1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning for anyone getting a standalone Blu-ray player

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dolphin1184, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
  2. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Which brings me to the question- How did Blue ray win out?

HD DVD made Dolby True HD standard, BR didn't, HD DVD players had Ethernet ports that allowed their firmware to be upgraded, BR players didn't. Blue Ray players were more expensive then HD players and didn't offer a lower cost 1080i option. BR disks are also more expensive then HD DVD's.

And yet Blue Ray will win the format war, it doesn't make sense to me. At least its not like Beta Max where a clearly inferior format is going to win.

3. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    And HD-DVD's had HD-DVD/DVD Combos that you could use with older players and PC/laptops which I found convenient. It's why I chose to buy a 360 HD-DVD drive (never knew that I'd end up winning a PS3 later). But at least around here, BR disks for consumers are no different in price than HD-DVD's. You'd think it'd be otherwise.

Blu-ray won out solely because it had the better and more enthusiastic allies in its pocket. Disney, Sony, and WB are consistently at or near the top of sales and have promoted their lineups with vigor. HD-DVD had Microsoft but Microsoft's support and commitment was lukewarm. Had M$ done something like make HD-DVD the standard disc for X-Box 360 and better connectivity with PC's, tide could've been turned.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Blu-Ray is winning because of a recent sales surge this Christmas, plus the addition of Fox and Time-Warner to the fold.

Player pricing is negligible, because about 95% of the market has yet to adopt either standard, and won't do so until prices come down. Blu-Ray players will be much cheaper (and much better) by the time most people are ready to adopt them.

In this case, I'm pretty sure the better format won out, and Profile 2.0 players will fix most of the complaints people have with the format.