Urgent Prayer Request-Great News!

44 replies

The RevThe RevAdministratorOP
Aug 29, 2009, 12:20 AM

Friends,

My mother was in a horrific and violent car accident today in which she was T-boned and had her SUV flip over numerous times. She was airlifted to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital where she is in critical but stable condition. She has two fractured vertebras where one of them (L1) is so swollen that they cannot determine the extent of the damage. Paralysis is a concern for us right now.The doctors are hoping the swelling goes down enough to know how bad the damage is.

Please pray for us. By the grace of God, I am sitting here and holding it together. I came home to sleep for a few hours and will go back tomorrow.

I have Marty's cell (I think) so I will call if I get a chance and update. Please tell Keith. We could sure use some of his prayers,now.

Thanks,
Raul

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2009, 12:29 AM

i dont pray often rev.....but this instance....you have got it.....i pray to god your mother gets out of this......may the light shine down on your family.......you have my thoughts buddy. be strong.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2009, 01:46 AM

Sorry bro. I really hope she will be o.k.

The RevThe RevAdministrator
Aug 29, 2009, 07:31 AM

She was transported to Neuro-ICU and at least the stiff, orange, board which she was transported is off. Neck brace is still on. Waiting to see if a doc shows up. No change since last night. Visiting hours are at 9:30.

cnc66cnc66Luxury Box
Aug 29, 2009, 07:38 AM

peace brother, you've got my number.. anytime.

Aug 29, 2009, 09:29 AM

I've posted my number in the Luxury Box thread. Please call anytime. Know that your Mom and your whole family are in my prayers!

OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.

dolphindebbydolphindebbyLuxury Box
Aug 29, 2009, 09:30 AM

I am so sorry to hear this Rev.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom.
May God bless and keep all of you.

Aug 29, 2009, 11:24 AM

Just got off the phone with Raul my friends and he asked me to post an update from our conversation.

The situation is very grave. While the injuries do not at this time appear life threatening, the doctors are telling the family that the injuries around vertebrate T6 (a little above the small of your back) are so severe that paralysis is very likely. It would affect walking, bladder function and all the rest of the lower bodily areas. Her name is Mercedes but the family calls her Mercy. I believe Raul said she is 76 (it was middle 70's if I'm off a year or so) and unfortunately has never worn a seatbelt.

She was t-boned into, of all things, the parking lot of a hospital. She was treated by their trauma team immediately and then sent to Jackson where the Miami Project for paralysis (formerly known as the Buoniconti project) is located. I told Raul that Mercy is in the best spot on the planet for her kind of injury.

It will take a few days for the swelling to go down and she is getting good care. Raul and his twin sister have gotten a chane to speak to Mercy briefly.

They need your prayers and best wishes desperately. The shock and numbness are terrible. He appreciates the good wishes and support of his friends here.

OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.

sking29sking29Forum Veteran
Aug 29, 2009, 09:06 PM

That is terrible news to hear especially with the update.

I can't imagine what you are going through Raul and I am sending you all my best wishes and hopes. Just know that sometimes even when things seem the worst they can work out. Just keep up your spirits and its amazing what the love, support, prayers, and best wishes of family and friends can do. I truly hope everything works out.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." --Albert Einstein

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Aug 29, 2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the update Keith. Continued thoughts and prayers for Raul's mom and her family.


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

MiamianMiamianNew Member
Aug 30, 2009, 09:07 AM

Someone please give me the info I need, i.e., her's and her mother's first and middle names.

ירושלים, בירת עמי

Aug 30, 2009, 09:39 AM

"Miamian wrote:

Someone please give me the info I need, i.e., her's and her mother's first and middle names.

I spoke with Raul last evening and thought about that but in the press of things forgot to ask. It is on my list to ask when next we speak. His Mom's first name is Mercedes but the family knows her as Mercy.

OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Aug 30, 2009, 10:55 AM

thoughts and prayers for you rev. im so sorry this happened bro. keep your head up bro.

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

The RevThe RevAdministrator
Aug 30, 2009, 11:10 AM

"Miamian wrote:

Someone please give me the info I need, i.e., her's and her mother's first and middle names.

Her name is Mercedes but she does not have a middle name.

My name is Raul as is my father. My sister is Maria.

________________________________________________________

My family would like to thank you for your concern, thought, and prayers. They are being felt and are sincerely appreciated.

As of now, we are considering surgery for her L-1 vertebrae to relieve pressure so that she may retain use of her bodily functions. This a least would help her to retain some dignity.

I'm okay for the most part. If anyone has ever read the book The Shack by William Paul Young, the main character talks about a "Great Sadness." That is what we have right now.

I'm still around lurking. it helps to ease my mind.

MiamianMiamianNew Member
Aug 30, 2009, 11:17 AM

What I need is your mother's mother's (your maternal grandmother's) name. Jews pray for the sick as son/daughter of mother.

ירושלים, בירת עמי

The RevThe RevAdministrator
Aug 30, 2009, 11:23 AM

"Miamian wrote:

What I need is your mother's mother's (your maternal grandmother's) name. Jews pray for the sick as son/daughter of mother.

Dolores

BumrushBumrushSupporter
Aug 30, 2009, 12:13 PM

I'm very sorry about what has happened and send prayers. My sister is very active in the community and is advocate for the disabled. She has worked closely with the Miami Project and also has some contacts with stem cell researchers.. The important thing right now is to get as much information as possible. I know there have been recent advances to people that were injured that have to be acted on within the first 48 hours after the accident. PM me or let me know if you need some guidance on this, I can have my sister look in to it for you.

Aug 31, 2009, 02:42 PM

Spoke with Raul at lunchtime. They have been told that Mercy has fractures throughout her vertabrate in a run from L1 though T6. The damage to L1 is extensive. The doctors are deciding whether her health (age and diabetes) allows her to be a candidate for stabilizing surgery.

The family appreciates your prayers and good wishes and asks they be continued.

OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Aug 31, 2009, 03:08 PM

Just saw this Rev, all my thoughts and prayers in this time of need.

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Aug 31, 2009, 03:14 PM

just checking in....hoping your today is better then your yesterday rev.

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

dolphindebbydolphindebbyLuxury Box
Aug 31, 2009, 03:29 PM

I'm still praying for you and your family..
Keep holding on.

Sep 2, 2009, 01:05 PM

Spoke again with Raul today. The situation has taken a turn for the worse. Mercy's oxygenation is not high enough and they are having problems getting it up. Her back causes her to have to lay flat while for the sake of her breathing she needs to be more elevated. The catch-22 has serious medical implications.

The doctors have spoken to Raul about intibation. Now he has to talk to Mercy and the discussions of how to answer her questions and what to do with her answers are heart rending.

He continues to thank y'all for the prayers you have offered and asks they be continued, please!

OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.

dolphindebbydolphindebbyLuxury Box
Sep 2, 2009, 05:37 PM

"Ohiophinphan wrote:

Spoke again with Raul today. The situation has taken a turn for the worse. Mercy's oxygenation is not high enough and they are having problems getting it up. Her back causes her to have to lay flat while for the sake of her breathing she needs to be more elevated. The catch-22 has serious medical implications.

The doctors have spoken to Raul about intibation. Now he has to talk to Mercy and the discussions of how to answer her questions and what to do with her answers are heart rending.

He continues to thank y'all for the prayers you have offered and asks they be continued, please!

Always. My prayers continue.
My heart goes out to him and his family.

Sep 5, 2009, 12:12 PM

Just got off the phone with Raul again. Mom is resting more comfortably. They did not have to intibate her, yet. Instead they put in chest tubes on either side and withdrew large quantities of fluid that was building up due to injuries from the crash and that was what was constricting her breathing.

Raul says no doctor has mentioned "vertabrate" in a week now as they try and deal with the injuries to the chest, et. al. Once the other injuries have been dealt with they can get further into the spinal issues.

Raul is very tired. Family struggles and issues are always magnified at times like this and his fatigue, both physical and mental, is really catching up with him.

He greatly appreciates the prayers, notes, etc he has recived and continues to hope you will send your prayers.

OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.

dolphindebbydolphindebbyLuxury Box
Sep 5, 2009, 01:15 PM

"Ohiophinphan wrote:

Just got off the phone with Raul again. Mom is resting more comfortably. They did not have to intibate her, yet. Instead they put in chest tubes on either side and withdrew large quantities of fluid that was building up due to injuries from the crash and that was what was constricting her breathing.

Raul says no doctor has mentioned "vertabrate" in a week now as they try and deal with the injuries to the chest, et. al. Once the other injuries have been dealt with they can get further into the spinal issues.

Raul is very tired. Family struggles and issues are always magnified at times like this and his fatigue, both physical and mental, is really catching up with him.

He greatly appreciates the prayers, notes, etc he has recived and continues to hope you will send your prayers.

Please tell Raul I constantly have them in my prayers. And give him my love Pastor.