1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veteran Help? Couldn't Hurt

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Obsessivefinfan, Oct 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Obsessivefinfan

Obsessivefinfan Banned

Oct 7, 2008
    Alright, so I've already established my reasons why our Phins will contend through the end of the season. Of course, despite our struggles in recent years, no fan would be fully content without a playoff berth--that's why we watch the game. Now, as great as we have looked, there are a few areas in which we need to sure up our depth. Late in the season we have some pivotal games against the Jets, Pats, and Bills that could decide our playoff fate.

Right now if you notice, each unit on our team seems to have a perfect mixture of veterans and young talent...except at WR. On my first post I got a very insightful reply that loosely compared Pennington's game managing skills to that of Rich Gannon in his Raider years. I fully agree and commend the observation. As I mentioned in a reply, Penny has that same efficiency from 15 yards in. The offense has been designed with elements of a West Coast system in the passing game. In pondering the comparison of our current offense to that Raiders offense, something we are lacking is that sure-handed veteran WR. Now I do not mean this as an indictment to our WR corps, everyone has been great and improving; I mean it as a suggestion that could possibly solidify the offense even further. That being said, I researched a bit on guys out there who could perhaps fit the mold of what we could use down the stretch, here are a couple of suggestions:

Keenan McCardell-He has been in the position before; after a long stay with the Jags he has been a bit of a journeyman. He has always been a solid blocker, had good hands, and run routes well.

Eric Moulds-yes, I remember, don't call me treasonous! Seriously though, he has nice size, his potential is more proven than Wilford's even though it hasn't been matched for a while, but remember he wouldn't be a primary guy...maybe 3-5 targets a game...3rd downs, red zone, etc.

A Guy to keep an eye and ear out for is Peerless Price. He has yet to be cleared to play after a neck injury last season, but he is rehabbing, and appears to be on track to be cleared this season. If we can get him at a low price, why not?

Now on the defensive side. First off, kudos to the defense. I want to reiterate that I by no means am criticizing their play. You cannot, however just disregard the occurences of the first two weeks...those were the same guys meaning the possibility of having a game like that still exists. From the entire Cards game to the F-ing floater by Favre, there are a few major concerns. 1-We lack a playmaker...a guy who will create turnovers in the secondary. We have improved actual coverage, but I have not seen many plays on the ball. 2-We have no valuable depth beyond the starters in our base scheme. In the Cards game it showed that against an opponent with an all-pro WR corps, we tend to be out-manned. Arizona has three WRs who are big, have great hands, and boast impressive speed. We need guys we can use to adjust in a situation like that. So, of course, I dug up a few names floating around in free agency. Some have question marks, one has filled the depth role for us twice before, but all, in my opinion could be helpful additions if we want to make a serious push:

Cornerbacks
    Ty Law-Again, call me treasonous, but our division rivals make a living off of signing former Phins...why not return the favor? Granted Law is not what he once was, but if he can lower his price for a chance to bite NE in the ***, it's not like we expect him to be a #1...we can use him like we used Buckley back in the day, 'Go get some INTs, take some chances.' He'd love it, and so would I.

Duane Starks-He's a former Cane, and he's fallen off, but again, we don't need an every down corner; we need a guy who can add depth. Plus, veterans are revitalized when they can play less downs and preserve their bodies.

Safeties
    Mike Doss-This one is scary simply because of the blemish on his legal record. He has been without a team since Drew Rosenhaus followed through on a threat to the Vikes. Now you gotta remember, this guy has potential. Everyone knows that if Drew is a fan of anything other than money, it is the Canes and Phins. I think this kid is worth a look.

Lance Schulters-He's been here twice before, hasn't been great, but would still add solid depth to our secondary, and it'd probably be relatively cheap.

What do you guys think, anything you know about these guys that I may be overlooking or maybe forgot? Let me know!

SICK and anlgp like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I don't know about prospects but someone with a legal record will not be on a bill parcells team. At least he tries his best not to have'em.

3. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I think adding anyone else midseason in hopes of fueling a playoff run would be disastrous. This budding core needs to succeed and/or fail based on its own merits. Its youthful enthusiasm and developing chemistry is what is fueling the current maturation process. No need to set that back.

The goal is long-term consistent success. Let's continue building from within. There's nothing saying that we couldn't add some role players to the mix in the offseason, but to make any radical changes now doesn't add up.

Pagan and GARDENHEAD like this.
  4. Obsessivefinfan

Obsessivefinfan Banned

Oct 7, 2008
    Well he not only signed Terry Glenn again with the 'Boys after having trouble in NE with him, but he kept him after being arrested for public intoxication in '06. I think if it gives us a chance to win, and he believes the problems are done, he will go for it. Look at Ricky, no legal problems, but still a high-risk player.

It all comes down to what the monetary risk would be, if he deems the irsk-reward to be unbalanced, he wont touch it.

5. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Nice write up. I think that if we are still in contention when the trading deadline we may see move, but I doubt it. This FO wants to keep our draft picks and build with the draft. We can be successfull with who we have. Its all about the execution.

6. Obsessivefinfan

Obsessivefinfan Banned

Oct 7, 2008
    I agree, but I am not suggesting signing someone to jump into a starter role, or even play a large amount of plays...but tell me this, what happens if one of our corners goes out for a week or two (dont worry I knocked on wood)? Do you feel confident that one of our backups are capable of stepping in? Personally I do not, I could be wrong. I actually think a guy like McCardell could teach Ginn and Bess a thing or two, and make them better. Obviously I don't know what these guys' frame of mind is, probably the only guy I see that could be a detrimental signing is Mike Doss...but I think its worth assessing because he is an above average talent.

I do get what you're saying though, but that's why I am not screaming to trade for Chad Johnson or something ridiculous like that.

7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I agree ^.

If it takes us longer because we're just developing our players I'd be willing to miss the playoffs this year and next year to have a bowl run in three or four years. They've been trying to build chemistry and have only brought in Mathis because Thomas went down. I'm all for making the team better but to do that the players not only have to be there but the chemistry between them. If it's a WR you bring in you've (generally speaking) got to remember that Pennington likes to know his WRs. If you add someone to the defense someone else is out. The unit suffers. The team suffers.

Yeah I'm also agreeing it wouldn't be a starting roll but it doesn't have to be. There's only 53 men on the team. One guy in means one guy out. I realize it's a business as well. I think they're generally happy with who they have except maybe in a few spots. I'd rather see them do it through the draft just so you get my angle.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  8. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Adding someone in response to an injury is different than adding someone for that extra playoff push, which is how I read your proposal.

9. Obsessivefinfan

Obsessivefinfan Banned

Oct 7, 2008
    Oh I by no means want to trade, trust me I want Parcells to be armed with as many draft picks as possible. I'm talking seemingly insignificant signings. I don't honestly think a McCardell or Schulters would mess with the makeup of the team at all.

10. Obsessivefinfan

Obsessivefinfan Banned

Oct 7, 2008
    Yes, that is the angle of my proposal, and while it may be different, if we don't sure up our depth ahead of time, teams like the Saints and Browns who have endured some injuries (and other teams will join them to be sure) will sign the valuable guys available in the defensive backfield (which is REALLY where I think we need an addition). The best managing tactics are preemptive moves...now of course my angle also takes the angle of ASSUMING we want to win THIS YEAR. I do not disagree with you all, it was meant as a hypothetical 'just throwing it out there' kind of thing.

I said before the season I'd be happy with an 8-8 season, and I stick by that. But come on, if we're in it, you can't say part of you doesn't feel a bit antsy! My overall point is 'If we want to improve our playoff chances THIS YEAR...' Know what I mean now?

11. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Nice detailed write up. I will have to say no thanks to anyone or any logic that way. We've tried that for a decade bringing in "Veteran talent" and it hasn't done us any good.

Let the young kids play and get the experience. They will be that much better and comfortable in years to come. Our WR have played extremely well so far this year (at least was has been asked of them ie: don't drop the ball) and bringing in an old vet will distrupt the good thing we have going.

I think our team is just fine and with a first and 2 seconds next year, and our FO drafting ability, we can add talent to those positions in the 09 draft, not now.

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Tunaland isn't going to add a veteran just to be adding one...Of all the guys you listed perhaps Moulds or McCardell might be looked at, but only if one of our guys goes down.

The guys not on a team right now all....every one of them....have issues. Law is older than dirt and was cut by the Chiefs...Starks is a never-was, not a has-been. Doss...wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole...

I don't think the trifecta are too worried about those we don't have on the roster right now. They won't change the strategy because we are more successful than anticipated...if that's actually the way the really feel...There is more of a plan to this organization than there has been since Shula was here...They haven't looked at bringing big name players here, even in full FA...why would they want that now ??

13. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I guess my biggest point is in direct response to your thread title: it could hurt.

14. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAMES...except when you are totally rebuilding for the future. I'd rather give the playing time to a practice squad guy, just to see how he responds. No retreads here. To quote the great Sarah Palin, "thanks, but no thanks!"

15. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    while i liked the thoughts of a vet WR...but our guys wont develop if we do..ginn, bess, or camarillo will lose playing time and suspend their development even more

16. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I say stay with what we have, unless we release Wilford or Hagan, then we would look at wide receivers. Eric Parker is one that is out there. If there isn't a need, then we stay pat, and develop who we have now.:wink2:

padre31 likes this.
  17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    To be honest, I wouldn't touch those guys. Moulds and McCardell are done in my opinion. They aren't the guys they used to be and are up there in age. If we were to add a Wide Receiver to this team this season, I would think its a small 'no-name' type. In the off-season, I could see us going after a guy like Amani Toomer. I would be shocked if we were to bring in a 'name' in the middle of the season.

I've brought up Ty Law in the past. He may have lost a step but I am certain he can do a better job than Andre' Goodman. Law is currently keeping an eye on the Jets, the Patriots and the Browns. Those teams may look to CB help and whoever pays him first will get his services. He has a connection with Parcels ever since Parcells and his management made him the first round pick in '95 but I don't think he's brought in here unless we are a playoff team.

Duane Starks is done IMO.

Doss doesn't seem to be the same layer ever since torn ACL. I could be wrong but I haven't seen him do anything ever since the injury. With his character troubles, I think he's off the list despite his potential.

I liked Schulters. I wouldn't be against bringing him in.

18. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Schulters signed with someone, I thought I read that somewhere?

If we sign anyone, we are desperate for better Special Teams play, right now our unit is terrible, which is a surprise as it was focus this offseason, but of all of our units ST's rank no better then 29th...

19. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    If something happens to Hagan or Wilford on weather they stay on this team, there is also Williams from the Lions that is supposed to be available in a trade.:wink2: