1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WAlterfootball 2010 mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Oct 21, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

As usual with such mock drafts this far out, they reach a bit and have the Raiders taking:

They have the Phins taking:

Rolando McClain
    Jerry Hughes
    Harry Coleman

Like the Hughes pick, not sure about the McClain pick, have not seen LSU's Coleman play Safety.

To me, unless the ILB is in the Ray Lewis style downhill dominator mode, ILB's are not great bets in round one..imho...

"If" Gresham is there, to me he could be our guy, unless the injury just is not healed properly.

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Ryan Mallet is def a top 10 pick.

3. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Don't know Walter at all but I do know that he listens to his viewers/readers input. I sent him a message about his previous mock and he made some changes to it. For example I told him that NT is not as pressing a need for us now that Paul S is playing well and he changed the 1st pick to MLB. I also told him FS is more of a pressing need then RB and he made another adjustment in the 3rd round.

seems like a cool guy to me.

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You like Hughes but not sure about McClain?

I think you'd find far more people who feel the opposite way.

They both are very good, and I'd love to have them. Getting McClain could be HUGE though for our team.

bakedmatt, ToddsPhins and alen1 like this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, here is what I'm thinking Stitches, is a ILB at that position in the draft, say from #15-#26 a good value?

That I'm not 100% "sold" on, I do believe we need an ILB, I also think we badly need a Te and a tall playmaking type Wr.

Unless P Turner shows something in TC next season, Turner really has to see some playing time, and there is where our lack of injuries is both good and bad.

6. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    If Dez is there I'd take Dez Bryant.

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would take Dez Bryant there, but I value a position like that more than many other people do.

McClain looks to be the best defensive player on the board that I can tell (though Spikes is close). I think very highly of him.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    An interesting name at ILB is Josh Byrnes of Auburn. He can shed blocks and doesn't look bad dropping in coverage. I think he should stay another year but he doesn't look bad as a late second or 3rd rounder IMO. My biggest issue is that he doesn't run all that well laterally it seems.

I'm not so sure Mallett is a top ten pick. He's a streaky thrower IMO. When he's good, he is really good. When he's bad, he's pretty bad.

I really like Jake Locker. He is impressive and reminds me some of Jay Cutler.

9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    this is the kind of draft i'm hoping for though i might want to get another LB in the 3rd. Maybe George Selvie

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I still believe we need a all world type of Te Adamp, our offense requires a Te who can go deep and block and just be great.

I've looked into McClain though, he appears to be a downhill ILB "but" we need a more movement oriented ILB as Crowder is supposed to be the downhill ILB type.

Two run stuffin ILB's means continued poor coverage.

11. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    McClain is not that kind of player. Spikes is much more of a complete LB because he's a better mover. I like Quin Sturvidant at North Carolina but he's 20lbs underweight.

12. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I think people are going to fall in love with his arm much like Joe Flacco.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    walter is a nice guy. He's about 27. Matt McGuire gets a little heated up though from being an egocentric. He doesn't like being challenged AT ALL! I've PO'd him a couple times. LOL. If he came to our site, he'd have a handful of brothers higher on the totem pole. He's young and overphasizes talent, numbers, and physical ability.....but not so much the mental side. Matt changes his mind about player assessments and draft positioning more than a schizophrenic's. :lol:
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He's extremely smart, prepared, and instinctive.... and his brain puts him in the right place at the right time to make big plays, and it will only get better. I love the guy who keeps your entire D in check and motivated, who's smart enough to effectively QB the defense.
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thats what i like about him too. he's a QB on the defensive side. athletically he's good not great but his intangibles are phenomenal

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny Funny TP...:lol:

I tend to watch for the largest player who is moving the most fluidily,.

Most liked Q Groves at Auburn, I loved Pat Sims watched that 300 pd guy chasing people 20 yds downfield when Groves was nowhere to be seen.

To me, Jr's will make this draft memorable, but also no OLB has stood out.

We are likely to draft between #14 and #24, prime Te territory.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  17. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Dez Bryant falling to #26 to the Patsies? :lol: Sorry not happening. I would love Spikes, but I'd love Rolando McClain even more. And if Bryant did fall that far we'd be stupid not to pick him. But obviously he's going top 10...

18. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    he changed it up again now it is

1st : Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florid
    2nd : Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas, never heard before of this guy
    3rd: Harry Coleman, FS, LSU

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't want Kindle anywhere near this team unless it's like the 4th round. I have never seen him do anything to make me think he's worth a high pick.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  20. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm really hoping we take McClain or Spikes this year. We shouldn't be in the bidding for the players I really want, but I like what I see out of these two. The middle of our defense (NT, ILB, S) needs serious attention.

21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    that's an interesting outlook Padre about your "largest player". So I take it your a trenches type guy?

I agree on the OLB's. Nothing concrete right now.

So you're leaning toward Gresham?
    Posted via Mobile Device

22. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    No OLBs means that Merriman is going to get a huge payday at the end of this season ....

23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why? What has he done to get a big pay day? He's been basically absent from games this year and came off a major knee injury.

Stitches likes this.
  24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not neccessarily, I've seen big cats who can run like the wind but couldn't play football in the NFL.

I'm more of a strategy maven TP, I love the analysis of players done by the coaches and then compare their analysis to mine and see how close I was to seeing things the way a Coach would see them.

As for Gresham, this is a tricky situation, we do not know what they think of Chad Henne, if he is what we all hope he is, a Upper Echeleon NFL Qb for a long time, then we have to get him some weapons, Gresh is good, but not a real weapon, Spiller is a weapon, Bryant is a weapon, but we also know of the Tuna's aversion to taking Rb's with high picks.

I also feel the middle of Defense, and our team speed on defense, is lacking.

How many Te drag routes can we watch our Ilb's and S's not be able to cover before that becomes a need in the draft?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  25. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Well put. So what you're saying is this is going to be ONE tough draft to figure out regarding what friggin direction we'll go?! LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :shifty:

Hopefully the next 10 games will make this a little easier for us. :lol:

26. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    These Walter Football picks are just made by bloggers who follow the draft like everybody else....I don't think their opinions are any better or worse than most people on here. I prefer to look at the top prospects at each position and then see if they fit our needs. I think our biggest need right now is an ILB like Spikes or McClain. We also need a beast NT, a WR who can catch the ball, and I think we could use a better catching TE then Fasano. I think Vontae Davis and Smith will be good future d-backs, but we could always use another top Safety. Lots can happen between now and next year's draft but I think McClain of Alabama would be the guy I would go after.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Everyone had us taking OLB's in this draft, Sintim, Kruger, Veikune, who knows what they will do this time around whether or not Bill Parcells is even here for the draft process?

Eegads he needs to stay another cycle, look at that idiot Peterson's last couple of drafts in KC, they were all players the Chiefs were rumored to be shopping around the NFL.

28. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    some one may be getting a good deal with Merriman. He was very productive pre-injury and sometimes is takes a couple years to get back to old form.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Agreed but why would he get a big payday if he hasnt' done squat this year and was injured seriously all of last?

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm not sure why people are ignoring the fact that the Merriman's and Roth's of the NFL won't be free agents this offseason, with the CBA being voided, they have one more year tacked onto their service unless a deal is reached this offseason.

I'm about 90% sure about that because there was a joke making the rounds about Merriman burning down Upshaw's office when he found out, and the offices did catch on fire.

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    or a couple of shots. :shifty:
    Posted via Mobile Device

32. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    They have us taking Spikes not McClain and i think Arrelious Benn is a first round pick