1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent Prayer Request-Great News!

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by The Rev, Aug 29, 2009.

1. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Friends,

My mother was in a horrific and violent car accident today in which she was T-boned and had her SUV flip over numerous times. She was airlifted to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital where she is in critical but stable condition. She has two fractured vertebras where one of them (L1) is so swollen that they cannot determine the extent of the damage. Paralysis is a concern for us right now.The doctors are hoping the swelling goes down enough to know how bad the damage is.

Please pray for us. By the grace of God, I am sitting here and holding it together. I came home to sleep for a few hours and will go back tomorrow.

I have Marty's cell (I think) so I will call if I get a chance and update. Please tell Keith. We could sure use some of his prayers,now.

Thanks,
    Raul

Jeffrey, gafinfan, my 2 cents and 9 others like this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i dont pray often rev.....but this instance....you have got it.....i pray to god your mother gets out of this......may the light shine down on your family.......you have my thoughts buddy. be strong.

3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Sorry bro. I really hope she will be o.k.

The Rev likes this.
  4. The Rev

She was transported to Neuro-ICU and at least the stiff, orange, board which she was transported is off. Neck brace is still on. Waiting to see if a doc shows up. No change since last night. Visiting hours are at 9:30.

5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    peace brother, you've got my number.. anytime.

The Rev likes this.
  6. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I've posted my number in the Luxury Box thread. Please call anytime. Know that your Mom and your whole family are in my prayers!

The Rev likes this.
  7. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I am so sorry to hear this Rev.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom.
    May God bless and keep all of you.

The Rev likes this.
  8. Ohiophinphan

Just got off the phone with Raul my friends and he asked me to post an update from our conversation.

The situation is very grave. While the injuries do not at this time appear life threatening, the doctors are telling the family that the injuries around vertebrate T6 (a little above the small of your back) are so severe that paralysis is very likely. It would affect walking, bladder function and all the rest of the lower bodily areas. Her name is Mercedes but the family calls her Mercy. I believe Raul said she is 76 (it was middle 70's if I'm off a year or so) and unfortunately has never worn a seatbelt.

She was t-boned into, of all things, the parking lot of a hospital. She was treated by their trauma team immediately and then sent to Jackson where the Miami Project for paralysis (formerly known as the Buoniconti project) is located. I told Raul that Mercy is in the best spot on the planet for her kind of injury.

It will take a few days for the swelling to go down and she is getting good care. Raul and his twin sister have gotten a chane to speak to Mercy briefly.

They need your prayers and best wishes desperately. The shock and numbness are terrible. He appreciates the good wishes and support of his friends here.

9. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    That is terrible news to hear especially with the update.

I can't imagine what you are going through Raul and I am sending you all my best wishes and hopes. Just know that sometimes even when things seem the worst they can work out. Just keep up your spirits and its amazing what the love, support, prayers, and best wishes of family and friends can do. I truly hope everything works out.

10. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Thanks for the update Keith. Continued thoughts and prayers for Raul's mom and her family.

The Rev and Ohiophinphan like this.
  11. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Someone please give me the info I need, i.e., her's and her mother's first and middle names.

12. Ohiophinphan

I spoke with Raul last evening and thought about that but in the press of things forgot to ask. It is on my list to ask when next we speak. His Mom's first name is Mercedes but the family knows her as Mercy.

The Rev and Miamian like this.
  13. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    thoughts and prayers for you rev. im so sorry this happened bro. keep your head up bro.

The Rev likes this.
  14. The Rev

Her name is Mercedes but she does not have a middle name.

My name is Raul as is my father. My sister is Maria.

My family would like to thank you for your concern, thought, and prayers. They are being felt and are sincerely appreciated.

As of now, we are considering surgery for her L-1 vertebrae to relieve pressure so that she may retain use of her bodily functions. This a least would help her to retain some dignity.

I'm okay for the most part. If anyone has ever read the book The Shack by William Paul Young, the main character talks about a "Great Sadness." That is what we have right now.

I'm still around lurking. it helps to ease my mind.

gafinfan, alen1 and Ohiophinphan like this.
  15. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    What I need is your mother's mother's (your maternal grandmother's) name. Jews pray for the sick as son/daughter of mother.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  16. The Rev

Dolores

Ohiophinphan and Miamian like this.
  17. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm very sorry about what has happened and send prayers. My sister is very active in the community and is advocate for the disabled. She has worked closely with the Miami Project and also has some contacts with stem cell researchers.. The important thing right now is to get as much information as possible. I know there have been recent advances to people that were injured that have to be acted on within the first 48 hours after the accident. PM me or let me know if you need some guidance on this, I can have my sister look in to it for you.

18. Ohiophinphan

Spoke with Raul at lunchtime. They have been told that Mercy has fractures throughout her vertabrate in a run from L1 though T6. The damage to L1 is extensive. The doctors are deciding whether her health (age and diabetes) allows her to be a candidate for stabilizing surgery.

The family appreciates your prayers and good wishes and asks they be continued.

gafinfan, sking29, alen1 and 3 others like this.
  19. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Just saw this Rev, all my thoughts and prayers in this time of need.

Ohiophinphan and The Rev like this.
  20. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    just checking in....hoping your today is better then your yesterday rev.

21. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I'm still praying for you and your family..
    Keep holding on.

22. Ohiophinphan

Spoke again with Raul today. The situation has taken a turn for the worse. Mercy's oxygenation is not high enough and they are having problems getting it up. Her back causes her to have to lay flat while for the sake of her breathing she needs to be more elevated. The catch-22 has serious medical implications.

The doctors have spoken to Raul about intibation. Now he has to talk to Mercy and the discussions of how to answer her questions and what to do with her answers are heart rending.

He continues to thank y'all for the prayers you have offered and asks they be continued, please!

23. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Always. My prayers continue.
    My heart goes out to him and his family.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  24. Ohiophinphan

Just got off the phone with Raul again. Mom is resting more comfortably. They did not have to intibate her, yet. Instead they put in chest tubes on either side and withdrew large quantities of fluid that was building up due to injuries from the crash and that was what was constricting her breathing.

Raul says no doctor has mentioned "vertabrate" in a week now as they try and deal with the injuries to the chest, et. al. Once the other injuries have been dealt with they can get further into the spinal issues.

Raul is very tired. Family struggles and issues are always magnified at times like this and his fatigue, both physical and mental, is really catching up with him.

He greatly appreciates the prayers, notes, etc he has recived and continues to hope you will send your prayers.

The Rev and dolphindebby like this.
  25. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Please tell Raul I constantly have them in my prayers. And give him my love Pastor.

26. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    prayers for you, your mom and family rev. sorry about this terrible accident.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  27. Ohiophinphan

Wednesday 9/9 update

Just spoke to Raul by phone again. They are looking to take out Mercy's chest tubes and hoping to move her out of ICU. That is the good news. The bad news is that the prognosis regarding regaining mobility is still not good.

As many of you have experianced in crisis such as this, family dynamics often break down. Raul has been thrust into the role of "grown-up" decision maker. There are lots of pressures that come with that role, many of which have nothing to do with Mercy's injuries directly.

He continues to covet your prayers and good wishes!

The Rev and dolphindebby like this.
  28. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    I just checked in to this page and found this. Please add my prayers to those already being lifted up for Raul and his mother..

29. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I will pray for him to have strength and wisdom, especially through this.

30. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Continuing to say t'hilim.

31. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    just found this thread. Stay strong rev. your mom needs you now more than ever. i'll pray for you, your mother and your family

32. Ohiophinphan

I am sorry to report things have taken a serious turn for the worse. Mercy was not able to be removed from ICU and was this morning sedated and intibated. (A tube was put down her throat into her lungs and is now aiding her breathing.) The prognosis is becoming more grave and just before she was put under, Mercy expressed her fatigue at the ongoing ordeal.

Please dear friends continue to hold Mercy, Raul and the family in your prayers. Raul is especially feeling the pressure because now that Mercy is unconscious, Raul has the health care proxy and must determine "what is in her best interest". I have done this and advised on this before. The weight is enormous!

gafinfan, dolphindebby and The Rev like this.
  33. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Prayers for Mercy, Raul and all involved.

34. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    raul, My continued thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Hold fast.
    May the Lord strengthen and bless you during this terrible time.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  35. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Prayers to you and yours Rev, may God give you grace.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  36. The Rev

I figure it might be time for some good news after three weeks in this nightmare:

My mom's lungs have almost cleared up with the exception of a slight pneumonia. They are considering removing the left chest tube today or tomorrow. She is intubated but breathing on her own. Our hope is that when they remove the left chest tube she can tolerate it and that intubation would be next.

Step 1 out of 50 done. :up:
    Thanks for all the prayers.

37. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    My prayers are there with you Raul.
    Hold Fast my friend.

Ohiophinphan, The Rev and cnc66 like this.
  38. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    its like my teacher used to tell me bro, baby steps baby steps. :up:

good luck brother.

Ohiophinphan, The Rev and cnc66 like this.
  39. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    in my prayers brother.

40. crunk-colt

crunk-colt New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    just found this thread and read it from the beginning.. i noticed the original post date and i was very relieved to not get the news i was fearing by the time i had finished. i really hope you, your mother, and the rest of your family make it through this.

keep us updated. any sliver of good news is great news to me.. i cannot imagine what you are going through..