1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Umpire's in Baseball are the WORST

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Jt0323, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    They are terrible, and they just ruin this guy's perfect game in the 9th inning with 2 outs.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=300602106

Im sure you all will see it and it will be a play shown for years, but its sick as a baseball fan to see this. Could have been 3 perfect games in a season, which is Unthinkable. Never have we seen 2 in one season, let a lone 3... And this guy gets it but he takes it away from him... It was not even close, he was out, and in situations like that, you give it to him. Austin Jackson also made an amazing play to keep it alive, all for nothing, what a Jerk that umpire is...Hell never ump again in Detroit

Anonymous likes this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    one of the absolute worst calls i have ever seen in my sport watching life. disgusting. ****ing disgusting. this kid just got royally ****ed out of history. pathetic. this umpire should resign. whata joke iam livid.

3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    meh it happens. and it happens in every sport.

4. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    me too. I watched that and felt sick, im am also watching the yankee game and i just don't care about baseball right now, its so disgusting to see an umpire take the one thing that will make him remembered in baseball and throw it away. Its a sad day for baseball, i would be embarrassed if i was an umpire in the sport. They are the worst officiating crew in sports. He was clearly out and you give him the benefit of the doubt in a situation like that. Why would you ever call him safe when its that close. Armando Galarraga will never pitch a game like he done tonight.

5. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    No it doesn't, not like this...

6. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    plenty of games have been decided by bad/good calls. I'm also sure plenty of people have lost records due to it.

7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    when it comes to something like a perfect game, it has only been done like 20 times in the long long history of the game......26 major league hitters come up, and you dont hit, walk, give up a hit or have any errors.....and 1 more comes up.....and the umpire blows a call that tball umpires make on a "clock work" like basis.....to ruin history, a perfect game....PERFECT.....that doesnt happen often. not even close bro.

8. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    its not about the game, yeah bad calls happens all the time in all sports, but nothing like this. The guy could have achieved something only 20 people have done before, one of the rarest thing in baseball and it was taken away from him on horrible call. They guy pitched the game of his life, for nothing

9. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    a perfect game is huge yes, this is a large mistake yes, but stating it only happens in baseball? There are other large consequences in other sports, take boxing, people have died because the ref didn't make the "right call" so to speak. It happens, no reason to go over the deep end about it.

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    sorry i cant hear you on this cliff iam standing on.........

jetssuck likes this.
  11. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    well talk down gallarraga because I'm sure he's right there with you.....

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    he already jumped.............****in jim joyce

13. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think that all umpires are inherently bad. But this call was pretty awful. MLB umps are better than this.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5244860&categoryid=2378529

I could see the game being appealed and overturned, especially based on the fact that the game ended with the next batter. The guy was clearly out.

14. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    This year they have been awful.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    And it wasn't even close, too. He was clearly out. What the hell was he thinking?

16. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NBA refs are worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetssuck, 305 and alen1 like this.
  17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The pitcher isn't crying about it, and neither should we. The ump admitted the mistake.

18. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The baseball commish should make an exception and award this kid the perfect game. MLB is ALL about history and this could go down as one of those rare and unique moments where the MLB broke tradition and did something dramatic.

My money is on Selig doing nothing.. Which is exactly why I went from being a die hard baseball fan 10 years ago to someone that could care less today.. Heck back in the day I almost considered baseball superior to the NFL, but luckily I had some guy by the name of Marino to watch.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  19. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    "Most important call of my career and I kicked the **** out of it. I cost that kid a perfect game."

Jim Joyce

jetssuck likes this.
  20. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    It's not just a regular mistake, though. This was a PERFECT game on the line. Something has to be done.

21. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    why does everyone capitalize PERFECT lol

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It sucks that Galarraga's perfect game got ruined by a blown call but the only thing that is going to come of this is more possible instant replay usage in the future, not just for HRs.

MLB isn't going to do anything about this, nor should they. Yeah it sucks the ump blew the call and cost the kid a perfect game but blown calls have happened before and will continue to happen. They can't go back and change a decision because it leads to a slippery slope of why should this be overruled and not a play like what happened in the 1985 World Series with Don Denkinger in what cost the Cardinals the WS title or why not over turn the 1996 play with the Orioles and Jeter's 'HR' that a fan reached over and caught.

Bottom line is people are going to yell and scream about this for another few days and then in 2 weeks forget all about it.

I do give a lot of respect to Galarraga who handled the situation extremely classy.

23. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This situation was unique. There were two out in the bottom of the ninth and the third out was recorded, which should have ended the game and resulted in a perfect game.

There was no other possible outcome after the out was made. In those other cases mistakes were made, but not on the last play of the game.. If the Indians came back and won the game then the scenario would be impossible to overturn, but in this case Selig should do the right thing and award the kid a perfect game.

24. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Baseball should absolutely award the perfect game to him. They won't, but they should, and he should go in the record books as a perfect game thrower.

The ump screwed up....BADLY. We are talking to the point where you have to almost think he had an agenda going into that play. Yes, he admitted his mistake, which, to me, means baseball should do everything in their power to rescind and do the right thing.

But they won't because Bud Selig actually worse than this call.

25. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's a part of the game, if anything the memory of the blown call will be larger than if he had throw a perfect game.

If anything baseball has improved this yr, that is a bold statement but my goodness a game flies by now, the Braves v Phillies was in the top of the 6th inning..in an hour.

For me, that is a huge improvement over the 3.5 hour marathons.

jetssuck likes this.
  26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think it would cheapen the perfect game. I understand that the ump blew the call on the last play of the game but who's to say that an ump hasn't blown a call in favor of the pitcher in another perfect game or no hitter that's happened in the past, or something like this happened to a pitcher in an earlier inning? MLB shouldn't overrule the call on the field just because it was a perfect game, you can't change rules due to certain situations. It sucks that it happened but you got to move on from it.

27. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Blown Call in Perfect Game with 2 outs in the 9th.

Wow...
    Just have to say I feel terrible for Gallaraga.
    I feel bad for the Ump too. He admitted he was wrong immediately after.
    Even if you think it was a close call with 2 outs in the 9th, I say the tie has to go to the Perfect Pitcher.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6z7LF3O_lE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6z7LF3O_lE[/ame]

Just a terrible story.
    I wish they could retroactively fix it.
    Enter instant replay talk 24/7 on ESPN for the next 2 weeks.

305 likes this.
  28. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    joyce:

29. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Already posted.

30. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    already already posted

King Felix, PrepDogg and Mainge like this.
  31. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    He and Ed Hochuli should meet for lunch tomorrow. Talk things over.

32. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Don't forget Terry Porter

33. PrepDogg

PrepDogg Rock hard....Ride Free

Apr 19, 2008
    Well at least he admitted he messed up. Gotta at least respect him for that

jetssuck and steveincolorado like this.
  34. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The problem is that it was so close - and 99% of the time the defense makes that play - you almost have to give some benefit of the doubt on that call.

Further, as Tim Kurkjian noted, umpires get that call right 100,000 out of 100,001 times. That is partly why it is so bad. If he can't get that call right - he's got some issues of his own as far as his capability and reliability.

Umpires are far worse these days than in the past and they are terrible relative to other officials. NBA officials aren't that bad, it's just that the style of play the NBA itself allows creates a situation where 50 fouls could be called on any given possession.

But, that bad call by the ump is as bad as any call can be. Inexcusable. It's not like it's a first inning or first quarter call. nor like a foul that is missed - in games in which there are hundreds of fouls missed. The fact that it's on the last play of the game is comparable to an obvious 3 pointer that wins the game at the buzzer and it's ruled a 2. What do they do? They look at the replay. Or, an overtime goal in hockey where the puck may or may not have crossed the line. What do they do? Replay.

Also, I have to say, if it's a playoff game, and the Dolphins throw a TD pass in the last second but the receiver is incorrectly ruled out of bounds when he wasn't - I doubt any fans would be saying, "Meh, no biggie, bad calls happen all the time." When we don't care about the situation, it's, "Oh, well, ho hum." It's like Ronald Reagan said, "A recession is when your neighbor loses a job; a depression is when you lose your job."

35. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Are you serious? You dont think that pitcher is pissed? He is just a classy guy and does not say anything. He has to be pissed, and rightfully so

36. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Are they really?

They've been all kinds of awful this year, and last October was some of the worst umpiring I've ever seen. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 4 calls that were completely blown, including this one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3akWln2Lsg"]YouTube- Tim McClelland Yankees vs Angels 2009[/ame]
    (The quality sucks and I have no idea what's going on with the music choice, but you get the point)

That's incompetence. And part of the problem is that there's no discipline system in place for the putrid performance of these select umpires. They are continually assigned to important series throughout the regular season and into October.

37. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Blame baseball.

It's 2010 and they don't have replay in this situation.

GridIronKing34 and MikeHoncho like this.
  38. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Oops.

Oh well..just pitch another Perfect game.

LOL

MikeHoncho likes this.
  39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    And if they did it would just slow down the game even more and people would complain about it.

Instead of using more replays why doesn't MLB just hire better umps, while firing the bad ones? The main problem is that the umps aren't held accountable for their poor play and they should be. MLB needs to crack down on the umps and weed out the bad ones. That's really the first step they should take before they consider expanding the replay system.

40. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    My co-workers and I are having pretty heated debate about this today. Obviously the Ump blew it big time. That's a given.

I told the guys that as bad as it sounds, after earning 9 innings and 2 outs perfectly... As a GM I would have told the next loser at bat to just hit a grounder and jog to the base... Preventing bull **** like what happened to happen. My buddy (Jets fan) argues that you have to play to win and that's just as bad as Brett Farve taking a dive for Strahan. I understand what he's getting at, but this is different. That poor dude was robbed of history. That crappy team was too sorry to get a hit... Much less catch up and win. They should have let him have it.

Not that it's the GMs fault, it's the Ump's. Just letting you know what we're fighting about at work.