1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vernon Carey likely to leave

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by wpgfishfan, Feb 13, 2009.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well my Mock looks more likely now that Carey is going to walk.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Eek.

RT might just become top priority.

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Alot of good tackles in the draft

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If we're going to be cheap and not re-sign Carey, then we better be using that money towards another big name.

This is not the time to pinch pennies.

5. anlgp

It is if they don't feel the players is worth the pennies.

I would rather them ship him out then pay him money when they feel they can get more for less elsewhere.

If they let him walk they have something in mind.

6. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I'm not a fan of making more holes in a roster that is already full of them.
    We need to keep as many players that are at the least "serviceable" while attempting to fill the holes that are urgent. Creating more holes just makes the rebuild process longer.

Having said that, yeah, if they really think Carey is just to inconsistent to consider a high contract on him then what are they going to do. They get rid if him, hopefully though, they have a player they feel has similar talent that they know they can bring in. We can't afford any positions that are set presently to take a step backwards.

Rick 1966, Larryfinfan and Puka-head like this.
  7. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    The stuff that I've been reading indicates that it's not so much a matter of "pinching pennies" per se. But they are affixing a (what they believe to be a fair) value to the player and the position and seemingly are unwilling to stray too far from what they believe the player is worth.
    ie: "This is what we believe you are worth - we will pay you X amount but we won't be held hostage. Explore FA see if another team will pay you more. If so - best wishes".
    Also in another thread FFIC posted a link to an article that mentioned we would be looking to upgrade the RT position.

8. baboo72

baboo72 Bleeding aqua & orange

Mar 23, 2008
    Watford, England
    Is he asking for silly money? I've not seen any figures mentioned but he does seem to be able to play well across the line? - That probably doesn't justify big money but should warrant a decent attempt to resign?

9. anlgp

I'm as much for keeping vets as the next guy as long as they don't get overpaid in the process. I have good feelings if they let Carey walk they have had this in mind for quite some time and have planned well for the possibility.

late again and Coral Reefer like this.
  10. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    If this is how it plays out it will emphasis were not shipping out our 1st round pick for a top end WR. We'll need all the draft picks we have.

11. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Not saying I think we will use our first for a WR but I also don't think this situation will have any bearing on that decision either.

Don't see us using the first on a RT prospect and if that's true then this would have little bearing on how we address the use of the #1.

12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Like what? The only answers right now seem to be drafting another tackle with a high pick, or paying for one of few FA options. I'm not a big fan of this class so having a later pick isn't a great option in my mind.

Either way, we're looking at spending another pick or quite a bit of money to fill a position that isn't as big of an immediate need IMO.

I wish we'd just franchise him this year. Then we have time to workout a deal, or maybe even trade him. Plus, you know he'd be playing at his best since he'd still be looking for a big deal.

13. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    This is not Carey's agent talking, but just some agent. ****, it could be anyone. I don't think they'll let Carey walk unless his demands are unreasonable or he gets a big time offer from someone else.

14. anlgp

I don't know what they'd have in mind. I'm not psychic. But they did let go ZT and JT last year; which says a lot about them not wanting to overpay guys.

I know Carey is younger and the positions aren't really comparable but their willingness to let players go and stand firm to their grounds is.

15. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Honestly i dont think he played that well this year. so if hes asking for a ton of money i have no problem with letting him walk.

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Those 2 really don't have anything in common with Carey's situation, at all.

I'm just saying that if we let Carey go, our options look very limited and unattractive for the most part.

I'd hate to have to fill this position and in turn, miss out on a playmaker on D such as Peppers, or blow our 1st rounder on a RT instead of taking a guy like English.

This could article could all be a load of crap though anyways so who knows.

alen1 likes this.
  17. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Do you think Carey is worth the franchise tag of the reported 9 million.. I sure as heck dont... Not even close, maybe 6 tops.. tops... only due to his versatility

steveincolorado likes this.
  18. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I didn't read the article, but if fatasz wants big money, he should have been to the pro bowl a few times. He's average. I would rather trust Mr. Ireland than anyone else at this time.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    So if we don't tag him then whats the better option? I really don't see one.

20. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'd rather let him walk then to give him 9 mil. What has he done to deserve that kind of money? He may be our best RT, but that doesn't mean anything.

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    How about not getting hurt or missing any time since his rookie season?

How about being able to properly play RT or LT?

What makes you think he's even asking for big money? People are getting this idea bc some agent (not even Carey's agent), is saying that he might want more than we want to pay him.

And yea, being our best RT does mean something bc consistency and familiarity between the OL is very important. You can't expect our line to play great when it keeps looking completely different every year.

anlgp likes this.
  22. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I hear you the line continuity bro, however we need to ensure we are pushing this line to be better, and inserting different pieces in the line until we are kicking butt, stepping on D lineman on our way back to the huddle. I trust in Bill, Jeff, and Tony. We need to get the right pieces so we are creating holes for Brown, Williams, and Cobbs.:wink2:

late again likes this.
  23. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado

But why pay a average player that kind of money? None of us knows what he is asking, your right about that, but maybe he isn't the player that the FO wants. If he is asking for a ton of money, then I have no problem letting him walk. He isn't worth that much.

24. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I honestly don't understand the love for Carey on here. He is a Right Tackle and Right Tackles, for the most part, can be easily replaced (unless you're the Jets and you have Anthony Clement man the position for two years before finally getting Damien Woody). He isn't worth the money he is going to command on the FA market and Parcells knows this. Right Tackle is the least important position on an Offensive Line as long as your Quarterback isn't a lefty.

25. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Okay who left the door open?:lol: What's going on brother.:wink2:

124 likes this.
  26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think he's an important piece to that line because of his size and versatility. It's a very underrated priveledge to have a guy that can switch from RT to LT. He def has the size for a BP guy as well.

If we want to look at switching someone out, it has to be Satele. He def took a monster step back this year. If your looking for a weak point on that line, look no further.

Once again, speculation.

27. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    :lol:

Not much John, yourself?

Seriously I don't think Carey is worth what some fans are willing to give him. There are a couple of names on the FA market and there are going to be plenty of tackles available in the draft. I'd be more concerned about resigning Yermiah Bell and Channing Crowder.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    What better FA RT is out there?

And if you think resigning Crowder is more important than Carey then we're already headed on the way to a stalemate.

29. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Satele was playing hurt. Probably due to seeing Thomas, and Smiley go down for the year. Can he add the weight, and get stronger? That is what the staff will have to figure out, and we go from there.

anlgp likes this.
  30. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    You don't need better, Carey isn't that good to begin with. I read some posts on here and some act like he's a Top 5 Right Tackle, which is ridiculous. Carey is easily replaceable. Again, like I said, RT is the least important position on the Offensive Line if your QB is right handed.

Crowder is a ILB/OLB tweener, its important to have players like those.

31. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I duno how much you can really put on the injury. Smiley didn't get hurt till Week 13 and Satele wasn't exactly lighting the league on fire for the beginning of the season.

Damn, I can't wait to have Thomas back. I always forget about him at first when I think of our OL.

32. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Still unemployed, other then that hanging in there. We could look to the draft for a RT. It all depends what they think we can do with our first three picks in the first two rounds. Bell I believe we need back. Crowder who I like, and have enjoyed as a player, I think we can do better. There are players we want to bring back of course, but can we better this team without them. Our management staff has to have a plan for FA, the draft, FA not drafted. We have holes, and upgrades that are needed and we can't get them all done this year. We will be close, but not quite there.

steveincolorado likes this.
  33. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    That is why in the first couple of rounds you can find a versatile quality lineman. If Satele doesn't win the job next season, at least we will have depth.

34. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    You will find a job soon enough (hopefully). I'm working PT while in college and the lack of hours is so back they laid off 6 people the last couple of days and there is only one shift a week to give to PT'ers, its horrible.

As for RT, if you guys want to spend big, don't spend it on Carey, spend it on Stacy Andrews from the Bengals, the best RT available.

Bell is a must to resign, IMO, unless the team can bring in a guy like Brian Dawkins or Darren Sharper.

Crowder is an ILB/OLB tweener, its important to have guys like that in the 34. Of course you don't want seven of those, but having one or two is never a bad thing. Adds depth at each position.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think the injury of Donald Thomas and the lack of a good RG next to Satele hurt his play this season.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Once again, Carey can play both RT and LT and thats very valuable.

Crowder is a ILB/OLB tweener with 1.5 CAREER sacks and 0 Interceptions. Doesn't sound like much for an OLB.

He also only averaged around 60 tackles in his first 3 years and then magically that number kicked up to 92 in his contract year. Weird.

Add to that his knee issues and I say No Thanks.

37. QrtBck13

QrtBck13 Easy E

Aug 14, 2008
    SRQ
    An uncapped year may be forth coming in the near future.........doesn't make much sense to not spend our money this off season to retain some very key players...........
    Now if BP and JI think they can get better play out of a 2nd or 3rd round pick then im all for it.........
    Any other FA tackle will cost just as much as Vernon............
    This decision to not resign him would make me somewhat uneasy.................

38. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    He could've improved greatly, you don't know what really until you resign him and see what he has. Bryan Thomas being resigned after he came out of nowhere to post 9 sacks in his contract year (2006) was a big mistake as he went back to being invisible, but at least Crowder was visible somewhere. At OLB, he might not be a pass rushing dynamo, but I'm not talking about him coming from the blindside. The other three positions he can fill.

Carey CAN play LT, but he's pretty putrid when he's on that side. Stacy Andrews can play RT or G. Again, if you're going to spend your $ on a big name RT, spend it on Andrews or a Draftee.

39. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree with you on Crowder, but IMO, out of the 3, only Bell is the one we could use back. The other 2 can walk.