1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wake UP Burke

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Walter, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Burke View:

" Rivers completed 31-of-39 passes for 331 yards, with a quarterback rating of 110.6.....(wow)

And that, Burke figured, has to change.....................(no ? really)

“Opposing offenses are not going to want to deal with our pass rush,” Burke said. “I think the message to the back-end guys, that’s linebackers and DB’s, is that we have to challenge throws better on the outside part of the field and match up our underneath progressions just a little bit tighter. I think it was pretty clear.”

Hate to toot my own novice horn BUT, Like I've been saying all this season "DB's should at least be in the same area code as WR's.
    Its so friggin clear !!!, we play way way to far off the receivers. Oh and DB's here's another clue a tackle in the endzone after the catch is a waste of time.....

I hope to god Burke and Gase don't take 3-4 games to figure out that our DB's have to play much much much tighter coverage..... And we might be surprised at actually getting off the field after 3 dn....

Tin Indian, dolphin25 and Bpk like this.
  2. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Yo
    You are absolutely right, it took us about 3 or 4 games to get that fixed last year as well. DBs playing way off giving up easy completions.

They played tighter this game, but then we got beat over the top with the deep throw against verner. Our cornerbacks suck, even xavian howard who some idiots were calling a shut down corner before the season is stinking it up.

And our linebackers continue to be unable to cover anybody even if their life depended on it.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Its like that movie "Ground hog day",seen this pattern so often, DB's should have been visiting Pittsburgh with Timmons, and I'm still wondering how long its going to take our crack staff of coaches and wonder boy to figure out that our DB's need to be in the same area code as the WR's. But then we were up against that outstanding HOF, QB of the Jets Oh I forgot his name.....what did he miss 5 passes....... (his WR actually dropped a few too).

Tin Indian likes this.
  4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yeah, but our starting LB unit right now is Kiko (who's a starter in this league for sure), Chase Allen, and Mike Hull.

What do you really expect?

I think it's important to remember the shape this roster has been in the last few years prior to this staff getting here.

I also think we're missing Lippett more than we, or at least I thought we would.

Verner... man that's a tough spot to put him in. If im not mistaken that was his first play of the game, he's man to man with a guy whos bigger (Taller) and faster than him, and he apparently has no help over the top (unless a S blew it)... that's a pretty tough assignment, especially considering the fact that (IIRC) he didn't play a snap last week either.

dolphin25 and Bpk like this.
  5. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017

Ya, Miami Dolphins are consistent in the unprepared department. After all these years you'd think we'd be farther along than we are....

Your right it is silly to expect competency when every year we end up behind an 8-ball of some sort..... Lippett, lol ya now theres our answer he'd be in there 3-4-5- yrds off the WR too and looking inept like the rest of them....Lippett......

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Yes verner was in a bad spot, but I think that play was more nate allen's fault. He was very late coming over to help. You cant expect verner to cover a speedster like anderson with one on one press coverage and not give him help over the top. Thats either terrible play calling by burke or a bad play by allen not providing help.

Allen was playing pretty bad this game and was replaced by micheal thomas in the second half.

brandon27 likes this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    verners assignment was to press right??...if so then pressing involves getting your hands on the receiver and stacking his azz, he did no such thing...his fault..not good enough...play the rookie.

8. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    How many times are we gonna blitz Reshead Jones and have it be completely ineffectual?

resnor likes this.
  9. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Not as many times as we run ineffectual WR screens. Can someone please break in to the coaches office and rip that page out of the playbook. Please. Maybe Suh and Wake could give Gase atomic wedgies everytime he calls it.

Tin Indian, dolphin25 and hitman8 like this.
  10. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    they allowed 20 points.

11. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    And stayed on the field forever.

dolphin25 likes this.
  12. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    good point.
    lack of pass rush and inability to block are two quick death tolls

Redwine4all likes this.
  13. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    on the field forever cause they weren't stopping the team.

Ive been screaming about the 7-10 yards off the ball thing for years. You are playing against an average QB and you are GIVING him windows to throw to.

Tin Indian and Redwine4all like this.
  14. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Our defense didn't lose the game for us yesterday. Our offense did.

Tin Indian likes this.
  15. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017

Man I'm with you 100%...

One of the shocking things is seeing our so called coverage from our DB's in different Area codes and not seemingly even recognized by our coaching staff (game after game year after year)..... Its been going on for friggin years with the occasional inconsistent tightening. Damn These guys are suppose to be professional coaches and yet this basic football 101 reality constantly goes over their heads. Its beyond frustrating every week to see the DB's start off the game with this kind of lack of coverage.

Wonder sometimes if the coaches actually review the games. We were unbelievably handed our lunch by Todd Bowells and was one of the most unprepared for games Ive seen us play in a while.... Gee OL problems now theres a shocker......

Oh ya I'm calling this Our Bye weekend

Tin Indian likes this.