1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vontae Davis given up rec. on 10/11 tgts for 143 yards & 2 TDs.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by gladsadmad, Sep 18, 2012.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Wow...that's pretty bad to say the least.

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm all for the trade but I'm not sure it's fair to judge him on what he's done so far.

3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Even Grandma would not approve.He obviously has issues which this regime has detected and which they dont have the patience to overlook .I suspect its the same issues he has always had even when he was drafted.There were plenty of warning signals among the scouts.

xphinfanx likes this.
  4. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    If were judging players on a 2 game sample size Drew Brees has thrown 4 picks and has a 71.6 passer rating. So he's clearly a bum.

gunn34, dolfan32323, smahtaz and 2 others like this.
  5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    In a new system on a new team? Why not look to see what he did while here to judge him.

6. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Who gives a sh*t? We need to worry about Smith, Carroll and Clemons.

Trowa, xphinfanx, HULKFish and 11 others like this.
  7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Carroll's PFF coverage rating for the first two games combined is worse than Davis's rating. I will say though, I don't know how they arrived at that, because Carroll has a lower passer rating. There are other factors, I've just never heard what they are. I'd presume they are watching all 22 film of the games and looking at times when coverage is so close they QB doesn't even attempt a pass. That would not be reflected in passer rating into coverage of a given player.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  8. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    He got thrown into a new system with new players around him a week before the season. But clearly his first 2 weeks is a good barometer of how talented he is or not...

Starry31 likes this.
  9. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    What we can say is that his play so far is inconsistent with the belief that he was developing into being a better player, and consistent with the Dolphins' coaches' belief that he was not starter material and should be traded for the right price.

He's done nothing so far to suggest the former is true, and the latter is untrue. Whether that continues to be the case remains to be seen, but right now we can indeed say this.

10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I think its unfair to judge him at this point in the season. He was traded before the final week of preseason? Not a whole lot of time to get acclimated with your new team.

11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It's perfectly fine to discuss former players. Especially ones we just traded for a second round pick. Not like Jeff Ireland isn't being judged on it.

Your username is Mcduffie81, after a guy whose been gone a decade. ;)

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  12. Mcduffie81

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I never said anything about that.

It's just that the reason this topic is being discussed.....again....is not only inflamatory, but extremely premature.

MrClean likes this.
  13. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I have to question anyone that thinks this secondary is better today than it would be with Davis on board. What if Marshall is really hurt and misses time?

14. MrClean

Oh, not to worry young man. Some of the fine fair folks here apparently believe RJ Stanford is about equal in ability to Davis. Or so I recall one of the Ireland defense team posting in the past week or so.

15. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Do you think Davis would be playing better for us than he is for the Colts?

16. Mcduffie81

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    It's an enormous possibility! What do you think given the circumstances?

17. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes. We are hurt at depth at corner. Even as a nickle corner he is better than Carrol.

But hey we got a high pick for him and he may never actually "get it" but for the now it hurts.

18. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    We aren't missing Davis at this point man.

19. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Will you be saying once we play some actual teams that can throw the ball?

MrClean likes this.
  20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol..

So much for jimmy playin safety..?

Is Marshall playin this week.?

21. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    On a rebuilding team, I'd sure rather have a 2nd-round pick than a player who's playing the way Vontae Davis is right now.

Imagine it like this: we trade our 2nd-round pick for a corner on another team who's third on its depth chart, and he comes in here and plays the way Davis is.

Do you honestly think you'd be feeling good about that move?

xphinfanx, MarinoMan13 and Trackstar like this.
  22. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I don't buy the new system would Ed Reed or Darrel Revis need to acclimate into a new system DB CB FS ? After all it's his profession and whats different man to man or zone? It is a new group of men around him but he is suppose to be a pro at it. I say his mind isn't in it like it should be.

23. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    While that is true, the thing that sticks in my mind was the improvement the Dolphins made relative to their pass efficiency defense last year over the final half of the season. During the first half, Miami was 30th in the NFL in pass efficiency defense and DVOA. Over the 2nd half, Miami was 3rd in the NFL. The biggest difference between the two halves is that Vontae missed 4 games and part of another game in the first half and played in every game over the second half.

The ability and the impact is there. The question is tapping it and getting it to come out on a consistent basis.

So far, a difference has been made. The Dolphins without Vontae are 26th in the NFL in Pass defense DVOA this year. Now, with the way he is playing, they probably would not have been better with him this year. However, our ability to defend the pass is in serious question. I think it is mostly on the safeties, but we definitely need someone that can give us what Vontae gave us on a inconsistent basis and do it consistently without the professionalism issues.

shouright likes this.
  24. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    There'd be at least 20 people saying it was a good move.

25. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    And I'll agree with that 100 percent.

In the meantime, on a rebuilding team, I'll take the 2nd-round pick, and perhaps even that can be the consistently good corner we both believe we need, who has the personality makeup to contribute to the professionalism Philbin appears to want as the cornerstone of his team culture.

26. MrClean

I think it's shortsighted to say that. Wait to see how the season plays out and Davis has a higher PFF coverage rating than Smith or Carroll do.

27. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I think by the end of the season you'll think Jeff Ireland raped the Colts, because I think Vontae Davis's psychological issues are going to get in the way of any further improvement on his part.

He probably won't finish the season doing as poorly as he is now, but I also don't think he'll finish the season making anybody want to trade back the 2nd-round pick for him.