1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

United States Men's National Team (soccer)

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Aqua4Ever04, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Write Travis Write Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I think we have enough soccer fans in here for this to warrant a thread. We have a MASSIVE match tonight in Columbus, OH against Guatemala who inexplicably dismantled us on Friday. A loss tonight could mean the end of the US's world cup hopes and would be the first time we've missed since I've been alive (last missed in 1986.)

Currently in the fourth round of CONCACAF qualifying. The top two teams of each group advance to the HEX which is a six team, round robin (home and away) style tournament that sees the top three teams automatically qualify for the World Cup and the fourth place team qualifying for a two leg playoff against the AFC's region's fifth place team. The winner of that playoff qualifies for the World Cup.

[table="width: 500"]
    [tr]
    [td]Team[/td]
    [td]Games Played[/td]
    [td]Wins[/td]
    [td]Draws[/td]
    [td]Losses[/td]
    [td]Goal Differential[/td]
    [td]Points[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Trinidad[/td]
    [td]4[/td]
    [td]3[/td]
    [td]1[/td]
    [td]0[/td]
    [td]+8[/td]
    [td]10[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]USA[/td]
    [td]4[/td]
    [td]2[/td]
    [td]1[/td]
    [td]1[/td]
    [td]+7[/td]
    [td]7[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Guatemala][/td]
    [td]4[/td]
    [td]2[/td]
    [td]0[/td]
    [td]2[/td]
    [td]+1[/td]
    [td]6[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Saint Vincent[/td]
    [td]4[/td]
    [td]0[/td]
    [td]0[/td]
    [td]4[/td]
    [td]-16[/td]
    [td]0[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Remaining Fixtures:

Tonight:

September 2:

United States @ St. Vincent
    Guatemala @ Trinidad

September 6:

Trinidad @ United States
    St. Vincent @ Guatemala

I think it's safe to say that St. Vincent will get 0 points from the group meaning the three others all get three more automatic points. That leaves us needing to gain at least two point on Guatemala or three points on T&T.

A win tonight and I think we're safe. A draw makes the game at home vs. Trinidad and Tobago a must win.

All of this aside, it's extremely alarming that we're having this much difficulty in the early qualifying rounds. Hell, even the HEX stage should be a walk in the park (as it was in 2014 qualifying - we took 22 points from a possible 30 and finished first in the group.) Even then, we lost in Jamaica and Panama which is quite ridiculous in and of itself.

I sure do wish we could get some more athletes in this country to play soccer.

Regardless, I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! Come on, lads!

2. King Felix

King Felix chasing the high Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I CanT FeeL MY FacE
    Klinnsman has got to go

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=- Club Member

Nov 13, 2009
    They're the Miami Dolphins of international soccer. So love-hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Write Travis Write Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Panic button was pressed and relieved. Should've had more goals, though, and never should've lost to Guatemala regardless of where the game was.

5. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They should have had more goals in both games. Last night there were at least two gimmes that they couldn't finish. The game before they had plenty of chances, and it seemed like they were deliberately shooting straight at the keeper. This team badly needs finishers.

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Sad to see the U23 team, in their Olympic qualifying draw, fail in their home game v Colombia after playing fairly well on the road last week.