1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

View from the seats

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Coral Reefer, Sep 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I wasn't going to attend this game but the allure of a primetime opening night game against the hated Jets caused me to bend over and get gouged on Stub Hub for some seats.

Made the trip down from Tampa excited and went away dissapointed but hopeful as well.

First off, at this point, the Jets are just a better team bottom line IMO. They are talented, they outschemed us and they outperformed us in critical periods of the game. Also, as much as I hate to say it, Sanchez looks like he's going to be a real good one.
    The guy made good quick reads, made good decisions and delivered the ball pretty accurately.

On to the Phins:
    What a differenece a week makes.
    This is the Dolphins team we expected to see prior to the season.
    A team that had improved it's offense into a potent one but a defense with problems in the secondary and with generating a pass rush.

What happened to our D?

Our Secondary:
    I can tell you from watching the game from the 2nd row of the upper deck that the secondary was flat out confused on numerous plays throughout the game just from the presnap formations. Many times you could see the secondary guys talking, pointing, switching positions etc. Shotty called a fantastic game against us and really disguised what he was doing.

Our Pass rush:
    Sanchez had ALL day to throw out there tonight. There were times when our 4 man rush didn't even push in the pocket a little let alone crush it. Really dissapointing. Again, I think Shotty had a hand in this by spreading us out in obvious passing downs which didn't allow Nolan to initiate some of his blitz packages. THe Jets out prepared our staff.

Question:
    How do we always seem to give a consistent underachieving big game WR a breakout game? We have a long history of this. tonight we made Braylon Edwards look like TO in his prime and you all know Edwards will dissapear the rest of the season into obscurity. Yeesh.

The defense showed tonight exactly why we were all worried about it going into the season.

One big positive on D:
    Dansby.

This guy is a dominating ILB against the run. He singlehandedly stuffed the Jets hopes of gashing the middle. I don't know how many tackles he had but I can tell you he was either blowing up OL or RB's every time I saw them test the middle. Big time acquisition that is paying off.

Offense:

Henne was phenomenal. So promising to see the kid shine.
    All the WR's played well.
    The fact that we hadn't been utilizing Bess up to this point is a crime. The guy is money.
    THe OL did a great job overall.

The only complaint I have has been mentioned on here quite a bit.... Henning.

How do you move the ball so well and get an offense into such a rhythm only to break that rhythm with our famous gimmick package? THe wildcat KILLED 3 drives tonight. It was silly and ridiculous to call that package in the instances Henning did tonight. THe package needs to be shelved and only brought out in games where the regular offense isn't producing and needs a changeup to give it a spark. Henning needs to quit the cute crap when the meat and potatoes are working.

Red Zone calls.
    How do we go from being so conservative that we only throw a handful of times one week to throwing 3 straight times on 1st and goal? :lol:
    Henning needs to be checked for bipolar disorder.

Overall he called a good game but at crucial times he laid an egg.
    Being able to finish drives at crucial times in a game is essential.
    The Jets did, we didn't.

The question many of us were asking last week, is it a distrust of Henne or a problem with our OC was answered for me tonight.

Overall though I'm very encouraged with our offense.

Special Teams:

Our Special Teams are ATROCIOUS!
    Just another thing to hate Wanny for.
    We've never been the same since letting Westhoff go.
    Watching from above you can really see how easily these guys get completely blown out of their lanes on coverage. Pathetic.
    Special teams was just as big a negative influence on this game as our confused D and the Wildcat calls were.

Best thing I noticed tonight:

Our fans
    Tonight was the lowest percentage of Jet fans I've ever seen at a Phins home game V. the Jets. The fans kept their tix and came out in force.
    It was electric and a see of Orange.

Worst part about tonight:
    The fact that the fans showed up as strong as I've ever seen for a Jets/Phins game and they were let down.

I'll finish my view from the seats with something that never fails any time I attend a Jets game. I ALWAYS come away with a new glaring example of what jackarses Jet fans are.

Standing in the consessions concourse before the game even starts my friend and I are standing innocently talking to each other drinking a beer.

Up walks a Jet fan drunk off his butt already, puts his arm around us and says:
    He then started to walk off. I asked him to repeat himself and to my surprise he turned around and came back to repeat it.

The lack of class, ignorance and rudeness of this group of people never ceases to amaze me. They can all go get bent.

2. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    We cant go on hating on Wanny. My god, brother, that was what, 6 seasons ago? Is MW the only guy who can coach in this league?

Our mistakes, shortcomings, liabilities, etc, etc (and there are many) are this coaching staffs, and this coaching staffs alone. Perhaps if they hadnt blown Draft picks on Merling, White, Turner, Murphy, Nalbone, and hadnt signed losers like Wilson, Wilford, cut productive players like Roth, we might be better.

We need to get better. In all areas. This team is lacking. And I dont think its very well coached. But we'll see against NE.

3. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Lack of pass rush and poor execution/play calling in the red zone lost us that game at the end of the day.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

No he isn't, but we've made no attempts at improving our STs since that time. I have to agree with Reefer, not that we let him go so much, but that we always had decent STs with him....since he was let go....it ain't happening... Fault to Sparano for not improving the coaching on that aspect of the game...

5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I have to agree on nearly all your points, Reefer....bottom line is we left this one on the field and in January, we'll be wishing we had it to do over again...

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly CR, you saw what the TV audience saw.

The Jets ST blocking unit was mowing down Dolphins on every return.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It was dissapointing...the crowd was ready, but could never trust..

Henning has issue's..Iam completely confused as to his thought process on 2nd and goal at the 2...considering the clock, you gotta step back, gather your thought's, realize its a 3 down situation, and call 3 play's that pick up those 2 stinkin yard's...I think it show's a huge fundamental flaw.

Your best player, your identity, is standing at 315 lbs in a stupid orange jersey, let him save himself some manpride, and run the ball behind your best player..

If you spread them out, and give ronnie 3 strait direct play's, no BS, your gonna have yourself a TD, and at the least, way better chances of success.

8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The Westhoff curse continues.