US: Young men have less testorterone than 20 yrs ago

21 replies

padre31padre31Luxury BoxOP
Jan 14, 2013, 06:08 PM

There’s been a lot of talk recently about what’s the matter with men these days. Some folks think men just don’t seem as manly as they used to be. When they compare their grandfathers with men today, the latter just don’t seem to stack up. Plenty of theories get thrown around as to the reason behind this perceived decline in manhood — changing economy, video games, feminism — and much of it is bunk.

But there is in fact one thing about manliness that we can objectively point to as being in decline. Testosterone levels.

Most of you probably know that your individual testosterone levels fall as you age. But studies have shown that men today, across the population, have about 20% less testosterone than men the same age did just two decades ago. That’s a huge dip.

What’s causing this decline? Rising obesity and less smoking, for starters. The latter, while causing a myriad of deleterious health effects, actually increases your T. Go figure. But even when these factors are taken into account, they don’t explain the whole decline. It has been theorized that environmental toxins are also playing a big role. Many modern household products and foods contain chemicals that raise your levels of estrogen, and decrease your T.

Not only does this society-wide drop in testosterone negatively impact men’s health and well-being, which we’ll talk about in more detail in the next post, but it also likely affects the preponderance of traditionally masculine ways of thinking, acting, and feeling.

http://artofmanliness.com/2013/01/13/testosterone-week-intro/

Uhm, not to swipe at the younger cats, but I have noticed the effects of this.

In ways such as not being as active, being far far more passive in terms of arguing or even competing physically.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Jan 14, 2013, 06:35 PM

As a 26 year old ive seen it in my peers. A bunch of ******* if you ask me.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Jan 14, 2013, 06:51 PM

wonder if there's any correlaton with kids being much younger and hitting puberty with each generation. maybe since they are peaking a few years earlier, their respective decline starts earlier.

testing

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jan 14, 2013, 06:55 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

wonder if there's any correlaton with kids being much younger and hitting puberty with each generation. maybe since they are peaking a few years earlier, their respective decline starts earlier.

I'd doubt it, the T window usually would stay open even through the 20 yrs gap, it supposedly tails off in the mid 30's iirc

So puberty even if at say 12 instead of 14, should not make much of a difference

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Jan 14, 2013, 07:24 PM

"padre31 wrote:

I'd doubt it, the T window usually would stay open even through the 20 yrs gap, it supposedly tails off in the mid 30's iirc

So puberty even if at say 12 instead of 14, should not make much of a difference

not saying your wrong, but that assumes there is a standard window of peak T. always possible that a result of hitting puberty too early shortens the window. probably not true, but can't rule it out.

testing

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jan 14, 2013, 07:36 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

not saying your wrong, but that assumes there is a standard window of peak T. always possible that a result of hitting puberty too early shortens the window. probably not true, but can't rule it out.

Hmm, it would seem to me then that there is a different cause other than aging as early puberty would still contain the same time windows, ie, if 11 rather than 13, there should still be a window the size of "X" in terms of time.

I do find it funny that when I bike commute in foul weather one would think I walked on the moon and got there via using a bottle rocket.

*Cough* *Cough* back in the day, it was normal to go through that stuff.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jan 14, 2013, 08:24 PM

...how does one "ride" a bottle rocket?

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jan 14, 2013, 08:33 PM

"lmeister3 wrote:

...how does one "ride" a bottle rocket?

Hold it in one hand and a glass of Captain Morgan in the other..get'r done.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jan 14, 2013, 08:41 PM

Lmfaoo

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Jan 16, 2013, 01:46 PM

You boost your T levels by just being active and working out. With how lazy young adults/teens are in this country it's no suprise. Directly related to the obesity levels.

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

DePhinistr8DePhinistr8Forum Veteran
Jan 17, 2013, 07:04 AM

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:

I work out every day.

But when I drink way to much and bring a girl home. I have a hard time "getting it done," if you know what I mean. Something about whiskey that makes me want to pass out rather than pound one out.

Not sure if that's a testosterone thing or just how I respond to alcohol.

That's why they call it "whiskey dick"

CrunchTimeCrunchTimeRetired Admin
Jan 17, 2013, 07:21 AM

Blame it on Facebook and social media.

maynardmaynardNew Member
Jan 17, 2013, 07:50 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Hmm, it would seem to me then that there is a different cause other than aging as early puberty would still contain the same time windows, ie, if 11 rather than 13, there should still be a window the size of "X" in terms of time.

I do find it funny that when I bike commute in foul weather one would think I walked on the moon and got there via using a bottle rocket.

*Cough* *Cough* back in the day, it was normal to go through that stuff.

I think your spandex outfits are what is generating these reactions :)

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." GRRM, ADWD

eltos_lightfooteltos_lightfootForum Veteran
Jan 17, 2013, 11:13 AM

Two words: skinny jeans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Jan 17, 2013, 11:59 AM

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:

I work out every day.

But when I drink way to much and bring a girl home. I have a hard time "getting it done," if you know what I mean. Something about whiskey that makes me want to pass out rather than pound one out.

Not sure if that's a testosterone thing or just how I respond to alcohol.

Could def be the skinny jeans :lol:

I'm usually a better lay when I'm 5-8 deep.

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jan 17, 2013, 01:18 PM

"maynard wrote:

I think your spandex outfits are what is generating these reactions :)

What is "spandex"?

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jan 17, 2013, 02:12 PM

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:

I work out every day.

But when I drink way to much and bring a girl home. I have a hard time "getting it done," if you know what I mean. Something about whiskey that makes me want to pass out rather than pound one out.

Not sure if that's a testosterone thing or just how I respond to alcohol.

Hmm, suspect you have low blood pressure Aqua, have you checked it at one of those machines at WallyWorld/Kmart etc?

Alcohol being a depressant lower blood pressure, your failure to launch could very well be a lack of blood pressure.

shula_guyshula_guyNew Member
Jan 17, 2013, 02:33 PM

Ive always thought whiskey dick as my bodys way of telling me that Im too drunk to realize the girl im with isnt a 10 she is a 2.

I had no idea it had anything to do with my blood pressure Dr Padre :lol:

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Feb 11, 2013, 07:20 AM

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:

I work out every day.

But when I drink way to much and bring a girl home. I have a hard time "getting it done," if you know what I mean. Something about whiskey that makes me want to pass out rather than pound one out.

Not sure if that's a testosterone thing or just how I respond to alcohol.

Yup.

Your test levels will drop dramatically when binge drinking. Test can be lowered to 30% of normal levels, IIRC. I'll have to look for the article. But it takes a day or two to recover. Multiple nights binge drinking really adds up, long term. I try to limit myself to one drunk night a week, on the weekend, on a non training day.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jun 27, 2013, 04:38 PM

Im not sure what constitutes a "younger generation", but I'm 35 and fairly sure I've always had low testosterone. I've always been quiet and passive, and Ive always been told that I look much younger than I am. Im frequently mistaken for a college student these days. When I was in my 20s, people always thought I was a teen. Ive always had less body hair than other guys my age - I didnt have any chest hair at all until my late 20s when I got married. And most notably, I cant grow any real facial hair at all. When I go without shaving for a week, I look like a teenager trying and failing to look older than he is - just sloppy and unkept. Which is odd, because my dad, his brothers, and my younger brother all often wear beards.

On the plus side, I have a full head of brown hair, and my wife hates facial hair and too much body hair, so Im set, lol.

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Jun 27, 2013, 07:22 PM

"CrunchTime wrote:

Blame it on Facebook and social media.

This forum is lowering our testosterone?

I am mad. There should be a label.

ConuficusConuficusLuxury Box
Jun 27, 2013, 07:48 PM

"Bpk wrote:

This forum is lowering our testosterone?

I am mad. There should be a label.

There is:

It says "Don't talk to Barry, it will lower your testosterone".

You don't see that banner?

That's weird.