1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vitamins and Over-doing it. Absorption vs Waste.

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Sethdaddy8, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I know there are some folks here with a real grasp of health and physiology.
    I've been trying to eat better and take my vitamins. However, I'm not taking traditional multis. Im taking the whole food greens supplements. Its a combo of things like spirulina, wheat grass, and a bunch of other green goodness type superfoods. I also take extra pure wheat grass capsules. Then I take fish oil, vitamin c, and a dark berry capsule(acai, blueberry, and others).

The Greens capsules recommend taking 5 pills up to 3 times a day. I know myself and I know I will only take these things consistently if I do it just once a day. I just won't get around to it later on. So rather than taking 15 a day spread out, I take 8 at once.

Question, am I overdoing it? Now the concern isn't health related, but cost related. These things get pricey! Am I just peeing away most of these wholefood vitamins, or are they getting absorbed properly anyway...simply because they don't sit in your stomach like a rock like centrum. Am I getting full absorption when poppin 8?

Also, I am not exactly a tiny guy. The bottle recommends one amount. But what my system could handle, say compared to my little wife...isn't really the same I would think.

So, any and all thoughts are appreciated.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Honestly, the ONLY way to find the ultimate dosage is to periodically take your blood throughout the day and analyze.

Of course, nobody can do that.
    I will say that for me, I feel better and process better if I take periodically throughout the day.
    I also take fish oil, along with creatine, but I take 3-4 spread throughout the entire day.
    It is fact your body will only absorb so much at a time, and then after that, you do indeed pee it away.

What that exact dose is? Many factors come into play as well.
    Size, which you already eluded to.
    Metabolizm.
    Caloric entake.
    Calories burned.
    Routine
    Schedule.
    Etc etc.

I go back to the same thing.
    Listen to your body.
    If I have been lifting heavy, I take a little more creatine, and I do indeed notice recovery time is shortened.
    Take notes of things you are trying to achieve, and take notice of what you have/have not been doing to get there.

Sorry for the vague answer, but the truth on this is kindve vague IMO

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  3. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    thanks az, im just trying to get healthy, and get energy.better inner health, boosted immune system and subsequent better energy and more energy to spend at work and the gym. get those nutrients that my normal eating doesnt cover.

4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Seth.... finish up the capsule form and switch to the powder version that you mix with water so that it's absorbed and utilized as it's going through your digestive system. If this is all you're taking, then you're still leaving some important essentials out.

With all the health questions, I created a thread in the Health section COMPLETELY addresses it all (including your concerns). Just mark this post as the best answer and go over to that threat for your answers. LOL. :lol:

It's pretty in depth, so if you have any questions about it, just send me a message.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  5. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    thanks man. i know myself though, its one of my strengths in life. and i know i wont take powder form. i just wont do it consistently. i need to make things as hassle free as possible. im that type of guy. but im interested to hear about the other supps, and and what not.