1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upside, Downside, Most likely-Defense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pandarilla, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Pretty good read as we head down the stretch:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/7/25/1586447/upside-downside-most-likely

For the most part, more enthusiasm then consternation...

2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

First, Phinsider is a fan forum site, meaning these opinions are about what we have seen here on different threads...

Can't argue with first quote, but the second, is very subjective...Nolan has been up and down with his defensive stats thruout his career. Usually he does well in his first season after taking over...I think he will be a big difference here. We really have slipped defensively since Capers left and Nolan just might be just what we need...

As to the third quote, with the Porter and JT thing....that's way off base, IMO.... Porter has seen his best days and had developed into a serious cancer. Something that Parcells just won't have any of. He absolutely had to go. JT, while having a decent year last year, was no where near the JT of a couple of years ago...It was time for him to go, despite the fact that we are now faced with a couple of questions at OLB with Misi and Wake. I have no issues with them not re-signing JT at this point. Think of it this way...given JT's age, last season is the absolute BEST we can expect from him and it wasn't really good enough. Is that what we want ?? I don't think so and releasing him was the right thing to do...

As to the last quote...it's as simple as the DL pressure. If that is adequate or even better than that, we'll have a pretty good D, despite the youngsters a LBer and DB. If Nolan can create that pressure, our DBs won't have the added pressure. It's been an issue for several seasons (lack of consistent pressure) and it's affected our DB play.

3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Not much there that hasn't been thoroughly discussed on this site. Agree though the most exciting pickup to me this off season was Mike Nolan, can't wait to see what he can do with this group of players.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Upside: Coach Nolan
    Downside: FreeSafety
    the rest is relative defensive parity
    what we really need is a little luck
    & a lot of good work & bad intention
    throughout the up-coming season

5. Larryfinfan

23rd, so you are hinting that you're concerned about our young FS ?? Why don't you tell us how you really feel ??

Just kidding...but you really are harping on the FS spot of late. I agree that there are concerns there, but there's more to the big picture than just the FS. Look, even Clemons has to be better than Wilson was last season...heck, you or I could have been better....(well, maybe you could have), but I don't think it's quite as dire as you make it sound. If Clemons looks to be a problem at FS, they can cover much of that up with various coverage techniques, something that Nolan is adept at, where as Pasqueloni couldn't seem to master...

Sorry, didn't finish....Where they can't cover up lack of pressure from the DL or lack of coverage ability from the LBers...

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend Larryfinfan:

the FreeSafety is a serious concern

when you couple the inexperience
    @ the key to the defensive backfield
    w/ more inexperience @ both projected corners
    you have a problem of NFL proportion
    & something worthy of consider
    on every level, including the Forum we post

it is what it is
    FreeSafety is our Achilles Heel
    going into the 2010 season
    the good thing
    is Coach Nolan is our Achilles

& Achilles (Coach Nolan) has to resolve this problem to distance our-self from our play-off bound rivals in 2010
    :up:

7. Larryfinfan

Well, both our projected starters at CB have at least a year of starting experience and don't forget about Will Allen. He's been nothing if he hasn't been very consistent as a CB for us, and probably even better than consistent. These are youngsters (Davis and Smith) but very talented youngsters, coupled with the wily veteran in Allen and we look pretty good at those positions...

Yeramiah will man the SS spot as he has for the last several years. Again, another good veteran to control things in the secondary. Then we have the FS spot. Clemons is the guy slated at this point. Culver is a journeyman who could step in if the young guy goes awry, but certainly not exactly a confidence builder there either (Culver). The staff must have enough confidence in Clemons to do the job as they never really 'pursued' any viable FA's, including some pretty decent names (Rolle, Atogwe, Clark, Sharper, etc). What exactly does that tell us ?? I think it tells us we might have a diamond in the rough here with Clemons. If this team is as close as some of us think, and as close as this regime thinks, I doubt they would leave one important cog unresolved and 'hoping' for the best with Clemons/Culver/Jones ?? Just doesn't sound like a Parcells led team....

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think the Allens may play a big part in the development & stability of the defensive backfield.

Jason should get @ shot a FreeSafety. he has all the tools & experience & his stock/game has risen over the last few seasons.

Will Allen should figure prominently in the CornerBack rotation. :up: