1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wallace turned down $76M from Vikings - but have some salt ready

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ronnie Bass, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Because you're going to have to take a grain of it when you find out this is according to his father:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed-down-76-million-minnesota-vikings/2417579/

But still it feels good to know someone didn't come here just for the money. If true, fathers will always oversell their sons and their stories about them.

DOLPHAN1, Fin-Omenal and Zippy like this.
  2. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    If true, when you account for taxes and weather/atmosphere, is pick miami too.

South Florida is way better than Mall of America

SICK likes this.
  3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    He made the right choice.The Dolphins are on the upswing .They have a franchise QB and that is important to a WR.

IMO Ponder will never be aything more than a backup QB.The Dolphin owner is rich and has proved he will invest in the future .The Vikes ownership is marginal at best.

The GM of the Vikings is Rick Speilman .....enough said.

And then there is a friendly tax situation, the sun and South Beach.:wink2:

The Rev likes this.
  4. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't believe it for one second. His father is blowing smoke.
    Did anybody see Teddy B on espn today? He said that Wallace's best chance to win was to stay in Pittsbugh. I find that funny because he just smacked the Dolphins. The Steelers are old and they will be rebuilding soon.

GMJohnson likes this.
  5. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    What do you mean Teddy B smacked us?

6. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    He said the best chance for Wallace to win was to stay in Pittsburgh.

7. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, I saw that today. I mentioned it in another thread. Yowza. :)

8. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    They're old and crippled.

9. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Yep, they'll be rebuilding soon, their window is closed.

10. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

With Mike Tomlin and Dick LeBeau coaching you, it's hard to believe they're going anywhere. New England has shown that with a good coach/QB combination, you can retool relatively easily. Just make the right personnel decisions.

305 likes this.
  11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lmao, this is hilarious coming from a Dolphins fan.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    South Beach is closed for Mr Wallace...:shifty:

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Wasn't this already known a few days after we signed him? I know I've heard about this already.

14. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012

Definitely agree. This team is being built the right way now.

15. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yah but him and Todd Haley did not get along and their passing game was getting away from deep passes.

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Does anyone get along with Haley? Guy is such a douche to his guys.

Not really sure what Teddy B. is talking about. Pitt was never going to pay him. And despite their winning tradition and franchise QB, they're playing in a very competitive division. Plus, the offensive system doesn't fit their personnel or QB. I don't think staying in Pitt was guarantee to win anything.

Meanwhile, the dolphins most certainly look to be on the rise with a lot of youth and talent. We have a very good HC and coaching staff too. And despite my concerns and issues with Ireland, we're loaded at the salary cap for the next few years. And as long as he's GM, I find it hard to believe we will experience salary cap hell now that he's gotten us out of it.He doesn't strike me as a guy going "all in" at the risk of destroying his future options.

As far as winning is concerned, hedging his bets on Miami in the long term appears, as of right now, to be pretty smart. Our division is a two horse race between dominate New England and us. While a gap exists between us, there are plenty of reasons to believe the gap will not get bigger. If Tannehill continues to develop into a franchise QB, the gap may not exist whatsoever in the near future.

Even last year, despite the terrible pre season, personnel problems, inexperienced (understatement) QB, rookie HC, etc... We managed to make most teams, even the ones clearly "better," scrap with us for 60 minutes.

Year 2 of the Philbin era; were a team to be feared each and every Sunday. Despite whatever record we end up with.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  17. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the best chance for him to win immediately was in Pitts...the problem was, money, in that case, would have been an issue as Miami was offering more money and no state sales tax... Yeah, we are an up and comer, but Pitts is there already...

However, I think you have to take the figures the father said with a grain of salt anyway... While wanting to win is the motivation he's conveying, it was about the money for him....that's not to say he's going to be a bad team mate or anything, it's just a fact of life...

At this point, before the pads come on, I have no reservations about getting Wallace or how much we spent...

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't know what his father said is so hard to be believed.

First of all the difference in $60 million in Florida money and $76 million in Minnesota money is less significant because of Florida's taxes (its still significant,but still less than $16 million). Also, if the Dolphin's contract is more front loaded the Vikings one, it could actually be more money considering big time players rarely get to the end of their second contracts without being restructured or released. Plus, it was also discussed that Wallace really disliked the cold in Pittsburgh and desperately wanted to come to a warmer climate.

19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    What he doesn't say is how long the contract offer was. If it was $76 million you can just about guarantee it was a 6 year deal which would've paid him $12.7 million a year as opposed to our $12.0 million a year. However with their 7.85% state income tax, the difference probably would've been eaten up. May have been more guaranteed money though. Miami guaranteed 45% of Wallace's contract whereas Minnesota guaranteed only 39.6% of Jennings' contract, however even at those percentages the guaranteed coin in the Minnesota offer would've been more.

20. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    If we don't win the Super Bowl? Lots.

21. Justright

Justright Banned

Feb 23, 2013

So....much...irony...computer exploded. lol

:shifty:

J/K man...

22. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    So if Pittsburgh is a better place for Wallace to win right now, that means the Dolphins will have a worse record this year than the Steelers. That could be a bet?

23. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    That sounds so easy, wish Shula/Marino could have seen the light.

Sceeto likes this.