1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wallace Interview

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Limbo, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    4 weeks in the books, time to put up. He certainly is talking enough. Glad our other FA WR is stepping it up inside.

Link

2. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Maybe he's being a little selfish, but perhaps he's also saying he can do more (given what they are paying him), AND it will obviously help the team win.

I love how Florio always inserts an opinion at the end. And by love, I mean, despise. Perhaps it's true, but how does Florio know?

slickj101 likes this.
  3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

BIGGEST reason Wallace is struggling:

Except it's ALSO the RBs and TEs not protecting properly.

How do I know this is a major limiter for Wallace's deep ball, big play chances?

Because I just watched every pass Tannehill threw in the New Orleans game and the one play where they designed going deep to Wallace (remember, he dropped it) they kept in 7 men to protect.

What does that tell you? That they think the 5 man Oline will give Tannehill enough time for the deep route to develop? No. It rells you that for the coaches to think a deep ball play has a chance of success we need to keep 7 guys in to block 4 guys.

How often can you do that and still run an offense effectively? Not too often.

If we could protect long enough with 5 or 6 men, you'd see more deep ball opportunities to Wallace. And more completions. Yards. Touchdowns.

Now, is Wallace doing his part? No. He dropped his once chance. But can you blame a guy who rarely sees any deep balls anymore?? He alos ran poor routes on medium distance plays. So Wallace is at fault too.

Larry Little, brandon27 and gunn34 like this.
  4. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I remember when I stated in the offseason that despite my support of the decision to sign Wallace I was worried about how the pass protection could affect his performance and his chemistry with Tannehill. I was told fear not, our quick passing offense would be able to counter our questionable OL....well, Wallace struggling and 18 sacks in 4 games later....

5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    dude needs to catch that ****ing deep ball. you only get 1-2 chances a game to take real shot downfield. we called a max ptotect, got him the ball, and he drops it.

**** him. interview should have been "I better ****ing catch it next time"

cuchulainn, gunn34 and DolfanTom like this.
  6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Technically he didn't drop it.

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I understand the OL isn't performing at a high-level. But Mike Wallace is making $60M. You don't spend $60M on a player who can't contribute when others' aren't performing. When you're paying someone $60M, he needs to be making up for others' shortfalls.

Ophinerated, vizi0n, Paul 13 and 4 others like this.
  8. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Just catch the damn ball.

9. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    TY Hilton climbs over Grimes to catch a nice deep pass.

Wallace.....waits for ball to drop in the basket.

That was so frustrating, but he's always predominantly used his body to catch, instead of his hands. The NO drop was a prime example. He should have climbed and reached for the ball at the high point. But, if you look closer, Tannehill does throw short. Wallace had to slow down or he was gone for 6....easy.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The ball went through his hands. He even had a chance to score if he did catch it.

maynard likes this.
  11. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I never said it didn't go through his hands. But I can assure you he would've been tackled if he caught it. Now, if Tannehill didn't under throw it, it would have been a guaranteed TD if he caught it.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I could not assure you. I have seen plays like that turn into touchdowns.

vizi0n and Stitches like this.
  13. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Either way, he should've caught it, TD or not. No question. But, in my opinion, Tannehill should have thrown a better ball as well.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    While I agree that the ball can be thrown perfectly, however it isn't easy to throw a 40 yard in the air pass to a receiver in stride.

mnfinfan likes this.
  15. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Last year was Wallace's worst year as a WR in the NFL. Yet Ireland felt he was worth all the money he signed him to. Either Wallace has continued to regress as a player or else the coaches have done a terrible job of developing routes to get him more passes.

It is absurd that so many people have accepted that the problem is that Tannehill and Wallace just haven't developed chemistry yet. They appeared to have plenty of chemistry in the Colts game. It is the job of the coaching staff to make sure that the best receiver on the team has more of an impact during games. There have been plenty of WR's who in their first year with their QB's on other teams in the NFL and they haven't been having all this trouble developing this chemistry. This so called lack of chemistry appears to be nothing more than an excuse for lousy game planning on behalf of the coaching staff.

16. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It may not be easy for the average QB, but once you get to be a starting QB in the NFL, it shouldn't be as hard as Tannehill makes it appear to be. In fact I think Matt Moore is a much better deep passer than Tannehill at this time.

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So has the Patriots' coaching staff continually had poor game planning this season? Because the running narrative for them has been Brady's lack of chemistry with all his new WRs. I'm just curious if it is only an excuse for our team but reality for others.

RevRick likes this.
  18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That ball on Monday is about as good as someone can expect a QB to throw a deep ball. If you really think Tannehill is bad at the deep ball I can only surmise that you don't watch a lot of other QBs outside of Dolphin's games. Tannehill may not be the best deep ball thrower in the league, but he's well within the norm (if not better than most).

cuchulainn and unluckyluciano like this.
  19. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Perfectly? Surmising that anything better than what he threw would be perfect is a reach. Roethlesburger converts that for a TD. Not saying Tannehill can't throw the deep ball, but he doesn't know Wallace's speed yet. Kind of evident on that crosser where Tannehill threw behind way Wallace as well.

The chemistry will come. I just hope Wallace behaves until then.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    BS. It is not easy for any quarterback. That was a good pass by Tannehill. It was far enough for the corner to not make a play and, even though he had to slow down, he would have been able to catch it while running.

Matt Moore wouldn't have been able to make a better pass on that play.

cuchulainn and mullingan like this.
  21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Not all the time. I have seen Roethlesburger underthrow or over throw a long pass. It is not a pass that a great quarterback can hit 100% of the time.

Actually, I thought the reason that ball was behind Wallace was because Tannehill thought Wallace would have seen the hole in the zone and stop where he was wide open and Wallace didn't notice the whole or wasn't on the same page.

Tone_E likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    So is that deep ball an actual officially official drop?

I know that when I watched it live it looked like it might have been a little challenged by the DB.

If so it probaby goes as a ninth critical play that lost the Dolphins the game. And you could round out the 10th factor as the fact that our defense failed to force a turnover until it was waaaaay too late.

23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Watching live I thought the DB got a sliver of it, but I never watched a replay in slow mo, so I'm not sure.

24. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The coaching staff for the Patriots obviously haven't done a good enough job of preparing their younger receivers for the NFL. They have been forced to use these young receivers because of injuries to their #1 WR and their #1 TE. These younger WR's obviously weren't ready to have to play full time in the NFL right now, but injuries made it necessary. The coaching staff for the Patriots obviously did a better job last week because the younger receivers for the Patriots played much better in last weeks game.

The Dolphins coaching staff hasn't had the excuse that they were having to use young, inexperienced WR's in the games. Wallace is one of the highest paid players in the NFL and it is up to the coaching staff to figure out a game plan to get him more involved in the offense. They had no problem doing that in the Colts game, but they haven't done so in the other three games.

If it isn't the coaches fault for the lack of Wallace's productivity so far. I guess that means that Wallace really isn't that good anymore and Ireland once again paid too much for a player who is past his prime.

Take your pick.

25. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I really think people over-estimate how often a QB hits a WR deep perfectly in stride. It seems the most common deep balls are throw up and let the WR go get it over the DB. Hilton did this to Grimes - we haven't had a WR that bailed out our QB in years.

Even Hartline - who is better at adjusting to the deep throws, is never able to break the play open when he gets it in his hand.

Other teams seem to have skill players that make plays and get in the end zone. We completely rely on Tannehill to place the ball perfectly and don't expect any additional yardage beyond where he threw it.

CitizenSnips likes this.
  26. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I fail to see how a ball that goes through a WR's breadbasket can in any way be faulted to the QB

cuchulainn likes this.
  27. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I never said Tannehill can't throw the ball deep. he has a great arm but he isn't as accurate on the deep throws as many other QB's in the NFL at this stage of his career. I'm not sure what you consider the norm when it comes to completing deep passes. Tannehill has completed only 3 of 9 passes over twenty yards this season. Geno Smith by comparison has completed 12-21 passes for over 20 yards. In fact the only teams with less 20 or more yards completions are the Chiefs, Jaguars, and Lions.

This year so far, Tannehill has completed less deep passes than 28 other QB's in the NFL. Over his NFL career, he has completed only 23-60 deep passes. This is very mediocre compared to other NFL QB's.
    Hopefully these percentages will improve as Tannehill's career continues, but right now they are not the norm, but quite a bit below the norm in the NFL.

Perhaps it is you who needs to watch other QB's in the NFL, not me.

28. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    He grabbed 9 catches for over a 100yds a week after he blamed the coaches. Tannehill and Sherman got the ball to him. Tannehill passed to him in the Saints game and he showed 2 things. 1. he cant fight for the ball when it hits him on his hands and 2. he isnt running the route his QB thinks he is beit pulling up or seeing a Safety hitting him before the event. Not good enough.

29. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    100%. And this is exactly why he hasn't had a 3 td game. Cause he has to do it by himself every time.

30. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    The two arguments on the board right now seem to be that Tannehill holds the ball too long but also doesn't complete enough passes over 20 yards.

Which makes me think we're having unrealistic expectations of what he should be able to do behind this line and with the WR he's been given.

thisperishedmin likes this.
  31. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    21+ yd passes:
    Peyton Manning- 5/10 (50%)
    Drew Brees - 6/16 (37.5%)
    Matt Ryan - 1/5 (20%)
    Matt Stafford - 2/7 (28.6%)
    Ben Roethlisberger - 6/19 (31.6%)
    Tom Brady - 1/11 (9.1%)
    RG3 - 2/13 (15.4%)
    Philip Rivers - 3/9 (33.3%)
    Matt Schaub - 3/7 (42.9%)
    Eli Manning - 3/11 (27.3%)
    Sam Bradford - 1/8 (12.5%)
    Joe Flacco - 3/18 (16.7%)
    Geno Smith - 9/18 (50%)
    Michael Vick - 5/16 (31.3%)
    Aaron Rodgers - 9/17 (52.9%)
    Tony Romo - 3/6 (50%)
    Carson Palmer - 3/12 (25%)
    Jay Cutler - 6/11 (54.5%)
    Andy Dalton - 3/11 (27.2%)
    Alex Smith - 1/4 (25%)
    Andrew Luck - 1/9 (11.1%)
    Colin Kaepernick - 3/11 (27.2%)
    EJ Manuel - 3/13 (23.1%)
    Russell Wilson - 5/10 (50%)
    Ryan Tannehill - 3/9 (33.3%)

Out of the top 25 QBs this year (by yardage), Tannehill ranks tied for 9th in completion % over 21 yards (with Philip Rivers), but yea, my opinion is way off that he's within the norm for deep passing ability. :rolleyes:

toto, cuchulainn, resnor and 3 others like this.
  32. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Completing >30% of your deep passes is not mediocre. Its well above-average. I'm not sure how in the world you determined what the norm is?

33. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Based on studies I've done in the past I think 30% is very mediocre in the NFL. I wouldn't call that above average.

Thing is if that throw to Wallace really was a drop (I still haven't looked closely at it) then suddenly he's what 4 of 9 and then it's like holy cow 44% accuracy that's really good!

Comes with the whole n=9 thing.

34. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Gotta credit the Saints. We took away Graham and Colston so they went to Sproles. We took away Sproles they went to Graham and Colston. We had Nawlins stuck on 14 going into the half until the killer INT then the dam broke.

I take comfort knowing we won't face another offense like that this season and that Wake will be back shortly.

35. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Here's highlights from NFL.com. The Wallace "drop" is shown late in the video at 2:59 (sorry, I don't know how to crop the rest of the stuff - especially the giddy voice of Heath Evans throughout):

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000253895/Dolphins-vs-Saints-highlights[/video]

I'm calling it a drop. I also think if he catches it... he's gone. Opportunity lost.

36. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    admittedly I dont have any fancy numbers to back it up, but im pretty sure the majority of Geno's INTs have come from the 20+ yard range too. He chucks it up a lot.

37. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    And you can't undersell the momentum swing this would have given. Even if he just catches it and goes down, its a HUGE play and we're on our way.

38. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Who cares about a "drop" He caught 9 in one game. 3 games he hasn't done much. That's what I want to know about. What's it going to take to get him the ball? He had the 9 catches in one game.

39. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Tom Brady sucks and so does Andrew Luck... :shifty:

cuchulainn likes this.
  40. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA

the ball came his way against NO on mnf. The drop was the first offense. later on in the game, tannehill threw it too far behind him. But a WR making 60+ mill still should have caught it. It was still within arms length. And then another later in the game he didn't catch due to the contact by the defender. IIRC it was a short play, maybe 5 yards, but he still didn't catch it due to contact.

So...hes got to be wide open with no contact whatsoever and the ball has to be perfectly thrown every time...

I think I hate Wallace already.