1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uspga

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boomer, Aug 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Surprised no one commented on this. Tiger Woods or no Tiger Woods, the golf Garcia and Harrington played in the final round was out of this world.

Doesn't bode well for Azinger's team in Valhalla.

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Im starting to feel REALLY bad for Sergio. I used to think it was funny that he choked in EVERY major, but its getting sad. Harrington played excellent and deserved to win.

If Tiger is absent, your average American golf fan couldnt care less who wins. In our minds any tourny without Tiger gets a fat * next to it.

3. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I would say that Padraig Harrington - clearly the best golfer in the world at the moment - is SO NOT deserving of an asterisk. If you want to asterisk a major, look at Paul Lawrie or Rich Beem or Shaun Micheel.

As for Sergio, I don't buy that he choked. He's finished 2nd 3 times in Majors. First when he was a boy and he hit that amazing shot on 17 to lose by a shot to Tiger. Then he lost in a playoff to Harrington for the British Open and missed a difficult downhill 10footer to win. And he didn't lose the PGA yesterday; Harrington won it. Garcia played 1 bad shot in his round, on a course that Lee Westwood called the most difficult he'd ever played on. If that shot into 16 over the water goes a foot further, he wins the trophy and people are talking about that approach the way they do about Tiger's approach to the 18th over water to win the Canadian Open a few years back.

4. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Im not saying Harrington deserves one, just pointing out that any golfer who wins in Tigers absence will not be given the respect he deserves.

As for Sergio, the guy has had a ton of chances going into the Sunday of a major and failed to get it done. In addition to the times you mentioned him finishing second, hes also had a couple other Top 5's (a couple at the US Open) where he faltered on the back 9.

5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I should probably note that Sergio's worst choke jobs have actually come in non-majors. (See: Wachovia)

6. Cuban Dave 9

Cuban Dave 9 Lane Kiffin = A-Clown

Jan 4, 2008
    South Miami/Coral Gables
    I always root for Sergio..he always disapoints me though

7. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Sergio's issues have been more to with putting than choking. Anyone that wins the Colonial, the Buick, the Byron Nelson, The Players Championship and is dominant in the Ryder Cup is no choker in my book.

8. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Last year's British Open with Tiger, was won by Harrington. He's the best player in the world and there shouldn't be an asterisk.

9. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I dont disagree Harrington is dominate right now, but when TW gets back the field is playing for second place.

10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I'd say the rest of the field is playing for 2/3 Majors a year with Tiger back in.