Wake's deal cheaper than we thought...
10 replies
As usual, the numbers were inflated. The deal is even friendlier than we originally thought...
Wake’s deal has a base value of only $33.8 million
Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
As usual, initial reports of the value of the contract between the Dolphins and linebacker Cameron Wake were higher than reality.Described on Sunday as a $49 million contract with $20 million guaranteed, we’ve gotten our mitts on the deal. And, as expected, it’s not as strong as advertised.
Cutting through the fog (yeah, we like to tie in the pictures when we can), here’s what Wake will get:
1. Signing bonus of $7 million.
2. Fully-guaranteed base salary of $615,000 in 2012.
3. Fully-guaranteed base salary of $3.565 million in 2013.
4. Fully-guaranteed base salary of $5.82 million in 2014.
5. Base salary of $8.2 million in 2015, $3 million of which is guaranteed for injury only for now. If Wake if on the roster on the fifth day of the 2015 league year, the $3 million becomes guaranteed for skill and injury.
6. Base salary of $8.275 million in 2016.
7. Workout bonuses of $50,000 in 2012, $50,000 in 2013, $65,000 in 2014, $100,000 in 2015, and $125,000 in 2016.
8. Up to $5 million in escalators for 2014, 2015, and 2016 based on sacks.
It adds up to $17 million in fully-guaranteed money upon signing, and a base value of $33.865 million.
The deal goes to $48.865 million only if Wake hits the full amount of every escalator. There’s no guarantee he won’t, but there’s also no guarantee he will. And even if he does, the money isn’t guaranteed.
And with cap numbers closing in on $10 million for each of the final two seasons of the five-year deal, there’s also a good chance it will ultimately be a three-year deal with a base value of $17.165 million.
2 yrs. $11M essentially. Not much different than if he were to get the franchise tag after this season, other than his payments being spread out.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"Stringer Bell wrote:
2 yrs. $11M essentially. Not much different than if he were to get the franchise tag after this season, other than his payments being spread out.
2014 is also guranteeed.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
2014 is also guranteeed.
Correct, didn't notice that. 3yrs/~$17M. Probably still as cheap as you could hope for though.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
I hate Jeff Ireland!
...figured I'd save you the trouble, Lucky. :shifty:
And worth every penny, you know what really boggles the mind, workout bonuses for Nfl players, and the fact that a lot of them can't even take their training serious for 50 to 100 k a year, what a joke.

nice article by Ben as well... shows the cap hits for each year potentially.
Wake's salary cap numbers from 2012 to 2016 will be (in millions): $2.2, $5.0, $7.3, $9.7, $9.8. The Dolphins now have about $5.5 million in cap space this year, giving Ireland enough room to sign the rookie class (about $2 million) and give another contract extension if he so chooses (Jake Long is at the top of his list).
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
"djphinfan wrote:
And worth every penny, you know what really boggles the mind, workout bonuses for Nfl players, and the fact that a lot of them can't even take their training serious for 50 to 100 k a year, what a joke.
Its life. When you are on a huge wage and your lifestyle matches it then so does the mentality to some professional sportsmen when its expected. It happens alot. Wake came up through the ranks and has earned it. I was rooting for Wake from day 1. He has never let me down. Cameron Wake is like us guys. Hes earned it by hard work and hes living the dream.

"djphinfan wrote:
And worth every penny, you know what really boggles the mind, workout bonuses for Nfl players, and the fact that a lot of them can't even take their training serious for 50 to 100 k a year, what a joke.
Wouldn't it be nice to get paid to work out.
That's why they play the games!:yes:
"xphinfanx wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice to get paid to work out.
Right...geez..
How many players in this league have not lived up to the talent for which they were born with..how much money are these fools leaving on the table because their lazy, uneducated, and don't have the determination too educate themselves..Its truly pathetic, and owners are being scammed.

"xphinfanx wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice to get paid to work out.
You get paid with better health! :)
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty