolphinGregSupporter
Dec 22, 2014, 12:49 AM

"Larry Little wrote:

Even if they end up 8-8, what I saw this season was a team showing signs of being something special. I want to see this group together one more season.

Now, what I really mean to say is... I want to see Lazor, and Tannehill, and this offense together for one more season before I give up on them.

I believe in these guys.

A lot of us saw that and believe what you're saying.

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 22, 2014, 12:51 AM

"Larry Little wrote:

Even if they end up 8-8, what I saw this season was a team showing signs of being something special. I want to see this group together one more season.

Now, what I really mean to say is... I want to see Lazor, and Tannehill, and this offense together for one more season before I give up on them.

I believe in these guys.

Exactly why Philbin is being retained.

No other reason IMO.

Larry LittleLarry LittleSupporter
Dec 22, 2014, 12:53 AM

"bigbry wrote:

Exactly why Philbin is being retained.

No other reason IMO.

On that, we agree 100%.

The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 12:57 AM

"DolphinGreg wrote:

I agree that losing Lazor would sort of undermine what we're going for by keeping Philbin, but still, the chances of that are slim. He's simply not HC material at this point--not with Harbaugh, Ryan, Bowles, Quinn, etc. all on the market.

IF Lazor got a HC gig Philbin would be able to use that as a recruiting tool, along with Tannehill and an offense on the verge of becoming very good. It's possible he could nab an ever better prospect than Lazor was last year. Of course this whole discussion is a way of discrediting Philbin, implying that Lazor is responsible for the improvements on offense.

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 12:59 AM

"Larry Little wrote:

Even if they end up 8-8, what I saw this season was a team showing signs of being something special. I want to see this group together one more season.

Now, what I really mean to say is... I want to see Lazor, and Tannehill, and this offense together for one more season before I give up on them.

I believe in these guys.

The massive problem for me is that Lazor is on borrowed time. I am livid Philbin has been retained. And I actually think we should make the playoffs next year. But Philbin is not a mastermind, he is a manager. Chip Kelly, Sean Payton(usually) brings the O. Carroll, Bellichick, Ryan bring the D. For us, our offense rides on Lazor. He brings the O. Coyle failed to bring the D. So when Lazor leaves, it will just be Philbin, who brings nothing. It's a long term thing for me. And so if we had a shot at Harbaugh, we had to take it. I mean jeez, at least just wait and see how we finish after the Jet game!!

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Dec 22, 2014, 01:01 AM

"Piston Honda wrote:

IF Lazor got a HC gig Philbin would be able to use that as a recruiting tool, along with Tannehill and an offense on the verge of becoming very good. It's possible he could nab an ever better prospect than Lazor was last year. Of course this whole discussion is a way of discrediting Philbin, implying that Lazor is responsible for the improvements on offense.

So by pointing that out it steers the conversation back to Philbin hate, right...got it.

DODolphinGregSupporter
Dec 22, 2014, 01:06 AM

"Sethdaddy8 wrote:

The massive problem for me is that Lazor is on borrowed time. I am livid Philbin has been retained. And I actually think we should make the playoffs next year. But Philbin is not a mastermind, he is a manager. Chip Kelly, Sean Payton(usually) brings the O. Carroll, Bellichick, Ryan bring the D. For us, our offense rides on Lazor. He brings the O. Coyle failed to bring the D. So when Lazor leaves, it will just be Philbin, who brings nothing. It's a long term thing for me. And so if we had a shot at Harbaugh, we had to take it. I mean jeez, at least just wait and see how we finish after the Jet game!!

Today Stephen Ross said something that I admire a lot. Someone asked if today's big win helped seal Philbin's fate.

Looking puzzled, Stephen Ross replied that 'it's a great win but it's just one game.'

That's how real decisions get made. You don't throw away 3 years of hard work and "let it all ride" on the next 60 seconds.

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Dec 22, 2014, 01:10 AM

The decision did not need to be made until after the season. This game meant nothing. Neither does next week. Winning meaningless games is not our issue. We have not won once when the season was on the line in our 4 chances over the past 2 years. The decision should be made on losing those 4 huge games, not this or next weeks small game.

People are assuming Atlanta Will be firing Smith. Why? He had 2 tough seasons but has been a winner otherwise? Ross has had 3 rough seasons and nothing else. Hard work is irrelevant. Tony Sparano worked like an animal while here.