Volcano

38 replies

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew MemberOP
Aug 11, 2008, 08:05 AM

OK. I just saw some news that a volcano in my area spewed off some gas in the last day or two. The last time it did it, it dusted my car back in Oct '04. Not a big deal, but worthy of noticing when mother nature throws dirt at you from the sky.

For those of you who are interested, here's some links to the cameras watching Mount Asama:

http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/camera_map/

If you click on the red dots it'll bring up the camera pictures. The link at the top shows it in video form, at the bottom brings the calendar up to view previous days.

Example:
If you click on the red dot to the left and closest to the mouth of the volcano, you get the below link:
http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/sakuken/

The video at the top for August 11th for that camera:
http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/sakuken/html/20080811l.html

The calendar for that camera:
http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/sakuken/

If you have any volcano stories, please feel free to post them in this thread. I'm sure there's some folks out there who experienced the Mount Pinatubo devastation in the Phillipines back in the early 90s who might want to share.

From:
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/national/news/20080811p2a00m0na006000c.html

Mount Asama emits volcanic fumes for 1st time in 4 years
Mount Asama, which stands over Gunma and Nagano prefectures, emitted volcanic fumes on Sunday for the first time in four years, the Meteorological Agency said.

An observation camera set up by the agency caught Mount Asama shooting up volcanic fumes to about 400 meters above its crater at around 2:35 a.m. on Sunday.

"The volcanic activity is feared to continue. We'd like people to be careful of volcanic embers and ash," an agency official said.

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Aug 12, 2008, 10:39 AM

There's a new camera up at the lip of the cauldron if anyone is interested. It went up yesterday. Nothing spectacular, just gas coming up from the depths.

http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/eri_kakoe/

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Aug 12, 2008, 11:10 AM

Stay safe brother

How close to this are you?


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Aug 12, 2008, 05:12 PM

"like2god wrote:

Stay safe brother

How close to this are you?

Close enough to get dusted, but not close enough for worry. The below massively long link shows how far away I am.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=2617770966239097099,36.400000,138.516667&saddr=Mount+Asama+%4036.400000,138.516667&daddr=35.745955,139.347839&mra=mi&mrsp=1&sz=11&date=08%2F11%2F08&time=8:38pm&ttype=dep&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=time&sll=35.753199,139.345093&sspn=0.391739,0.598755&ie=UTF8&ll=36.022447,139.00177&spn=1.561599,2.39502&z=9&start=0

As I said before, there's no warnings up and it's barely being reported in the news at all. I just happened to run into a side article that mentioned it and I hit the web cams site like I did back in 2004 simply because we got dusted back then--had to wash the gunk off the car.

The new camera next to the cauldron indicates that there's someone interested in what's going on up there geologically, but so far no real news.

There a quite a few folks who live very close to this volcano, so I believe that if there were something big about to happen, someone would say something and evacuations would happen.

That's simply not the case at the moment and this is mainly just of interest to anyone who happens to like looking at steaming volcanoes.

Thanks for your concern.

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Sep 16, 2008, 09:08 AM

Mount Asama. Still Smokin' but causing no problems.

This one is 30 minutes ago from the same camera as the one above this pic:

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Sep 16, 2008, 09:11 AM

How would you like to be the guy installing the camera????:unsure:

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Sep 16, 2008, 09:19 AM

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:

How would you like to be the guy installing the camera????:unsure:

The camera's been up there a while. I'm wondering if there's a permanent power-line up the slope or if someone has to go up and change out batteries every few weeks or something.

Not a job I would want with all the sulphur and nasty gasses about.

Big EBig ENew Member
Sep 17, 2008, 12:04 AM

Just throw a virgin in the volcano.....

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Sep 24, 2008, 10:35 AM

These are withing the last 20 minutes.

Unusual since it's 1130PM here right now.

Big EBig ENew Member
Sep 24, 2008, 11:10 AM

HOw far do yo live from this thing?

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Oct 30, 2008, 09:37 AM

"enforcerfin33 wrote:

HOw far do yo live from this thing?

See post #4. It has a link to a map and everything.

Looks like it was a bit more active today.

EDIT: Removed RED X Link. The volcano is 65 miles NNW of here.

Big EBig ENew Member
Oct 30, 2008, 09:39 AM

So you have enough time to get away from that thing if it erupts correct?

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Oct 30, 2008, 09:50 AM

"enforcerfin33 wrote:

So you have enough time to get away from that thing if it erupts correct?

I'm far enough away where I don't have to worry about running away. I probably would have to clean up so ash and wear a facemask or something but I don't think I'm close enough to have large rocks rain down on me or anything.

Then again...I've never been around a volcano when it's throwing up big rocks, so...

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Feb 1, 2009, 04:42 PM
NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Feb 1, 2009, 04:52 PM

"TokyoFishFan wrote:

Had a nice one last night. Made the news finally.

http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/tonesabo/

2am shots
http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/maechan2/

:eek:

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Feb 1, 2009, 05:07 PM

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:

:eek:

No worries. Just a little volcanic dust on my car this morning.

Off to work!

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Feb 2, 2009, 04:44 AM

A nice video clip for you:

http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/maechan2/html/2009020202m.html

Lots of volcanic dust in the air today. I took some pics of my car with some dust on it that I'll upload later.
Most of the problems today are for folks with breathing issues. Although I do say I'm glad I work inside as I wouldn't have wanted to breathe that mess today.

EDIT:
Better Video:
http://bousai.maechan.net/volcano/asama/maechan/html/2009020202m.html

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 2, 2009, 04:56 AM

There's one erupting in Alaska as well; it's causing the Air Force to evacuate planes and personnel to McChord AFB here in WA.

And we had a 4.5 earthquake near Seattle a few mornings ago.

It's The Apocalypse, I tell you.

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Feb 2, 2009, 05:13 AM

"NaboCane wrote:

There's one erupting in Alaska as well; it's causing the Air Force to evacuate planes and personnel to McChord AFB here in WA.

And we had a 4.5 earthquake near Seattle a few mornings ago.

It's The Apocalypse, I tell you.

I had heard there was one about to blow in Alaska. Link?
Now we just have to hope Yellowstone doesn't join in the mix. The ground has been shaking quite a bit there of late.

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 2, 2009, 05:23 AM

"TokyoFishFan wrote:

I had heard there was one about to blow in Alaska. Link?
Now we just have to hope Yellowstone doesn't join in the mix. The ground has been shaking quite a bit there of late.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hcWJaxwgurm_TV9AVcObQBWbS25QD961D1MO0

Alaskans brace for Redoubt Volcano eruption

By DAN JOLING – 3 days ago
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Hardware stores and auto parts shops scored a post-holiday run of business this week as Anchorage-area residents stocked up on protective eyewear and masks ahead of a possible eruption of Mount Redoubt.
Monitoring earthquakes underneath the 10,200-foot Redoubt Volcano about 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, scientists from the Alaska Volcano Observatory warned that an eruption was imminent, sending experienced Alaskans shopping for protection against a dusty shower of volcanic ash that could descend on south-central Alaska.

YouTube - Mount Redoubt Volcano Likely to Erupt in Alaska

YouTube - Mt. Redoubt Volcano Using Max Viz Infrared

NaboCaneNaboCaneNew Member
Feb 2, 2009, 05:35 AM

"TokyoFishFan wrote:

I had heard there was one about to blow in Alaska. Link?
Now we just have to hope Yellowstone doesn't join in the mix. The ground has been shaking quite a bit there of late.

That Yellowstone volcano is scary.

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 10:02 PM

"NaboCane wrote:

That Yellowstone volcano is scary.

Agreed. I hope yellowstone doesn't ever erupt ina major way.

Things here have gotten better since the initial ash dumping (see pics--my car is on the right).

There was about another 5 or 6 hours of ash floating through the air after the pics were taken.

I stayed inside for most of the day.

While the mountain is still steaming (see any of the above posted links), it's not spewing out ash into the air at this point.

We're hoping it settles down, but volcanos are a bit unpredictable.

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 10:04 PM

how far is it from the university?

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

Big EBig ENew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 10:07 PM

Those are the smallest cars I have ever seen...

TokyoFishFanTokyoFishFanNew Member
Feb 6, 2009, 10:33 PM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

how far is it from the university?

University? Which one?

EDIT: If you mean, The Univeristy of Miami, between 7,456 and 7,459 miles according to Google map.