1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update from my face redness thread

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Rocky Raccoon, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I didn't want to post it in the other thread because people may not know I still needed help, my apologies if this is a problem.

Anyway, went to a dermatologist and it's not rosacea, but like a rashy redness most likely from shaving. He wanted me to trial different shaving creams and blades but I don't have the patience or money for that, so maybe someone can help me out. I have very sensitive skin so I use sensitive blades from either Gillette or Schick, and usually regular shaving gel. My problem is likely to be that I'm allergic to something in the products, but I don't know what. Would it be better to start using an electric razor? Maybe foam cream instead of gel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :up:

2. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    I use Mach 3 with SOAP!
    i never use shaving gel or foam. No problems for me but i shave once a week :D

3. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Had a soldier in Iraq that had this same problem, I suggested the try this even though he use razors lectricshave in about a week, he showed a 50% improvement, with in a month, it was gone. Good luck.

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I switched from using Gels/Cream to using Shaving Soap...like the kind that comes with the cool Brush. Love the swith myself

PS: You can find these as a set at Walgreens and such for pretty darn cheap, especially near the holidays. I think a soap refil is about 4 bucks and usually lasts about 6-8 months

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Well if it isnt rosacea, then you are probably correct in assuming it is an allergic reaction to something in a shaving cream, or you just have sensitive skin. I have found that using an electric razor, with some kind of lectric shave pre-shave lotion works well. The only problem is a shave that probably isnt as close/smooth as using an actual bladed razor would be. Personally, I use an electric razor almost all the time, unless I'm going somewhere "special", for example, a wedding.

If I ever don't use my electric razor, ill use a gillette mach 3, and I'll shave, usually in the shower, with either soap, or a sensitive skin shaving cream. If you think its the creams giving you the reaction, then try soap. it may help you.

Sometimes, also what I do is shave prior to having a shower in the morning, then while in the shower I will use soap or cream to shave again with a regular razor. Only because I find electric razors sometimes don't always provide a close enough shave.

Also, I've heard that after shaving, its a good idea to splash/rub cold water over your face, not only does it soothe the "burning", but it apparently helps close/tighten the skin cells which helps with the redness apparently.

Also, have you tried using aftershave? Maybe it may help you..

Hope this helps. :up:

6. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'd try an electric shaver. I use Norelco shaving face powder before I use an electric shaver (I'm pretty sure it's Norelco, and you can get it at Wal Mart).