1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA Today: Dolphins Offseason Report

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Link: HERE

There is nothing here we do not already know, but it is something in these slow times.

fin13, RGF, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    wish I could point out something but it would just be redundant..

3. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Thanks for posting. All these Receivers all have unique abilities obviously. What I noticed that stood out for me, was that they all have very good route running skills. But then again, what do I know. I'm just excited about this team.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  4. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    This is definitely, by far, the most talented group of receivers that we have had in a long time. They could possibly end up the best ever...from 1-5 we do not have a weakness and there are probably 3-4 others that could have made our team easily in years past. Fascinating and exciting...Tannehill is going to light it up.:yes:

Clark Kent likes this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    id rather him throw less, and have the team run more, including him.

Bpk, Fin4Ever, RevRick and 1 other person like this.
  6. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Same here

7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I think this has actually been the plan all along with this staff regarding Tannehill. The icing on the cake is that he has become very proficient in these short-to-intermediate passes. He is also becoming a guy who stays inside the pocket just a tad longer, throwing from different angles, and is now more accurate when he does it.

I think play-action has always been a big part of the plan, and will continue to be part of it. Having good backs who can hit the holes quickly and decisively is what I believe this staff appreciates.

If you look at last year, Moreno was THE GUY until his unfortunate departure. You have an unproven third-year guy who is a little on the smaller side, and doesn't really have the "umph" of a Moreno. What do you do with that? Can he take the pounding? You really do not know until he goes out there. People can say what they want about how the staff uses certain players, but I certainly appreciate the development of some of these guys. Some haven't quite panned out, but some may be ahead of schedule by reason of injury, etc. Miller is a prime example.

With the running last year, at a point in the season, you have a few guys out of place along the line, a "backup" back, and a new offense. It would be easy to say 'run more', but defenses were at times basically daring Tannehill to throw. And because of the injuries along the line, they stacked and these short-to-intermediate throws became our bread and butter. And Tannehill succeeded, shown by his efficiency in the numbers.

What to work on this year? Red Zone conversions and the longer passing game. I am very pleased in how this staff has brought along Tannehill amid the injuries, etc. And I am pleased in Tannehill's ability to work through these things and has become proficient in many areas of his game. Everyone knows he needs work. But I am okay with waiting to see the final product, because I think we will all be very pleased.

**While I think Tannehill is athletic enough to run, this is not something you do with your new $90M QB. I don't think this is his strong suit. He has fantastic straight-line speed for a QB (kind of Brian Hartline-ish), but he lacks the wiggle to consider it as a staple. It also increases his likelihood of injury.

Let's not mistake his sneaky athleticism for a freak like Cam Newton. He is just not built that way. Yes, he can run when the situation calls for it. But let's temper our temptation to run him more because the calls caught teams off-guard last year. Your QB will get lit up with that mindset.

He is a 'traditional' QB first and foremost. Keep him in the pocket where he belongs.**

Mexphin, djphinfan, Brasfin and 2 others like this.
  8. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Excellent post

Colmax and Fin4Ever like this.
  9. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Great post, I agree with pretty much everything you said....I also prefer my QB to throw...most of the time..I think that this year they will let him run if he sees the right defense to run against..I will feel much better when he can feel the pressure and take off scrambling out of harms way for a big gainer.

Colmax likes this.
  10. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    OK I'm going to nitpick a bit.

If Cameron can stay healthy he is more than a decent replacement. He is a pro bowl tight end. That's not a knock on Clay (who I like) but Jordan has already accomplished what Charles aspires to do. Disregarding injury concerns that's an upgrade and let's not pretend Clay doesn't have his own injury concerns.

This sounds like Paysinger is the favorite to start and Jenkins may offer competition. Pretty sure its the other way around.

Fin4Ever, Clark Kent and PhinFan1968 like this.
  11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    we are a passing team though, its what philbin likes to do

Fin4Ever likes this.
  12. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I agree, I would like to see more runs by our RB's as well as Tannehill when he sees a defense laying back, then switch play to RO, I would also like him to feel when the pressure is coming and scramble for positive yards...other than that we pay him for his arm, so on most runs I would like to see the backs carry the load...I just want what is best to keep him upright and healthy..if he does this I see him having 500-600 yards rushing this year.

13. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tannehill doesn't like to run much. I understand that he can run and that they have designed runs for him. I watched him the past two years and he likes to stay in that pocket. I think he will run when it is necessary unless he is asked to do so. Now that he is in this system for a 2nd year, I wonder if they will let him run the offense the way he sees fit?

14. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I don't think he doesn't like to run, I think he has been coached not to. If you go back to his rookie season on Hard Knocks he was running quite a bit when the play broke down in practice. There was a scene where Matt Moore chastise him for it and tells him it will get him killed. RT17 laughs and counters with something like I can't help it but at some point that "instinct" changed. I'm not saying its a bad thing necessarily as he had to work on his fundamentals of being a QB first and foremost.

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I didn't think Jordan Cameron was a sleeper signing, but given the manner in which the media talks about him, he absolutely is that. He's not too far removed from Jimmy Graham in terms of athleticism and ability. With three different (crappy) starting QB's he posted 80 catches, 917 yards, and 7 TD's in 2013. After battling with injuries last season, he only managed 24 catches, but for a ridiculous 427 yards (17.7 Yards per catch).

Cameron has all the size and strength to be a possession receiver and the athleticism and speed to stretch the field vertically, That's a rare combination. As good as Charles Clay was in 2013, he's no Jordan Cameron. Charles Clay was better suited as a Joker TE, not a primary one. With his potential for chronic knee problems, their injury risk is a trade off. As far as ability goes, Cameron is head and shoulders a better receiver than Clay.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    It was Jake Long and it was a pre-season game, which Jake noted was meaningless and not to take stupid hits. Ryan Tannehill is a pocket passer. Has been since college. Because of his athleticism, fans don't accept that fact. Their perception of what he is and isn't, isn't Tannehill's problem.

Piston Honda and Fin4Ever like this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    fine points and without getting into a full blown debate about what I think he needs to do to lead us to championships, let's just say that I think he needs to run a little more, maybe average another 2 carries a games, and show the conscientious effort to run for a first down from the pocket because of what that does to a defense schematically and when that opportunity presents itself... I'm fine with the rest of his development, just a little more here and there with the legs from himself and a little more utilization of his legs from lazor in the form of a moving pocket, and I'm good to go, see the problem I have is there hasnt been enough signs that this is what their thinking, I see it as an obvious must direction..I like lazor and like what going on but I'm always thinking about what it's gonna take to win the Super Bowl.. I think dropping his pass attempts, utilizing a moving pocket more, keep improving our zone run game, have Ryan threaten the defense with his legs off drops, run the zone read 4/5 times a game, and keep the short to intermediate crisp and play defense baby

18. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Just enough runs to keep the defense guessing.

77FinFan and Fin4Ever like this.
  19. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I have to disagree. I would say that he wants a balanced attack from what I have gathered. The increase in passing last year was a combination of injury, situational football, and development.

Tannehill no doubt was brought in to become a passer, but I gather that the staff wanted to bring him along slowly, and to further concrete this was the Moreno signing last year. Hell, I doubt the kid even starts year one if Garrard doesn't injure himself playing Marco Polo in the pool. He started by default. And while that first year was painful to watch, this staff had no other choice and, IMO, have done a fine job of trying to hide his inconsistencies. I think while Miami signed Wallace, they still had "run" in the back of their minds.

It's very unfortunate, but I think singlehandedly, Moreno's injury caused a whirlwind of events to happen, including this off-season. If he doesn't get injured, this team very well could look extremely different, and not necessarily for the better.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ok, so lets go with that, heres the thing, taking into account the strengths of the qb, which is complete elite dexterity going left or right throwing on the run..taking into account every time the read option is called he averages almost 6 yards a carry, and knowing that some of the greatest qbs in hsitory have come right out and have said that running on their own ''threatens a defense and they do it early and as often as possible so they cant cheat''..knowing all that, really knowing it, do you think that 3 read option carries, 1 rollout, and 0 runs of his own accord are enough to keep a defense honest?

I sure as hell don't...those are inexcusable numbers for a qb with this level of talent..

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

''I wish we could run 30 times a game every game''

Philbin.

Colmax likes this.
  22. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I don't think so.

djphinfan likes this.
  23. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Only noteworthy blurb in lazy *** article:

Can't wait...

77FinFan likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    seriously, especially considering we've never had a tight end with his size and athleticism..so its going to be a shocking thing to see I believe, like giddy type sh&&.

77FinFan and Pandarilla like this.
  25. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I honestly am as psyched about him as anyone. Maybe I shouldn't be, but he really has my blood pumping.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    why not, like i said, show me another tight end with as good as skill set as he has thats been in a dolphin uniform...26 year old.