1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updated Mock Draft 3/23/09

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Conuficus, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
  2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    if Malcolm gets to get 25, im going to **** a brick. it definitely seems like more and more that a very good prospect is going to drop to 25, i hope we dont trade down from there.

Conuficus likes this.
  3. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Wouldn't mind seeing Jenkins in a Dolphins Uni. But that's quite a jump for Stafford (and fall for Sanchez) from the last time I read your Mock. :lol:

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I like it. A lot. Great work as usual.

My favorite choice has to be the Orakpo over Curry one. Why? Simply because while I think Curry is going to be a very good player in this league, I don't know if he will be the force off the edge that Brian Orakpo would be as a 3-4 weak side rusher or 4-3 defensive end. I like Curry a lot but Kansas City needs pass rush and needs it pretty dam bad. I believe they set the record or tied it for the least amount of sacks accumulated over a sixteen game regular season. Orakpo would change that because he does a very good job of getting to the QB. He's got a good first step, tremendous bulrush, can get under the tackles pads and closes on the QB well. I also think that while one of his flaws is that he sets the edge pretty poorly, he will benefit from playing stand-up rusher. One thing that I noticed was that when he had his hand in the dirt, he did a poor job of reading the play; often he would rush wide and leave a gaping hole for the opposition to run through. With him standing-up, which he did in the bowl game, he does a good job of diagnosing the play and actually getting to the ball carrier for the stop. When he played standing-up, the rush defense benefited and it was clear because Chris Wells didn't have large gains. I still worry about Orakpo's motor when the play is away from him but you can't be perfect.

Malcolm Jenkins I like but I wonder if he fits well. I could be wrong here so please correct me if I am but in a 3-4, teams often use both man and zone coverages. In zone coverage, I think Jenkins excels. I also think he's a good player in run support and you have to like that he's dangerous after the catch, he has taken part on special teams and he's a team leader. He's personally not my favorite cornerback in this class but I like him.

Conuficus likes this.
  5. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Yeah. I admit that Sanchez is probably more my cup of tea than Stafford, so maybe that pushed it. I still don't like Stafford and think he will struggle with the intermediate stuff due to his slightly enlongated release. He aslo has a hitch to start his throwing motion. It is odd, and I wonder if under pressure that will affect his ability to be accurate if he can't do it like he wants.

But, Sanchez, has only one year so i have to put him down, and he may not throw the deep ball as well as Stafford. The Bucs like Freeman, so what can you do but put him there?

6. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks alen, I need to come back to this in a minute. :lol: Have my daughter today. No time left now.................:no:

alen1 likes this.
  7. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    True. I wasn't very impressed with Sanchez even in his one year. There were times he just looked awful in decision making, things that really could've used more polishing. Stafford still has the upside and experience so I guess it'd sound natural for him to be considered a bit more. Raheem Morris has a connection with Freeman from their KSU days so I agree it's almost a no-brainer there. Good mock though. Not a lot I can nitpick about even though it is a bit amusing to see Stafford and Sanchez see-saw like that. :up:

azfinfanmang and Conuficus like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Great info Conman, this draft really has the potential to be all over the place in terms of who selects what at what slot..Players like, Orakpo, Maybin and E brown over players like Cushing, Tyson Jackson and rey mualuaga seem totally unbalanced to a degree.

I could see Tyson jackson goes as early as top 10 just as easy as i could see maybin drop out of the top 20....should be fun to watch go down.

Conuficus likes this.
  9. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That's a real good mock. I think things could change a little due to the Jay Cutler situation. I think the Jets and some other team will get involved in a 3-way deal which would send Cutler to the Jets. Then some other team, maybe Cleveland, would send Anderson or Quinn to the Broncos, and the Jets will give something to the Browns....just a hunch I have. That could affect quite a few QB's who may or may not be drafted in the first round.

10. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Orakpo stands out to me as well. But the picks I like the most in terms of slotting them on the board were Michael Oher and Clay Matthews. If you put a kid like Matthews on a talent laden team, he will excel at being that "trash" guy who does all the little things well enough, but never enough to stand out. But back to Orakpo, he could be a good player with what he has in front of him. Now, that is provided that Glenn Dorsey remembers that he can get his hands inside of his opponent's. If he does, Orakpo could have 8-10 sacks. If he cannot, Orakpo will struggle to pick up the slack, especially in the run game. Dorsey probably can play RDE. Tamba Hali can play a role much like Kendal Langford does here. Vrabel can hold the fort until they get a guy to handle his side. The other big thing will be them getting a guy for the middle. You watch, there's gonna be a run on ILB's in the 2nd-3rd round,as 3-4 teams snatch up players way before they should due to scarcity.

Oher could be a steal for the 49ers at #10, if that's possible. They need help along the offensive line and he adds just that. It would also kick Staley back to the right side, which is where they are rumored to want him full time.

11. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Yeah Cutler will affect this, but where do I put him going? Half the dam has inquired about him from reports.

When it happens it will change the dynamics of some picks, but others will stay the same I think. To be honest, don't overlook San Francisco as a player. They have toyed with Kurt Warner and Cutler has some similarities in his game, although still a bit wild.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Great Draft Conu, my only quibble would be Cleveland going Wr with Mangini on board, and the Redskins passing on a Tackle.

Other then that?

Top Notch.:up:

Conuficus likes this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agree with you on Matthews. He's a guy that I personally like and find talented but the issues with him not starting his whole collegiate career as well as his stock going up from a late round selection to a first rounder dampens that a bit.

Agree with you for the most part. I wonder if Tali could play weakside for them or at least rotate with Vrabel. I think Orakpo could handle the strong side because of his strength and as I noted earlier, his ability to better read and react when standing up.

I concur on the run on ILB's and I think we may see guys go earlier than some expect. Guys like Frantz Joseph, whom I personally think is a good player. Darry Beckwith is another guy that will likely go higher than some people think IMO. The issue that I have with this ILB class is that I find it a bit weak.

EDIT: Just realized you said the same thing at the end of the statement, lol.

Good point. While I think the Wonderlic test is not as big as others make it out to be, it had to lesser the concerns of his learning disability a notch. In my opinion, the learning disability concern is slowly fading away if you look at his history. He had a .06 GPA through his first two years of high school and managed to bring it up to 1.6 in his final two years through five hour studies, six days a week. The GPA may not seem high but its tough to bring it up. And then I believe he got Honor Roll at Ole Miss. Back to the original statement, I think that would be a good selection. He's got good potential.

14. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    But it is a seller's market right now. Teams don't have a great deal of options and if one or two teams take an ILB, the pool gets less and then anyone else who still needs may draft on that scarce resource belief. We'll see.

Orakpo could play both. Remember though that Dorsey had issues collapsing the pocket and it may help to be on a LT, who's strength may be less than a RT, or G. Hali has always played string side, so he should be alright. And he's listed at 275 lbs so it isn't a great deal to add 10 lbs or so to his frame at 6'3''.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=7769

alen1 likes this.
  15. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Actually, I had Oher there, but figured the 49ers snag him. If he gets past San Fran, Washington should take him. Britton may get drafted that high, but I think Chicago taking him may be his ceiling, kind of like Cherilus last year.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

True, it is a sellers market. However, I don't see teams taking guys who don't necessarily fit into their scheme or their prototype at the position. One thing that we could see is teams take a guy and try to mold him into what they want at the ILB spot, however I think that will largely depend on what they see on tape of him in regards to taking on blocks, trash at his feet, etc.

Oh, wow. I wasn't aware of Hali's weight being that high.

17. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Malcolm Jenkins would be an outstanding pick if he fell to 25.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I saw that Alen and did not know where it would fit as a thread.

Glen Dorsey is NOT and 3-4 NT, the poor guy is being misused but last year everyone could see that he was neither fish nor fowl, not quite a DE, not quite a NT and not really a DT.

20. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Would love to see Jenkins, but never really considered it - since he is projected to be long gone ... which is why i've stuck mostly with Butler and Smith at 25.

Agree on the ILBs ... seems to be a shallow pool - so unless we move up, we might not pick one. Maybe we end up moving an OLB to the inside.

21. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks alen. I tell you what, unless Dorsey remembers how to get his hnds inside he's in trouble at the nose. Can he be quick? Sure, will he handle the double? Not the way he used his hands last year.

He was awful at allowing O-linemen to his pads last year.

alen1 likes this.