1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video; Autonomous Paintball Sentry Bot

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by charlestonphan, Jul 11, 2008.

1. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    TheAnswer385 and HardKoreXXX like this.
  2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Insane. The only thing thats a head scratcher is the fact the kid says his low income is the only thing stopping him from selling them... he's obviously smart and skilled enough to put a device like that together...

3. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Brilliant !

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Who would buy it? What would you use it for? And are you really willing to cover the costs of a lawsuit????

5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Bro Im guessing these things will hit the Black Market very soon...

6. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

But does it hold any practical purpose? (I mean you are all saying Millionaire ~ I question black market or not, how that will be the case)

7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Actually only the original poster said Millionaire. Im guessing there are certain people in certain countries who would love such a weapon (obviously they wouldnt shoot paintballs)

Maybe Im off base though...

8. charlestonphan

Mar 22, 2008
    that was my thinking exactly. if this guy with admittedly small budget due to low income can pull this off on the cheap, someone will help mass produce them, here or somewhere else, and/or pay him a boatload for the prototype and consulting.

as for a practical, nonlethal use, i was thinking that every prison yard in America should have one, loaded with rubber bullets, to quell riots.

9. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Yeah this has lethal weaponry written all over it. The problem is, I think most weapons manufacturers have something similar, if not better than this already to go.

However, a small country that doesn't have the finances or contacts to reach say, the top 30 weapons manufacturers in the U.S. may stumble across something like this on the internet and try to contact the guy.

Most likely though, they would simply have one of there own engineers build it without consulting, so perhaps he won't be a millionaire.

I would buy one just to see the looks on kids faces as they walk up to my door trying to sell me overpriced candy and magazine subscriptions that I will never see. They turn the corner of the walkway, see a funny looking gadget on the porch. They pay it little mind as they ring the doorbell, which triggers the bot to fire at will and unleach hell and fury upon their heads.

All the while I will be inside, laughing through the peephole. Then, one day, the bot will turn and spot me through the peephole and start firing at will on me. I will try to run, slip, fall and break my ***. I will then sure this kid for selling me shoddy paintball bots and become a millionaire off of the lawsuit.

So, you see, it may not make HIM a millionaire, but it can make ME one.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  10. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    That's awesome, I don't know how this won't get produced.

11. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Actually, one use for this in paintball games could be a type of hamburger hill contest. You prop a couple of these up next to each other in opposite directions and have people try to work their way through a maze of obstacles. the last one standing wins.

Kind of like that game on American Gladiators, except without having a target to shoot back at. Or a really really small moving one so that they can shoot as well.

Perhaps you mirror it and have a paintball gun at various stages with only a couple of paintballs at each station. Players have to run to those stations, load the gun and fire at a target while this insane autobot fires on them mercilessly. You win if you hit the target without get shallacked?

Could be fun.

12. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

I dont see a purpose for it. as for producing it as a weapon, it will never happen. this is not anywhere close to some of the prototypes . kimber and black water firearms already have.

13. charlestonphan

Mar 22, 2008
    true, BUT the distinction here is that this guy made this thing on a shoestring budget, whereas the folks who designed the ones currently deployed cost millions upon millions of dollars in Research and Development.

14. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Good point, but this design would obviously still need to go through it's own massive R&D phase for for it to be weaponized.

I will give him credit for what he pulled off though, this is a smart kid for sure. I personally feel he is more likely to become rich by getting a great job than he will by profiting from this specific device.

calphin likes this.
  15. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    There is one major problem for this device in a paintball scenario. It is easily defeated.

if you figure out how to draw fire from it at a difficult angle allowing for wind speed and obstructions, it will empty it's hopper in short order.

The hopper that it seems to have is a standard 200 to 250 ball hopper.

Tactics and a smart field planner would be better to defend a perimeter than this device.

it is a cool gadget though.