1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming Head Coaching vacancies

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, Nov 28, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thought it would be interesting to list where the upcoming coaching vacancies will be and which are the best jobs to have:

1. Cleveland
    2. Buffalo
    3. Washington
    4. Tampa Bay
    5. Chicago
    6. Houston
    7. Carolina
    8. Oakland

Using the Parcell's "you need a LT, Cb, Qb" formula here are the best jobs

1. Houston-underachieving Texans, they do have a talented roster
    2. Carolina John Fox's time is up but that is a talented roster
    3. Washington
    4. Chicago Cutler
    5. Tampa Bay
    6. Buffalo
    7. Cleveland
    8. Oakland

I'd also say the Tampa job is a "maybe", Chicago is a case of they paid so much for Cutler that they cannot fire him, so they have to fire the coach.

Washington would be the #2 job "if" Snyder would not meddle with the team, they have a good Defense at least, probably the best D of the 8 team pack.

Buffalo is not devoid of talent, however the ownership and small market makes it tough to retain good players.

Cleveland and Oakland, the Raiders are a grease fire of a job that no respectable coach would want, Cleveland imho has cultural issues, Mangini was correct in taking a broom to the roster, however he also discovered what Belichek did, too many outside voices have influence on team decisions.

A guy who should be on that list is Jim Mora jr but I've heard no rumblings that he may be shown the door, and Tom Coughlin's squad has underachived for the last two seasons but they rarely fire Head Coaches in the Giants organization.

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO that formula has changed to You need a LT, QB and a S.

I'm not sure if the Houston/ Carolina jobs will be available but if they are I agree that they're the best jobs.

Although I could see the Dallas job opening up and then that would be #1.

Oakland is the worst job and then I have Cleveland and Buffalo tied for next worst.

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Mangini should have been fired last week.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Tampa Bay won't have a vacant head coaching spot. Not sure if Chicago will.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They will, 1-15 is just not salvagable Alen, recall Wayne H paid 27 million to get rid of Cameron and Capers basically because "1-15 has to mean something".

Morris fired his OffCoordinator, and basically fired DefCord Jim Bates just last week.

They re-upped the Qb coach "but" they are normally a dime o dozen, a new hire could decide to keep him or be told he comes with the job, either way though..

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It's already been reported that Raheem Morris will not be gone at the end of the season. He has a job with Tampa Bay and they are sticking with him. They believe in him and expected to be a poor football team this year because they stated they were in a rebuilding mode.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see, Gruden was fired for 9-7, 1-15 doesn't merit a vote of confidence, and the GM botched a FA situation badly were a kicker took him to the cleaners.

8. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I think the guys in Tampa and Cleveland are safe for 2010. If the Browns fire their coach, they still have to pay him his remaining 12mil + whatevers left on Romo's contract before him.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Holmgren will end up with a Parcell's like position in Cleveland and it's a good bet that he will sweep the decks ala the Tuna Ireland and Sparano.

I'm not 100% that Morris will be fired, I do know it is incredibly rare that a 1-15 coach is retained.

10. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Can Cleveland afford to pay 2 guys a lot of money to go away? The more I think about Tampa, he could go.

I think Houston, Oakland and Washington for sure. Carolina?? Chicago I think is safe because I think they will give him a year to get Cutler some help. Green Bay may dump their coach.

11. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Cleveland I wont be surprised. They expected to be bad, but not THIS bad. Itll be tough to pay for 2 coaches on the outs though.

But it would be interesting to have a Holmgren come in, settle down the QB spot as well as RB/WR, get some defensive assets and groom an assistant (or even do a Parcells consultant job). Basically just sacrifice the "Mangenius."

Dallas may become available if they fail to win a playoff game, BUT only to a Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden type established coach. I dont think they are so high on Garrett anymore, and I dont think they go with a rookie either.

The Texans will be a nice job for anyone if Kubiak fails to improve on 8-8, and if Carolina cant at least make 8-8 they will open as well. Fox I think has never had back to back winning seasons.