Very Good article on Sparano..He's got qualities that I like.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Dec 3, 2011.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Well I think its also about the fact that he seems like a good man and an integrity guy. Nothing wrong with that

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

djphinfan likes this.
  2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I wonder how much having the right QB makes the coach. :escape:

3. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Well I think its also about the fact that he seems like a good man and an integrity guy. Nothing wrong with that

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Let me be clear here, I love the job Coach Sparano has done in Miami.

I also think it is probably time for a seperation, as I don't think Stephen Ross buys into what Sparano likes to do on offense, and Sparano's resume won't allow him to do whatever he feels is best for the team.

Further, to the dismay of many, I suspect we finish 7-9, leaving Sparano as a .500 coach for his time in Miami.

I also think Parcells way of doing things, which Sparano practices, is not what Ross wants from his team, the secrecy over stupid stuff is not what Ross has in mind, he wants headlines and quotes etc, Sparano and really Ireland are just not wired that way.

5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    No offense but this is the same kind of argument we get into every year here. The team and the Qb shows flashes here and there but are largely unsuccessful but we start making excuses and justifying the poor play, horrific home record, terrible game management and poor Qb progress and people start saying 'hey one more year'. Forget it, Sparano needs to go and we need to draft a new Qb. How can we keep Sparano, give him a rookie Qb, maybe new coordinators, etc? We would be committing to give him a few more years at that point and he hasn't earned that IMO.

He's another Norv Turner, Dave Wannestadt, etc. He could give you 10-11 wins in a great year but he never will win a title. We know this but we want the guy who we all like personally to succeed, but we know he never will. Its time to move on, he failed miserably this year and overall hasn't done anything to deserve more time and money. He'll leave here a millionaire and get another gig in the NFL as an assistant, I don't feel bad for him.

6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have no doubt Sparano has some very good qualities. The players on the team appear to like him and he remains positive, no matter how the players find a way to lose another game. Unfortunately no matter how many positive attributes Sparano may have as a person, his job is to win football games. The fact is that over the last two plus seasons the Dolphins are 17-26, as of today. This is a record which dictates that Sparano must be fired once the season is over, no matter what his good qualities might be.

The fact is that he is NOT a good head coach and I have no doubt Mr. Ross has already determined that Sparano must go, no matter if the Dolphins win their last five games or not.

7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Game day motivation by coaches is highly overrated. Listening to Mark Schlereth and Golic this week they both mentioned this, in fact Schlereth said he didn't here a word the Rat was saying because he was focused on what he had to do.

Now. I agree Sparano needs to go, but a lot of this blame needs to be put on the players.

8. PigMuffin

PigMuffin New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I personally think Sparano is an awful coach. He just makes too many identifiable in game mistakes that are unacceptable. However, a franchise qb is so much more important than a head coach and unless we fix that it wont matter whos coaching here.

Manning can carry Caldwell to a Super Bowl. Pennington can carry Sparano to the playoffs and yes Brady can bring superbowls to Belichick. Belichick went from being vilified in Cleveland, to being severely criticized in Boston with a 7-14 start, to being the "genius" after he lucked into Brady.

That 11-5 season after Brady went down needs to be looked at in perspective. They went from 16-0 and but for a miracle throw and catch by the giants to being argueably the greatest NFL team ever. They went from a historically great team to not making the playoffs the next year.

9. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    They won 11 games without Brady. With Matt Cassell at QB. I think they were mostly unlucky that year. 99% of the time that season and that record gets you into the postseason.

10. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    What would they have won with Brady though? I think they would have been a playoff team that year with him, so it can be argued that the loss of Brady knocked them out of the playoffs.

11. PigMuffin

PigMuffin New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Again..the year before they were 16-0 and on the verge of being considered the greatest foot ball team of all time. The next year they finish behind the dolphins in the divison, who by the way won one game the previous season.

So the dolphins go from one win to division champs by adding Penny. The Pats go from all time great team to finishing behind the dolphins without Brady.

Pennington and Sparano > Belichick and no Brady

Oh and its not like Cassell is hot garbage. He actually did make a probowl in KC. He just wasnt as good as Penny was that year

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Just to reiterate after todays game..

''The man stayed strong throughout, took hits,{owners, fans, media} from all angles, kept his pride, protected his players, and continued to show how much he cares about this team, there are qualities about him that are quite endearing..I'am inclined to think his passion for his players inspired this team midseason to unite and come together..He's probably gone if he doesn't win 8 games, but if the big boys Cowher, Gruden, or Fisher don't want us 100 percent, I would stick with Sparano.''

He's coachin his *** off..Good for him and good for the image of this franchise.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree Deej. It's beginning to look like the the best thing for this team is to not make any rash decisions that might actually go against the chemistry this entire team has going for it. I see a huge difference between what we have and the Eagles. Everyone on this team seems to have each other's backs, coaches included. They're finally playing as a TEAM.

I'm about at the point where I'm thinking--- let's let these guys continue to improve together and have an awesome draft/FA and see where we end up. If this current team showed up at the beginning of the year, I strongly believe we might be challenging NE, Pitt, Balt, and Houston for the top team in the AFC. You?

14. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I gotta say, if you just woke up after sleeping 6 months and tuned into the middle of a Dolphins game, and watched Tony's demeanor, he sure doesn't give the impression of a lame duck coach who will be gone after 4 more games.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I had us at 9 and 7 going into the year, the team were seeing now is the team we should of seen the first half, but with so many things beyond the control of the staff, and the adversity they had to deal with when they came together was very harsh for any team to be united without being fully together, its hard to pin their fate on those 7 games. I think you have to look at the back half of the season moving forward, and let the first half wash with all the crap..If he wins 7 or 8 I think everyone has to really try to get past their previous opinions and start to see a different angle or perspective on the way and when a team is ready to make a run after a rebuild, sometimes that threshold can be tough to get thru, but if you stay competitive, and continue to build with young players who seem to have some toughness and character in them, add talent, then go for it in 2012..All the while selecting your first round QB of course, and seeing what type of interest there is from the top 3 coaches available..That is not changing for me.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I hear ya, but you just don't want to give up to soon on a first time head coach that is showing some talent.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  17. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Four years I do not think is giving up on a guy to quickly. He has a chance to stay, but even if we run the table it is hard to look past his failings. At the very least, we need to run the table in the AFC east the rest of the way I think - might be able to get away with a NE loss if its close.

This turnaround is nice, but who knows if this is the "real deal" or just a hot streak from a team with no pressure.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yes, but if the hot streak continues, you don't fire him just for the sake of firing him. You better have a damned great coach lined up as his replacement, one whom the team will get behind w/o becoming completely disgruntled b/c they obviously support Tony.

There's some cohesiveness with this team right now, and, like it or not, Sparano is a part of that....... And since that's something that can't be bought, it could be a mistake to treat it insignificantly.

MrClean, djphinfan and Stringer Bell like this.
  19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Thats all I'am saying here, were just havin some fun, thinking out loud, pontificating about...Just pure unaldulterated speculation on 8 and 8..

LOL... Shoot, if we go 8 and 8 THERE AIN'T KNOW DAMN COACH THAT WOULD TAKE THE FREAKIN JOB!!!

ToddsPhins likes this.
  20. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    For what it worth I go to the University of New Haven where sparano used to coach and my dad works there and talks to our Athletic director who still is close with sparano and she said even when he was here the players would jump through a wall for him so I really don't think players just are saying that they support him because it's the right thing to say. Also the AD also said that some Ireland and sparano don't see eye to eye and has been a big factor in the dolphins problems. Personally I don't care who's the coach is next year as long as they do whatever it takes to get Barkley or Luck

21. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    So was Dave Wannstedt, the guy that ran this franchise right into a brick wall.
    This "he's a good guy" stuff going around absolutely amazes me.

22. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    A hot streak that looks like it could possibly erase the entire track record of this regime and cause Ross to seriously consider keeping Sparano along with take us right out of range for any top QB in the draft.

This franchise can do NOTHING right. It's almost comical.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    so you would be upset at the team and mock them if they go 7 and 1 the 2nd half?..you think their gonna develope a strategy to lose games like the colts have done?, and you would be proud of that?