1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on Deebo

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Apr 26, 2022.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I actually ran into him the other day since he grew up here and he's my kids age. He told us that he's done w/ San Fran and demanded a trade, and when the GM said no he cussed him out something fierce. I asked him if he'd join his coach in Miami and his reply was, "Yeah, if they could work something out."

His real vibe was anywhere but San Fran, but he also was optimistic about what we're doing down there and how the team is trending upward. He also said we got a really good, really smart head coach that is great to his players. So I thought that was cool enough to share- not often you get to talk to a superstar player and he endorses your team.

Maybe it all blows over and he returns, but for now he's dead set on not going back there. He feels completely disrespected that they'd pay another WR and it felt like he's really thought this through. I also talked to a few of his high school teammates that my family knows and they all said there's like a zero percent chance he returns- it sounds like he really showed his (you know what) in the GM's office and made his feelings very clear.

Anyway, don't expect it to happen for us....but could you imagine Deebo, Tyreek, and Waddle? I put the thought in his head anyway. These are my words paraphrasing, so hopefully none of you media types quote me on it, LOL.

Phin McCool, Irishman, Kud_II and 2 others like this.
  2. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    It would be awesome but we'd wind up spending way too great a percentage of our cap space on WRs. Especially when we extend Waddle.

Irishman, dolphin25 and KeyFin like this.
  3. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Yeah, at some point it becomes a cost-benefit exercise. There's only one ball to go around, so how much would he add? I'd love to have him, but he's going to get a new contract after he's traded, and paying $60+ million to two guys in the same position group would thin out some other part of the roster. Rumors are he doesn't want to play a dual role and that kind of negates his value. It'll be interesting if he plays in San Francisco to start the season because I think Shanahan will not hesitate to put him in the backfield.

Irishman and KeyFin like this.
  4. Wilkimania

Wilkimania Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I can't remember how long we signed Tyreek to, but could we move on from him in 3 years when it's time to pay Waddle?

Not even Deebo related, just thinking ahead slightly.

Irishman and KeyFin like this.
  5. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I pray to God that the Jets overpay for him in the trade and then the contract, don't get me wrong, Deebo is a talented football player but he also might have benefited greatly from our now HC and the Niners offense. Go for it Jets!!

6. plc001

plc001 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Yeah, I heard some talking heads discussing Deebo's desire to get paid now. They stated his versatility is really his strength and that as a WR alone he isn't worth top tier money. But because of his use at RB it's likely to shorten his career and that has set his urgent tone towards getting paid sooner rather then later. They didn't seem to think he was worth anywhere near tyreek or adams as a WR.

My thoughts, the 49ers designed their plays around deebo. You better have a creative staff and willing to do the same if you pay top tier for him. I wish deebo the best and I'm interested to see how this ends.

KeyFin and dolphin25 like this.
  7. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I agree about the coaching and having just 1 year of that kind of play makes it pretty tough to pay him top money but he did have 1400 yards as a WR so he was great beyond the RB usage.

8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    For me, what he adds is one on one coverage for somebody that shouldn't ever be 1:1. Maybe it's him, or maybe Waddle or Tyreek, but we'd have that huge EXPLOIT button to press whenever we wanted to. We do have that with two players though so I get your point as well- it's overkill.

But man, it would be fun to have the most explosive offense in football! Maybe we already do though.

9. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    It'd be more exciting in anticipation than in practicality. Every other week, one player or the other would blow up by exploiting matchups. We'd either have three guys catching 3-5 balls for 50-70 yards or one going off for 8 catches and 150 yards, while the other two have mundane outings from a handful of targets. We wouldn't see three hundred-yard guys every week.

In the end, even with a very successful season, we'd probably have two with a thousand yards and questions about why the other only got 700 or so. If that guy is Deebo or Hill, would it be worth it to pay him $28 million or deal with how unhappy he is for his lack of attention in the offense?

Nah, sounds fun, but I going to pass on the speculation.

KeyFin and Phil Hutchings like this.
  10. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Wait, there's one other benefit- duh. My kids and my brother know Deebo, they hang out with the same friends. So if Miami were to sign him, I'd get all the juicy dirt on everybody on the team (which means you get the dirt too...)!

Phil Hutchings, Pauly and OwesOwn614 like this.
  11. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Ok but WHY is he done with San Fran? That seems to be the biggest question.

Regardless, SF looks like they are gonna play hardball, and are likely to ask for an even greater package than the Packers got for Adams or we gave up for Hill. The idea that we would use, what, five first round picks on WRs in a two year span is nuts. Plus, if I were San Fran, I'd make Waddle a non-negotiable part of the deal.

This is a team that was in the NFC championship game, in a conference that just looks to have gotten a fair bit weaker. No way am I letting my gamebreaking talent walk for anything less than a king's ransom, Tunsil style.

12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    They brought in a free agent receiver and paid him, plus several others with less productivity cashed in this off-season. In short, he feels disrespected and unappreciated after the GM blew him off.

13. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Inside information? Is it bad that after reading your post, my mind went immediately into Fred Flintstone mode?

KeyFin likes this.
  14. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The guy has had one healthy season. Whoever overpays is gambling big. I like him and hes a big time playmaker.. but we already have two of him on our team.. our receiving corps is loaded as is..

i think he ends up in green bay

KeyFin likes this.
  15. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    This is a cool story, and hell yeah...It'd be awesome to have him here in Miami. I've always liked Samuel and he finally broke through last year. Was one of the best in the game last year with Jimmy G as his QB. Whoever trades for him will get a very good player and if the QB position is stable it could be even scarier. It'd be cool to see Denver or Green Bay swoop in and trade for him.

KeyFin likes this.