1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wallace, Jones Contract Questions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by STColeridge, Oct 7, 2013.

1. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Does anyone know if there are any "opt outs" of these atrocious contracts these two signed?

Both of these guys combined aren't worth the money either one of them are getting individually. If there is an opt out, we need to take it. Otherwise, its going to be another situation of being in salary cap hell soon, paying big money to underachievers.

I understand why we did both contracts. It was logical to spend the most money on the biggest FA WR available. We were desperate. We made a desperate move. Now its obvious that Wallace isn't worth 30 million over 6 years, much less 60 million.

Jones--again, I get why you want to tie up your own players early. Problem is, he's marginal. He was a sixth round pick and plays like it--with occasional glimpses. But for the most part in the passing game, find who he is covering and he'll catch the pass for big yards.

We may be stuck with both of these guys and there is no out for us. With the Fins luck, I almost expect it. But Dawn Aponte has publicly driven a hard bargain with two first round draft picks...hopefully she did with these two FAs as well and we can cut bait.

2. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    you don't know what you're talking about.

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Wallace has essentially a two-year contract, they can get rid of him with limited damage after that point. If he's going to play like this though, they need to come up with some sort of other arrangement, like see if he won't agree to some sort of restructure that will get him out of here.

Reshad Jones I'm not too worried about yet.

The Rev likes this.
  4. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I love how Wallace is a huge goat, yet no one says a peep about the huge drop Hartline had or the drop Gibson had where he was wide open on a 3rd down and would have pranced into the endzone.

5. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

I really wish we would have won going into the bye so I wouldn't have to look at threads like this for the next 2 weeks.

Wyvern_Bob, Ducken and brandon27 like this.
  6. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Wallace had as many drops as the rest of the team together yesterday.

STColeridge likes this.
  7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    He also had more yards.

8. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    He also made one of the only big plays on offense.

Hartline and Gibson had drops that were just as big, and in Gibson's case, much bigger than anything Wallace did.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    They are both cheaper, have less expectations, and both have come through more this year than Wallace.

STColeridge likes this.
  10. Dolfan330

Dolfan330 My wein is so chaffed...

Jan 25, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jones has made 2 huge plays thus far this season. He scored yesterday and had a big hit on Julio Jones to break up a first down pass in a critical point. Both plays gave us chances to win.m

Wallace has underperformed but his presence has helped out our other receivers. His drops are frustrating to watch, but he's had some missed opportunities to score due to poorly placed throws as well. The potential is there once he and Tanny get in synch.

Im glad both guys are on our team.

Ducken and jboogie like this.
  11. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    So what? He was thrown at 16 times. There's no planet where getting 7 receptions for 105 yards when you're thrown the ball that many times is a good game. He left more yardage on the field than that long reception got him.

Mainge and STColeridge like this.
  12. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    That long play also would've been a TD if RT had thrown it deeper.

Walalce also had to play defense on a couple other poorly placed balls.

jdang307, GMJohnson and STColeridge like this.
  13. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So forget about the Gibson drop, which was far worse than anything Wallce did, because he makes less money. Ok.

GMJohnson likes this.
  14. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Wallace doesn't fail the team, the team fails Mike Wallace.

15. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Thats why I asked the question. I dont know if there is anything we can do.

maynard likes this.
  16. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Thanks. Well, if we can at least jettison Wallace...thats the bigger problem anyway. We may have to absorb RJ's contract.

17. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Hartline doesnt drop many and Gibson is way cheaper. When you make 60million dollars, catch like it.

18. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I love how you're giving up on Wallace after 5 games yet you're one of the biggest Ireland supporters here after 6 years. You realize Ireland signed Wallace, right?

19. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    ROFL...you wish we had won so you wouldnt have to look at threads? Seriously? Unfortunately, I think you are not alone. Its seems to me people get more fired up about people commenting on the team sucking than they do that the team sucks.

20. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    So Gibson dropping what would have been an easy TD is ok because he's cheaper?

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So you're going to pretend that we as a society don't have expectations that match with cost? I mean asked why there's more talk about Wallace than Gibson, and once that question is answered, you want to pretend that reason doesn't exist.

I expect a Mercedes to perform better than a Corolla. I also will cut someone a break if they failed once or twice if they are usually clutch for us. Wallace has a had numerous poor plays that have lead to a loss the last two weeks.

22. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Exactly.

23. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    This is true. But RT is our QB. He sucks right now, but hes not going anywhere.

24. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    No. Not at all. I am all for castigating him to death. I am just not concerned with restructuring or eliminating his contract.

25. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Of course there are high expectations, which are fine. But pretending that Wallace was the only guy who dropped passes yesterday is just inaccurate.

Also, all this talk about Wallace, obscures the real issue which is the o-line. Part of the reason we can't take advantage of Wallace's skill set is because the o-line can't give RT enough time to let the deeper plays develop, which I wager is a big reason why RT is routinely short on deep throws. He has to throw too early.

Califin and Ducken like this.
  26. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Show me someone on the OLine making 60 million and I'll want him gone, too.

27. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Meh, overpaying in free agency rarely ever translates to wins. Peyton being the exception to that. We went a bit overboard and I still don't see any chemistry between Tannehill and his receivers other than Hartline.

28. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    It's been 5 games. Why are we even having this discussion now?

And do you want Martin and Clabo gone any less because they aren't making a ton of money?

And let's see we cut Wallace today, how exactly do you think that would benefit the team, or are you giving up on the season completely at 3-2?

Califin likes this.
  29. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Did I miss the Reshad Jones pick six? He might not be having as consistent a year as he did last year but the man still makes big plays, lets let him breathe a little bit, maybe he gets back into the swing of things.

30. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    What? When did this happen?

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No one said he was the only guy that dropped passes.

This is so frustrating sometimes. You asked a question, were given an actual answer and now you're acting as if you asked different question. Wallace has a bigger spotlight due to his contract, history, complaints and weekly performance so far than Brandon Gibson. Its the same reason if a 7th rd pick doesn't make the team its less of a story than a 1st rd pick not making the team. They both failed to do what was needed to make the team, they both dropped balls, missed assignments, got in trouble, etc but one them gets the attention.

finfansince72 and STColeridge like this.
  32. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    There's a difference between criticizing Wallace (which I have no issue with) and wondering what the cap hit would be to cut him after 5 games.

For a guy who has preached patience as much as you have, I'm surprised you're even entertaining this notion or giving it credence.

33. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    This discussion is moot if we had an OL. People can point to anything.........but in the end it will always always come back to the OL.

Ducken likes this.
  34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    What the hell are you talking about?

You asked why people were talking about the Wallace drops and not the Gibson drop. I explained it very clearly. What does any of that have to do with patience or cutting Wallace?

35. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    This thread is about what the cap hit would be if we cut Wallace.

36. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    This is overreacting at it's finest. Look we wanted Mike Wallace to get the ball...AND HE DID. We wanted Reshad Jones to make a play...AND HE DID. I have no problem with either player and I think both will be fine. The issue I have is with the offensive line plain and simple. We could use an upgrade at cornerback but that guy may in fact already be on the roster (i'm high of Jamar Taylor and Will Davis). The offensive line stinks! 52 yard field goal vrs 57 yard field goal...Thats the O-lines fault. Does Tannehill need to improve some things? Yes he most certainly does...but so did Peyton Manning going into his second year lol.

Ducken likes this.
  37. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Yes, evidence-based opinions are sometimes inconvenient and contradictory. If I were deciding I liked Jeff Ireland and excusing everything he did, then that would be a contradiction or problematic.

It's not really a five games thing when people had a pretty good idea this would be the case ahead of time. A lot of people had pretty clear explanations of why Mike Wallace would be a bad fit before he played a game. I was on the fence about him, but it's looking like alen1, Stringer Bell, and a couple of others had this pretty well called.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Please pay attention.

All I did was answer your specific question. Nowhere did I endorse cutting Wallace or claim to not have patience anymore.

39. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You do realize that Gibson, Hartline, and Clay Success is mostly due to Mike Wallace right? Have you seen the coverages we see, week in and week out? They are not possible WITHOUT Mike Wallace.

40. There is plenty of blame to go around on yesterdays loss to the Ravens. Wallace and his drops certainly were a part of the equation but talking about cutting him is a bit extreme.

I saw plenty of no calls by the refs where our receiver's and our pass rushers were being mugged not to mention at least one offensive pass interference against one our corners.

The offensive line just looked horrible and frankly the play selections were terrible too. All our recievers were haunted by drops and yes Wallace had the most. Miller did next to nothing and was unable to get us short yardage at critical points in the game. Sturgis struggled at times none bigger than the game tieing field goal at the end. Take your pick on who you want to blame but there is plenty to go around from where I am sitting.

The only bright spot yesterday was RT. He was far from perfect but he did keep them in the game despite having no pocket, no running game, and recievers who had the dropsies, and not getting several flags thrown that really should of been. I think they have found themselves a legitimate QB

Ducken likes this.