1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on my adopted brother

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by KeyFin, Mar 24, 2019.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Just realized that I hadn't posted anything since I picked my brother up from jail last month in Gainesville. So we drove down a day early and got a condo in Daytona, spent the day wandering around and stocking up on groceries. I grabbed Greg the next night around 12:30 AM and his adopted mom/brother were there. I told them I wasn't sure if Greg would even get in the car with us...it all depended on him and if he was really ready to turn his life around. He said he was, so we headed back to Daytona. Nothing was open so he grabbed some snacks at a gas station....I don't think he ever stopped eating that night. He didn't sleep either and ended up on the beach at sunrise.

We then spent two nights in Daytona just to see how it would go. Greg has Terret's and he shakes a lot, almost like someone with Parkinson's disease. His hands are always slightly trembling, but otherwise he seems super healthy (he doesn't say random words or anything like that). We got to the Carolinas on Thursday and he had a job as a night manager at Cook Out by Friday. It took a lot of running around since we had to get him a Florida ID, birth certificate, etc. to even be eligible to work, plus we had to get him some clothes, basic toiletries, etc. But he's been grinding ever since working 12+ hour shifts and volunteering to work on his days off. He hasn't touched weed since getting here either so things have gone incredibly well.

The only hiccup we've had is getting him a license...in Florida, they suspend your license for owing fines and jails charge you $3 a day for being there. So he has to come up with about $900 to get around that...which he's saving for now. And he's slowly paying me back $100-150 a week for everything we've done for him. He's super happy up here though and doing great. Things honestly couldn't have turned out better.

Anyway, things are going really well....shockingly well actually. There's no plans for him to move out anytime soon, but once we get him on the road and he can buy a car, that will eventually be the next goal. We're thinking about driving to Jacksonville in two weeks, paying the fines, getting a FL license and then driving right back to transfer it to a SC license...then if other fees pop up in Florida it doesn't matter. That will be huge since he works until 4 or 5 in the morning....my wife and I have been taking turns picking him up. It sucks but it's well worth it to see him thrive.

2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Awesome stuff dude!!

KeyFin likes this.
  3. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    You are a good man Key. World needs more like you.

Zippy, Rocky Raccoon and KeyFin like this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I appreciate that, but we have to do what we can to help those around us. It was a crazy situation since I didn't even know he existed until six months ago, but my wife and I decided that if things went bad, we'd just ship him back to Gainesville on a bus. He's been absolutely awesome though- from cleaning up after our puppy to cooking breakfasts on his rare days off. He's just super appreciative to be able to get away from everything and start over- I think crime rates would plummet if more people had a support system to have an actual chance in life after getting in trouble.

LOL, he picked up shifts on both his days off last week and worked 73 hours total, plus 12 hours shifts yesterday/today on a new week. He said he'd work every chance he got but I'm guessing he takes his days off this week...he's freaking exhausted but he's still really happy just to have the opportunity. The GM of the restaurant thinks he's secretly a robot since he never stops, but there's no way he can keep that pace. I admire him for it though....running a busy kitchen is no joke.

By the way, I filed a complaint today with the Department of Justice...I really think the way Florida treats inmates is unconstitutional. The hit them with $3/day fines plus court costs, trial costs, restitution, etc. and then they pay even more if they're out on parole/probation (Greg is not). And while you owe all this money, your license is automatically suspended....meaning it's almost impossible to hold a steady job. Most guys getting out of jail don't have a place to live, no way to feed themselves, etc. and then we wonder why they go back to crime. Greg lived homeless on the streets for five weeks to try to avoid getting back into selling weed, but eventually gave in and shoplifted in front of a cop to go to the county jail (where he has food, a cot, etc.). It's really freaking messed up when jail is your best option to survive.

Now Florida is passing a new law that convicts can vote again if they pay full trial costs for the prosecution...who the heck can afford that if they don't go back to being a criminal? So like I said, I filed a complaint with the DOJ that the current laws are discrimination since no other civil FL fine revokes your driver's license. It's essentially a convict tax and I think it's unconstitutional since people are being punished twice for one crime. Nothing will probably come of it but who knows...I gave it a shot anyway.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Glad to see a positive update, Key. Hoping he stays on his current path as his redemption story is inspiring. As Puka said, you are a good man!

KeyFin likes this.