1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Does The Sentinel

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Boomer, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Didn't see this here, posted it in the mains.......ooops.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    What happened to the 9th article?

3. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I think Dave got the weeks muddled. You didn't miss anything.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Interesting that they are cornerback shopping after using a #1 and a #3 and signing Will Allen to that large extension.

And does Dan Williams compare to Haloti Ngata?

5. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I think they're looking at bigger corners who can play safety. Plus nickel replacements.

No.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Odd things is, they are not currently looking at the players who figure to be late round prospects, so far, aside from Andrian Tracy they haven't been obviously looking for the 6th-7th rd types.

Junior Gallete and Dane Fletcher guys such as that, when you did the Write ups last yr Boom, do you recall whether or not they interviewed their later rd picks like Clemons and Gardner?

Okay.

7. bdhock

bdhock Old Bricklayer

Mar 12, 2010
    PA
    After reading this real good article by Boomer I starting to think that a true #1 receiver is not really that high on the front offices list. I think they are thinking more like the packers, giants and steelers. They have 2 or three good receivers but no one that is your prototype 6-3 ,220 pounds runs a 4.45. That said I do think we need one more good receiver to put with Bess and Hartline and then give them time to form some kind of chemistry with Henne

Boomer likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Steve Smith of the Giants is a #1 WR and I think they won a Super Bowl with Plaxico Burress who was definitely a #1. They just drafted Hakeem Nicks in the 1st round after drafting guys like Steve Smith and Mario Manningham in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They have a trio of very talented WRs. The Packers have a #1, his name is Greg Jennings. It's funny how things get twisted, because the Packers actually have three or four very good and very talented WRs and suddenly they're the model for why Miami doesn't need very good WRs. The Steelers? Same thing, they have two very good and very talented WRs, and they're held up as a model for why Miami doesn't need the same.

I don't get that. That makes no sense to me. If we're going to emulate the Packers, Giants and Steelers, it means we need to start spending resources on the WR position.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Actually both the Giants and Steelers won there SBs with big #1 WRs. If they are looking at those teams then a prototype #1 WR would be high on their list.

jim1 likes this.
  10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    It doesn't necessarily have to be a 6-3, 220 lb. 4.45 guy but yeah, we need (desperately imo) a #1, accountable, hopefully deep threat WR. Forget about Ginn- just my opinion. But the teams that you listed- all three of them have WR corps that are substantially better than ours. It's not even close. I don't think that any team in the league needs a #1 WR more than we do. The lot of them are average to below average, with the possible exception of Bess as a slot guy. A quick but slow slot guy at that. Some how, some way (ideally in a trade down) I want Arrelious Benn- nothing has changed there. Same for Sean Lee at LB.

And even though I'm not enamored with Brandon Lafell, I could see him in the 2nd rd. Still intrigued by Carlton Mitchell. Intrigued by the Fins interest in Mike Williams as well- same old story, though- dude put up 8 reps of 225- that's got to tell you something right there. He has got to be one lazy, immature mofo to be a relatively big dude and the weakest WR at the combine. I'm interested, but that does not bode well. Still like Briscoe, too.

11. bdhock

bdhock Old Bricklayer

Mar 12, 2010
    PA
    CK, I dont think I did a good job of trying to make my point. I do think we need more talent at WR . I just dont think it will be in the first round. Green Bay would be the model that would be most like what I mean. Jennings ,James Jones and Jordy Nelson were all 2nd and 3rd picks. I think we may take 2 receivers in rounds 2-7. I just cant see our front office spending a high #1 on a receiver. I believe they will do like last year draft a couple WR after the first round hoping one will develop. I do see what you are saying your post are always well thought out.