1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(VIDEO) ESPN's AFC East Blogger James Walker talks about Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, May 19, 2013.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    [video=youtube;sBwnmJpVB4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBwnmJpVB4U[/video]

Seems like folks are high on Tannehill. Not so sure that I agree that Wallace believes he has better arm strength than Roethlisberger, but I am not catching balls from them, either.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Big Ben is more or less modern day Culpepper. Big guy who can avoid sacks and heave it deep, but not much else. If Tannehill isnt better than the vastly overrated Ben Roethlisberger we will have serious issues.

3. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I disagree with this, but not getting into a discussion about it.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Rothlisberger is not overrated. It's possible Tannehill is stronger arm, but everything boils down to accuracy on the long pass. His stats that were mentioned certainly speaks to his potential.

you give any starting QB better weapons, he can significantly increase his performance. Hell, look at the worst QB in the league - Sanchez. He was respectable when he had Thomas Jones, a good blocking Oline and a good WR corps, including a young healthy Keller.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Rothlesberger does things that don't show up in that stat dept.

6. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Thanks for the vid clip Colmax enjoyed it. Wallace saying Tannehill has a strong arm is just what we should like hearing knowing he has been playing with Big Ben.

I'll take that every day over Marshall saying he needs a real QB.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

That analysis was remarkably shallow. He seemed to hit on as many buzzwords as possible. I was shocked that he didn't say "seam-busting tight end".

8. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    What makes Big Ben is his clutch play. Ability to shirk sacks away and make a big play. That's a significant feature. He does have a big arm as well. Don't think RT is as strong.

I do think RT has a quicker release. So in some instances the ball will get there faster.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    yup..individual playmaking ability.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    First of all, I seriously hope this ends people saying Ryan needs to work on his deep ball accuracy, considering he was 3rd in the league in completion percentage of passes 20+ yards and a mere 2 tenths of a percentage point behind Peyton Manning at #2.

Secondly, I hope this opens some people's eyes as to why biased observation doesn't always tell the whole story. I mean there's quite a few fans who've said Tanny's deep ball is bad because he overthrew poor WRs, yet he's 3rd in the league.

Lastly, let this also be an excellent lesson for the way national media can work.
    We've all heard the interview where Wallace compares Tannehill to Big Rape. He just pointed out that they were both WRs first and both have strong arms, with Tanny's being a little stronger. The host of the show, comes out saying Wallace said Ryan and Big Rape's game play is similar. He was corrected by the AFC East reporter, but it was still an oversimplification of what Wallace said, specifically designed not for accuracy but for buzz. That's why we must always be leery.

HULKFish and Ohio Fanatic like this.