1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA TODAY article on QB class

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by adamprez2003, Apr 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-04-17-sw-matt-ryan_N.htm?csp=34

Good article.

Obviously I gotta highlight my boy but there's some good stuff on the other QBs available

Parcells abhors turnovers more than most do.

Nineteen picks?

As unsettling as they might be on the surface, there are explanations.

"They weren't 19 bad throws," Jaworski says. "Some were totally his fault. Some were good defensive plays. Some were tipped balls. Some were bad communication with receivers."

Is Mayock put off by the flurry of interceptions?

"Not even a little bit," he says, "and I've studied all 19 of them."

He places the blame largely on a less-than-stellar receiving corps.

"Did he force some throws? Absolutely," Mayock explains. "But the reason is he is trying to make a play. He doesn't have wideouts who can uncover from a decent corner."

Jeff Jagodzinski, who left as offensive coordinator of the Green Bay Packers to become Boston College's head coach in 2007, says he and his staff worked with Ryan on improving his anticipation of routes so that the ball is consistently delivered on time.

Jagodzinski expects the issue to become a non-issue wherever the quarterback lands in the pros. He chooses his words carefully in an attempt to avoid knocking his own players. His comment is telling, though, when he says, "He'll be surrounded by a different type of player."

When NFL teams inquire about Jagodzinski's current star, the coach replies with a question. "Would you take Matt Hasselbeck right now as your starting quarterback?"

When all agree that they would, Jagodzinski tells them, "It's the same kid, same guy, different last name. But Matt Ryan is a lot further along."

Ryan has a prototype build at 6-5, 228 pounds. Mayock raves about his physical tools and intangibles. He compares him to Manning in some aspects.

Manning started immediately for the Indianapolis Colts after being taken one spot ahead of ill-equipped Ryan Leaf with the first overall pick of the 1998 draft. The Colts went 3-13 that season under Manning, but he learned invaluable lessons under fire.

"Some kids get overwhelmed, and it snowballs," Mayock says. "I would tell you Matt Ryan could fit the Peyton Manning mold. He could take a beating and get better each week."

Mayock also compares the two in another critical aspect. "If you are going to pay a kid that amount of money (as a franchise QB), after God and family, football better be No. 3. With Peyton and this kid, it is."